Its their motives and the select facts which are in question. They wish to make the Bible look foolish. If Moses wrote a more accurate statement, who among his audience would have understood it? Historical context is ignored. Moses, raised in Egyptian royalty probably had the best education available. Besides, the atmosphere of the Earth is a barrier. It shields the Earth from harmful rays and solid objects.
That is a post hoc explanation. I found a very interesting article
here. It’s from the BioLogos Forum, a religious group committed to find harmony between science and Christianity. They agree with you in that they think people like me are overly nitpicky when pointing out items in the Bible that are scientifically inaccurate. There is one point though that they disagree with you on, and that’s the meaning of raqia in its context in Genesis. They go into detail as to why raqia can’t mean a non-solid object. I hope you look it over. It’s fairly short.
Now I know you can point to various apologetics articles which state how raqia
can possibly mean expanse, but I doubt you’ll find one that will show that this is the most likely usage nor historically the one that was accepted at the time.
So expanse cannot be used for gas?
How does one hammer or beat out gas? Where in a cloud does one have to strike to spread it out?
If you have seas and dry land then you do not have a solid smooth Earth.
You misunderstand. I’m not talking about land masses which separate the seas, I’m talking about the waters above the earth that are separated from the waters below the earth (the seas, oceans, etc.). What are those waters above the earth?
Why would you expect Moses to write scientifically accurate statements according to 21st century standards 3000+ years ago when his audience probably would not understand any of it?
I would expect an ordinary man from millennia ago who is trying to explain things like our origins and how things work to come up with theories that will eventually be proven wrong. The problem is that Moses was no ordinary man. He had the power of God behind him. God, who can not lie. He guided Moses and his people to the truth, and one does that without introducing falsehoods. I agree that it’s not necessary to explain these things by 21st century standards, but at the same time even the layman’s explanation must not contain gross inaccuracies. We explain how the earth revolves around the sun and how the moon revolves around the earth to little kids in school each day. While we don’t go into the laws of motion, we give a simple explanation that doesn’t contain errors that we later have to explain away.
I clipped out the part about slavery. It’s my fault for bringing it up, as I sometimes forget that people actually defend it. The fact one of your main arguments regarding slavery in the Bible was the practically of whips lets me know where you stand. I’ve participated in a number of slavery topics on CAF. If you want to take that part of the discussion to a new thread or in direct messaging with me that would be fine; but we’re already going far afield of the original topic of science in the Bible (which I noted I am partially to blame).
the Bible, which is multiple compiled is the evidence. Do you have anything from the ancients which validates your assumptions? Again there are extra biblical sources. Those sources (Josephus) cited earlier sources. The earlier did not survive history.
Earlier you were so excited to point out archeological discoveries of places and people with names that match those in the Bible, but now when there is no archeological evidence of the Exodus you find that the Bible is sufficient evidence for it. Archeological evidence (for which is there is none) is unneccessary and/or did not survice history. I find that fascinating.
Where is the science in that? Anal sex is unhealthy and non reproductive as is female/female. Men and women have compatible reproductive organs for the purpose of reproduction. There is the hard science.
Your argument is about the Bible warning of unsafe practices. I brought up a similar practice that is safer that is frowned upon. I’m aware that it is non-reproductive.
I should point out that heterosexual sex for women was far more dangerous than any anal sex just when you figure in deaths during childbirth. Of course that’s “post-Fall” biology so I’m assuming we don’t count that.
There is no prohibition against eating of meat and dairy in those verses. Christians view the Old thru the lens of the New. It is really a harmless way to put a fence around the Torah for Jews. Overall the Old contains a healthy diet which was my point. It does not mean Christians should include locusts in their diet.
If you feel that such dietary prohibitions are for Jews and not for Christians, that’s fine. But to say that those verses don’t say not to mix meat and dairy goes against several thousand years of Jewish interpretation. Remember Christianity is an offspring of Judaism, and since there has been a Judaism they have seen those writings to tell them how to prepare food. As someone who lives next door to both Shloimy’s Kosher World and
Glatt Bite in Lakewood, NJ. I can assure the Jewish people are quite confident in those passages’ meanings.