School shooter drills terrorize our kids pointlessly

  • Thread starter Thread starter Guinness
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago, the hospital where I work held an “Active Shooter Drill.”

The drill had to be stopped a half hour early because so many people were upset, crying, shaking, having panic attacks, etc. It was pretty awful. We saw some footage of it on the news, but the story was about the stopping of the drill before it was brought to a conclusion.

I think the drill probably triggered something, perhaps underlying fears, in many people. We do live in a violent city, with the highest murder rate (by percentage) in Illinois. Our home was shot a few years ago, and our neighborhood was the site where a policeman was killed by another man who was also killed by the policeman. I can drive through our city and remember a crime for almost every street.

So maybe lots of the hospital workers just couldn’t handle more violence.

If hospital workers, who are used to experiencing trauma on a daily basis, are upset by an “Active Shooter Drill,” I can’t even imagine how teachers would manage.

We have never had another shooter drill since that day. I hope we don’t. And I hope we never have a mass shooting anywhere in our country.
 
Last edited:
I do question some of their math though if they think you are more likely to die from an asteroid than from a bus/train accident or an earthquake
Major earthquakes are rare and not that deadly (in the US).
 
Very true, but I don’t recall anyone dying in an asteroid strike.
I suppose it’s like winning the reverse lotto.

Edit: I suppose exposure to risk affects the calculation. Idk
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top