Scared

• Thread starter Thread starter James1_27
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James1_27

They told me I would be and now I know. I am scared. When I went to the seminary I was ready for a no, for a “oh we think you are not ready to join the seminary” or something.

Instead I’ve been asked to join next october.

and I’m scared. I’m 33 and I’m scared. 🙂 nervous, can’t stop my mind, etc…

:help:

40.png
James1_27:
They told me I would be and now I know. I am scared. When I went to the seminary I was ready for a no, for a “oh we think you are not ready to join the seminary” or something.

Instead I’ve been asked to join next october.

What are you afraid of?

What is it that you are scared of? At this point I would look at seminary as another form of higher education, like graduate school. I know quite a few men that went thru seminary and then decided not to become a priest. The point I am trying to make is take it one step at a time. Obviously God has called you for this, and He wouldn’t do that if he didn’t think you could handle it.
Please tell us why you scared?

mostly I don’t know… it’s like when you are about to play a superbowl I guess…

but also I am sure my family is not going to be happy about this…

40.png
James1_27:
mostly I don’t know… it’s like when you are about to play a superbowl I guess…

but also I am sure my family is not going to be happy about this…
If you have ‘the calling’ I would not second guess our Lord. My brother is a priest and he was ordained when he was 39 (jubilee year 2000). My brother had a ‘calling’ since the age of 8, but of course he had to prepare himself in life, prayer, and devotion to our Lord.

My father was overjoyed when Edward, my brother, was ordained. In doing so, my father became Catholic a year and a half before he died. As for your parents, if they have aspirations for you, (and I am sure they do), remember this: What is it that YOU want to do, even though your parents may be disappointed. Remember, what the Lord said (paraphasing here), “if you love you father, mother, sister, brother more than Me, you cannot be a disciple of mine”. The Lord is calling you and it in your heart: GO FOR IT. I would be glad to hook you up with my brother, if you wish.

I will be praying for you, it is not often to receive this calling, It’s too bad we don’t have more men ‘called’ in the service of our Lord,

Go with God!
Edwin

40.png
James1_27:
**OF COURSE YOU’RE SCARED, HONEY!!! ** This is a huge, potentially life-changing step for you - one that will open up tremendous possibilities for serving God. THEREFORE, the evil one does not want to see you go through with it. Both humanly and supernaturally, being scared is perfectly normal and to be expected. It is a temptation from the devil. Talk it over with your spiritual director, and pray, pray, pray. Talking about a temptation with your director will often make it vanish. We all (taking the liberty of speaking for everyone who reads this) will pray for you, too. Come on, everybody, stop for one moment and say a Hail Mary for James1_27!

Betsy

I’m in the same boat, although I’m not an old-timer like you. 😃

I’m not scared about the seminary, but I am certainly excited about it. I have the luxury of knowing most of the people who will be in my class, and I know that they are very loving, orthodox, Christlike Catholics.

You have to wait until October? I get to start in August. 👍

Good luck discerning your vocation…speaking of which, what had you been doing before you entered the seminary? i.e. what field were you in?

Like someone else already said, it is normal to be scared. We all have a calling and if the priesthood is your calling, then it is your calling. Scared is normal, and you wouldn’t be human if you never knew fear.
On a different note, my calling was to be a husband and a father of at least 2 children. My kids are 2.5 Y.O. and 6 months old, I am scared all the time. My oldest boy fall down a ladder a week ago, almost killed me watching his pain. Also, try watching TV for an hour and then figure out a way to raise 2 children Catholic in this world. Scares the poop out of me! :eek:

Respectfully, Mike

P.S. I respect you regardless of your decision, for just entertaining the idea of becoming a priest. If priesthood is your vocation, know that you are a very special person. You will be a blessing to thousands of people and will help more people than you will probably ever know. I have never told any priest what they mean to me, so I will say it to you.
I love you for what you will do (assuming it is your vocation 👍 ) and respect you more than you will ever know. I wish you the best with your decision and hope and pray for you and your vocation. Remember, even Christ knew fear in the Garden.

