Scariest movie you ever saw?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dorpus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dorpus

Guest
I just got home from watching Mama. It was the scariest movie I ever saw by a wide margin. I’m still feeling chest pains. Everyone in the audience was scared witless. There was a police sergeant who stood inside the theater for the whole movie, looking sultry. He was there for a practical purpose, in a theater full of people in near-panic. When I came home, I crossed myself and made sure the cross was still hanging on the wall. I drank 3 glasses of whiskey and went into a stupor to make the fear go away.

Ever notice that scary movies tend to have Catholicism in it? This one did too.
 
I just got home from watching Mama. It was the scariest movie I ever saw by a wide margin. I’m still feeling chest pains. Everyone in the audience was scared witless. There was a police sergeant who stood inside the theater for the whole movie, looking sultry. He was there for a practical purpose, in a theater full of people in near-panic. When I came home, I crossed myself and made sure the cross was still hanging on the wall. I drank 3 glasses of whiskey and went into a stupor to make the fear go away.

Ever notice that scary movies tend to have Catholicism in it? This one did too.
The Entity. Scared the daylights out of me, because supposedly it was based on fact. :eek:
 
The scariest movie-watching experience I ever had was when Prince of Darkness came out. Overall, it was just creepy, but it got the entire audience on the edges of their seats. At the very tail end of the movie, the tension got so high that,

just as Jameson Parker’s fingers are about to touch the mirror and then the screen cut to black,

every single person in the packed theater screamed. It wasn’t even just a bunch of startled yelps, but a theater full of people screaming absolute, bloody murder. It was such an awesome, utterly terrifying moment that nobody even tried to say they didn’t, at least not that we heard. It may not have been the greatest ending ever, as some people in the theater were claiming, but it was easily one of the most entertaining moments I ever had at the movies.
 
Good evening, dorpus,

The scariest movie I’ve seen was Aliens. When the alien came out of the cat … I just sort of froze up. When she blew the Alien out of the life boat, I was so happy.
 
Probably “Insidious”.

There’s another one whose title escapes me, from years ago
 
Probably a tie between “Alien” and, in a whole different genre, “No Country for Old Men.” That Javier Bardem character . . . . .
 
Without question, Angel Heart. When Louie Cypher (sp?) tells Harry Angel that HE is Johnny Favorite (the Faustian object of Harry’s investigation), and you see the doubt creeping into Harry’s mind as he looks into the mirror, it’s a moment of high terror—the notion that you can do terrible things and not even remember them. How would one navigate through such a moral minefield if that were true?

The Exorcist probably WOULD have been the most scary movie for me, IF I had seen it unedited, on the big screen, initially. I didn’t. I saw edited versions on TV for years, which eventually lost their punch after enough viewings. Never saw it unedited until some time in the mid-1990s. But it was scary enough, I can see how it must have terrified people seeing it in 1973 for the first time, unedited, on the big screen, without a clue as to its subject matter until they actually saw it. I’m glad I’m not part of that category of people.
 
Without question, Angel Heart. When Louie Cypher (sp?) tells Harry Angel that HE is Johnny Favorite (the Faustian object of Harry’s investigation), and you see the doubt creeping into Harry’s mind as he looks into the mirror, it’s a moment of high terror—the notion that you can do terrible things and not even remember them. How would one navigate through such a moral minefield if that were true?

The Exorcist probably WOULD have been the most scary movie for me, IF I had seen it unedited, on the big screen, initially. I didn’t. I saw edited versions on TV for years, which eventually lost their punch after enough viewings. Never saw it unedited until some time in the 1990s. But it was scary enough, I can see how it must have terrified people seeing it in 1973 for the first time, unedited, on the big screen, without a clue as to its subject matter until they actually saw it. I’m glad I’m not part of that category of people.
I saw the Exorcist “director’s cut” on the big cinema screen when they showed it for one night in 2000. They also brought it back in the “director’s cut” version for a one night showing in 2010.
 
Devil’s Advocate with Al Pacino. I laugh though because the devil gets beat in the end at his own game as usual haha
 
Good evening, dorpus,

The scariest movie I’ve seen was Aliens. When the alien came out of the cat … I just sort of froze up. When she blew the Alien out of the life boat, I was so happy.
At first, I thought you were talking about the 1st “Alien” (singular) movie. I saw the 1st one at the theater and, felt very unnerved afterwards … the alien exploding through the shipmates chest cavity got to me, too.

But I would have to put Jurassic Park up there too. Yet I was more thrilled afterwards, than left unnerved like “Alien”.
 
Devil’s Advocate with Al Pacino. I laugh though because the devil gets beat in the end at his own game as usual haha
I think you better re-watch the end of “The Devil’s Advocate”. I thought at the very end, when it appeared that the devil had been beat, Al Pacino comes out and says (of Keanu Reeves), “Pride - Get’s 'em every time” or something like that, and it is apparent that the game is not over.

I also found a couple of the Paranormal Activity movies pretty scarey.

I haven’t seen “Mama”. It sounds scarey though.

Peace,
John
 
I think you better re-watch the end of “The Devil’s Advocate”. I thought at the very end, when it appeared that the devil had been beat, Al Pacino comes out and says (of Keanu Reeves), “Pride - Get’s 'em every time” or something like that, and it is apparent that the game is not over.

I also found a couple of the Paranormal Activity movies pretty scarey.

I haven’t seen “Mama”. It sounds scarey though.

Peace,
John
He said “vanity, definitely my favorite sin.” But he lost because Keanu Reeves was defending a sex offender he knew was guilty and when he had this err, more than two hour thought in 15 minutes…, he goes back in the courtroom and told them he won’t defend him. He chose morality over vanity (the whole “I can’t lose a case” thing). But Mama looks really scary. I don’t usually watch scary movies, I’m kind of a big baby haha
 
There’s a video on YouTube taken from a head cam as a guy is climbing a 1768 foot tower to change the light bulb at the top. It is hands down the scariest thing I’ve ever seen, aside from Rosemary’s Baby. Just wait until he gets to the top. And I’m someone who generally enjoys the thrill of high heights.

youtube.com/watch?v=6lZyHCJOqwg&feature=youtube_gdata_player
 
Matt, gonna watch that video don’t have time right now.

Sixth Sense scared the poo out of me. Don’t know why, but I was really identifying with that little boy, and me a 50-something adult at the time.
 
The Exorcist probably WOULD have been the most scary movie for me, IF I had seen it unedited, on the big screen, initially. I didn’t. I saw edited versions on TV for years, which eventually lost their punch after enough viewings. Never saw it unedited until some time in the mid-1990s. But it was scary enough, I can see how it must have terrified people seeing it in 1973 for the first time, unedited, on the big screen, without a clue as to its subject matter until they actually saw it. I’m glad I’m not part of that category of people.
I saw The Exorcist back in the 70s on the big screen. Very scary. My Dad gave me Hostage to the Devil autographed by Malachi Martin to read at the around the same time. That took me from little kid Catholic to adult Catholic. Psycho scared the **** out of me when I was a little kid. The Shining scared the **** out me when I was an adult. I don’t really like scary movies. Dracula was in my closet and under my bed at night and hiding outside the shower in my parents room when I was a kid…didn’t like him too much either.
 
If it counts, because I only saw the first forty minutes before quitting, Saw I.

The Woman in Black was a scary one as well, I never did watch the end.
 
Exorcist…unedited…still the scariest…ever…
I’m not sure if it was the unedited version of the film I saw last year, but it didn’t scare so much as disgust me. Actually, I laughed at the scene where the girl “flip-flops” on her bed. Maybe my reaction would have been different if I watched it during the original release.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top