Scribbling in bibles

• Thread starter Thread starter kellie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kellie

I have had my copy of the Good News Bible since I was 15, and it was part of my schooling.

Is there any law against scribbling in a bible?

I want to really start getting to know the Bible, finding out which passages I like, highlighting words that I need to research, discovering places in the world, things like this…
But it is hard if I cant actually write and highlight in the book.

Are there any ideas for this please?

They actually sell special dry highlighters that won’t bleed through.

As for scribbling and stuff in the Bible…I don’t know. I have considered getting a journal or a notebook (I love the ones that sell in B&N) and writting in it. Mainly b/c I have the feeling that I will probably change my mind or learn new things so that the old notations won’t apply and it would just irk me every time I see them. I already have a bookmark that has several different colored ribbons to section off different parts, I’m also considered getting tabmarks.

Those are just a couple ideas that I had. 🙂

40.png
MParedon:
They actually sell special dry highlighters that won’t bleed through.

As for scribbling and stuff in the Bible…I don’t know. I have considered getting a journal or a notebook (I love the ones that sell in B&N) and writting in it. Mainly b/c I have the feeling that I will probably change my mind or learn new things so that the old notations won’t apply and it would just irk me every time I see them. I already have a bookmark that has several different colored ribbons to section off different parts, I’m also considered getting tabmarks.

Those are just a couple ideas that I had. 🙂
My thoughts too…if I scribble notes…I may run out of room in the margin.
The bookmark idea is good … thanks 🙂

I’d get two Bibles. One for study that you can highlight and mark things and one that you keep “clean” for devotional reading. That is what I did. Having a journal handy to jot your thoughts is a great idea. The pages in the Bibles tend not to have enough room to write a thought. I do not think that there is any rule against putting your own words on a page in this case, since you are neither rewriting the Bible or trying to deface it.

40.png
kellie:
I certainly hope there’s any law against it, my Bibles are well “scribbled” and highlighted.

Lots of scribble in mine I although I am hoping to buy a new one for devotional use. 🙂

40.png
kellie:
My thoughts too…if I scribble notes…I may run out of room in the margin.
The bookmark idea is good … thanks 🙂
Pretty sure Karl tells us to do so in his how to become an apologist tract… anyway I read it somewhere on this site. highlight, underline, tab (I made bookmarks with lots of ribbons). I also keep a clean version to read out of separately. Write away. I tend to find I have too much writing to do to do it all in there so a separate journal (also ends up being highlighted tabbed underlined and bookmarked) is necessary.

I sometimes do. I use a study bible to do so though. I started doing that about 20 years ago but I always feel a little guilty about it. I know it may shock a few people who think (Catholic’s never used to read the Bible) but my great Aunt was a very stanch Catholic lady who sold Catholic Bibles ever since I can remember.She had a Catholic bookstore in her home and started it way back in the 1930’s as I recall. Yes…that was last century. 😉 She was a wonderful Catholic example of a woman who believed solidly in the foundation of scripture and the fact we were expected to know scripture as the Catholic Church teaches it.

We all got one for every milestone in our life. She did not give them to us to gather dust either. We were expected to read the scriptures of the day as pertained to the readings at Mass. We took notes and stuck them in our bible. BUT we were never to write in them, the Bible was Holy and not to be profaned.

I started out thinking that marking my Bible up was to profane it, but have since decided that not reading it to the point of marking it up is more profane.

It helps me to find passages I wouldn’t otherwise find my way back to.

I know of one woman who color codes her highlighters–that way she can see which passages struck her at what times. A rather nice way to chronicle her journey. I’m not organized enought o do this, but my Bible is tabbed, bookmarked, and written all over. It is obviously a well-used friend. The Word and I have grown very close through the years and my Bible shows the years as much as I do.

I, too, bought a new Ignatius Bible for meditation, but got so frustrated looking for and not finding some of my favorite passages when I need them in a hurry that I have started highlighting in it, too.