It is just like any other conversion. First you get it in your head and then you get it in your heart. I know a spanking brand new Priest who took about five years to discern his vocation. For four years he was not sure if he really wanted to do it. Then, after a visit to a Marian shrine and saying a Rosary, the question vanished from his mind. Now he says without question, he is very sure. Have a little faith, you are not in this decision alone… You will have plenty of time for discernment and they wont let you take those permanent vows unless you are sure. Spend some time in front of the Blessed Sacrement and talk to someone who can really help you with this problem.

40.png
Sanosuke:
I’m in the same boat, although I’m not an old-timer like you. 😃

I’m not scared about the seminary, but I am certainly excited about it. I have the luxury of knowing most of the people who will be in my class, and I know that they are very loving, orthodox, Christlike Catholics.

You have to wait until October? I get to start in August. 👍

Good luck discerning your vocation…speaking of which, what had you been doing before you entered the seminary? i.e. what field were you in?
You are not an old timer like me because you have not been separated from the Church for years 😦 That’s why I am starting so old and that’s why I was ready for a ‘no’ but not for a ‘yes’. Even made a written confession…

August is because this is Spain and in Spain traditionally courses start in september or october. (Kids had to help with the crops you know)

You want the story of my life? 🙂 Suffice it to say I have worked in children homes and lately as a lawyer (though I hate the second). So why did I study law? To be honest, it was close to home and I could pay it - university is much cheaper here around €600 a year.

Try www.vocation.com they can help you if you have a vocation specific question and they also offer sprititual direction, speaking of which do you have a sprititual director and if so what are they saying about this? If not I suggest that you find one, a preist that you like and trust soon.

Unfortunately, because families don’t actively encourage religious vocations, many young men and women assume that their families are against such vocations. It’s not an uncommon concern among seminary candidates.

Fortunately, most are pleasantly surprised by the actual reaction among family, friends, and co-workers.

Thanks for the prayers, they are working!. More will follow, now I gotta work, still have a ‘real’ 😉 job…

Dear all

Thanks for your prayers and kind words, but please don’t feed my vanity so much 🙂

Have any of you seen Children’s Underground? If not try to take a peep of that documentary, you could understand what I am being called for. I want to be the priest of the street children, the unwanted, the abandoned. When I doubt about my vocation, mostly because it will take 6 years the images of being able to confess, to lead Mass, to baptize come to me and it’s like I’m the merriest man.

Not that I reject leading a parish. God knows both in Romania Ukraine and Moldova there is a need for priests (and elsewhere but the Vatican! 😃 ).

So bassically right now I want to be a mission worker in Eastern Europe and freeze to dead there. 🙂

-that or Pope 😛 -

follow your heart, pray unceasingly about it, and always know your family and friends will support you… i wish you luck, peace and a visible answer from God… 👍

It is natural and good to be nervous and scared about a major life change. The degree of discomfort is sometimes related to personality and one’s own natural level of risk tolerance. Often these things are simply perceptions that do not coincide with the reality of the situation. That’s just the stuff of everyday life.

When the Holy Spirit touches our heart we are stirred to change. Sometimes the call is to our particular vocation in life. That call is often life changing, and that’s what causes us to be nervous. When the Lord calls us, as opposed to a call from a friend on a cell phone, it can be a bit un-nerving. After all, you are hearing from the Almighty, Himself. What a privilege that is.

Realizing that it is, indeed, God calling should be a source of immense joy. It gives you the opportunity to say “yes” to whatever God’s will is for you. You have time for prayer and discernment. God will lead you as He will. If you follow the Lord, you will always be at peace. Prayer and discernment will go a long way to help in this regard.

You are in my prayers.

One more thing. You are 33 years old. Jesus was also 33 years old when it came time for Him to fulfill His mission. We all know from the Agony in the Garden that he was filled with fear of the coming ordeal. It’s always, however, “Not my will, but Thy will be done.” Just let God’s grace fill you every step of the way.

40.png
James1_27:
I’m 33 and I’m scared.
I will be turning 33 next month and I am doing my first year of philosophy. I was working as a doctor before I came to join religious life. I had trouble breaking that desire to my parents, i was scared, you may say. But all went well, and here I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back