Scribbling in bibles

• Thread starter Thread starter kellie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Penitent:
I haven’t had any of my Bibles blessed…I think it’s more that I just have something weird about writing in books, because as I think of it, I never wrote notes in any book, not even college textbooks or other research books…there’s this 4-year Biblical Institute our diocese offers and I’m going through this program. I can’t even bring myself to write in the exercise book, LOL–I have this huge binder I write in…must be some kind of personality oddity.

Penitent
Well don’t worry about, you don’t have to write in or mark your Bible if your not confortable with it.

Trick

To the original poster,

In my opinion, I see the Bible as Sacred Scripture, the written Word of God therefore I find it appropriate to use highlighters to highlight verses of interest and rest of notes in journals.

That’s just my opinion and I’m comfortable with it. :cool:

I haven’t had any of my Bibles blessed…I
Penitent
bibles are not blessed because they are already sacred in and of themselves, containing the Word of God, and thereby already possessing the virtue imparted to an object by means of a blessing.

it is not inherently wrong to write in a bible, but I prefer to make my notes in a journal, which becomes a better record of my journey, and gives more room, and is more readable when I go back to it. the problem with highlighting and writing in the bible is that it does weaken the paper if you use an instrument not intended for the purpose. it also tends to preserve some passages at the expense of others, and becomes a distraction, and may prevent me from reading the same passage in a new light if I become tied to the notes I made in the past.

I use the thin plastic type posties that are about 1/4" wide to mark passages I need to find again, which can be removed (with care) and reused without making a permantent mark.

I do have bible marking pencils in varied colors which I use when searching through a book for specific ideas
for instance, in my old bible I have highlighted in the gospels
references to women-yellow
ref. to the Holy Spirit-red
ref. to sacraments of the Church-blue (for baptism)
and so forth, according to the bible study I was doing at the time.

bibles are not blessed because they are already sacred in and of themselves, containing the Word of God, and thereby already possessing the virtue imparted to an object by means of a blessing.
The way some people critise some translations of the Scriptures in this sub-forum, I dont think everyone would agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back