40.png
kellie:
I have had my copy of the Good News Bible since I was 15, and it was part of my schooling.

I want to really start getting to know the Bible, finding out which passages I like, highlighting words that I need to research, discovering places in the world, things like this…

Scribble away, friend. My Bible margins are full of notes!!!

I write in the margins, I highlight. It helps me in my study of the Bible. And, it’s pretty neat to see what I highlighted years ago, what was jumping out at me then.

Just another angle on this:

I have a minor collection of old books. I have quite a few medical advisors, old nursing books, old encyclopedias, home manangement and recipe books, and some religious ones, all from 1860s to 1940’s. I love when the books have inscriptions in the front or notes written on the pages! It is so meaningful to have something written by someone who owned the book, and used it! 🙂

40.png
HelpingHands:
Just another angle on this:

I have a minor collection of old books. I have quite a few medical advisors, old nursing books, old encyclopedias, home manangement and recipe books, and some religious ones, all from 1860s to 1940’s. I love when the books have inscriptions in the front or notes written on the pages! It is so meaningful to have something written by someone who owned the book, and used it! 🙂
I do also. An amusing thing to me is that we have my husbands grand mothers bible. She wrote lot’s of notes in it. Good Southern Baptist lady who studied it well and took lots of notes at her church. What cracks me up is that over the years and with different ministers giving the teaching, the notes on the same scripture were different. No consistency to be had. Whatever the pastor of the day thought it meant, that’s what she wrote.

I always wondered if she ever found that a bit confusing.

This is not meant as a criticism of writing or highlighting in your Bible. I highlight even magazine articles in magazines that will be thrown away after I read them or books that I’ll never read again.

But I’ve never been able to bring myself to highlight or write in my Bible despite after “enviously” watching the lady who does Adoration with me highlight and scribble her entire hour pledging to do the same. I’ve even got a bookmark with little gap in it to facilitate highlighting only the line and do it straight. I guess to me (and me only) it is in some way for me sacriligious to deface the Bible. If you started this thread because you think you might feel the same way, follow your gut and do what you think is right. In this case, I am a relativist! 😉

for me it depends, if you have had that bible blessed then don’t do it. personally I keep a pile of diffrent bible versions (more than 20) that I have written in most of the chapters to, and one that I keep nice.

I’ve never been able to bring myself to write in my Bible. I tried a journal–that didn’t work…what I ended up doing is using post-it notes, writing the relevant info (book, chapter, verse) and then whatever my note to myself was. Then, I stick the glue part somewhere around that text and let it hang out of the Bible. The only problem with this is that I have so many post it notes that my Bible looks like someone’s junk drawer. I guess I could transfer all notes to a journal…

Penitent

40.png
kellie:

I write in the margins, and underline, but I rarely highlight, because it shows through on the other side.

40.png
Penitent:
I’ve never been able to bring myself to write in my Bible. I tried a journal–that didn’t work…what I ended up doing is using post-it notes, writing the relevant info (book, chapter, verse) and then whatever my note to myself was. Then, I stick the glue part somewhere around that text and let it hang out of the Bible. The only problem with this is that I have so many post it notes that my Bible looks like someone’s junk drawer. I guess I could transfer all notes to a journal…

Penitent
In my opinion,just because you have had your Bible blessed is no reason not to highlight or make notes in it .
If doing this is going to help you know God’s Word better than it will be a great blessing to you !

Trick

40.png
Trick:
In my opinion,just because you have had your Bible blessed is no reason not to highlight or make notes in it .
If doing this is going to help you know God’s Word better than it will be a great blessing to you !

Trick
I haven’t had any of my Bibles blessed…I think it’s more that I just have something weird about writing in books, because as I think of it, I never wrote notes in any book, not even college textbooks or other research books…there’s this 4-year Biblical Institute our diocese offers and I’m going through this program. I can’t even bring myself to write in the exercise book, LOL–I have this huge binder I write in…must be some kind of personality oddity.

Penitent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back