Seamless Garment vs. the Cafeteria

• Thread starter Thread starter katherine2
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katherine2

(January 19) Senator Rick Santorum, a favorite of Catholic conservatives but who disagrees with the Catholic Church leadership on many social welfare, labor rights, world peace and criminal justice issues may face an opponent known for being part of a family that supports the “whole Catholic agenda.” However, neither Casey nor Santorum have been supportive of the Catholic bishops’ call for stricter gun control laws.

Pennsylvania State Treasurer Bob Casy, Jr, son of the late Governor, is looking at running against Santorum in the 2006 senate race. Democratic Party officials have been meeting with Casey and encouraging him to run.

Santorum created some difficulty for his conservative supporters who say Catholics must vote only on the abortion issue when he supported pro-abortion Senator Arlen Specter against his pro-life primary opponent Rick Toomey. This is not expected to have a major impact on the race, however, as few expect this principle to be actually applied to Santorum.

Santorum is a great man and a great family man. He gave a series of passionate, intellectual and charitable speeches opposing homosexual “marriage” on the senate floor when the majority of his senate colleagues were sucking their thumbs.

40.png
katherine2:
Santorum created some difficulty for his conservative supporters who say Catholics must vote only on the abortion issue when he supported pro-abortion Senator Arlen Specter against his pro-life primary opponent Rick Toomey. This is not expected to have a major impact on the race, however, as few expect this principle to be actually applied to Santorum.
As I recall from the buzz at the time, this was considered a non-issue because voting for Specter, even though he is pro-abortion, would give the Republicans a better chance of winning, and maintaining their majority, and thus there would be a better chance of passing pro-life legislation and confirming pro-life judges (despite Specter himself being on the Senate Judiciary Committee). Now I don’t recall reading a provision for such big-picture strategic considerations in Catholic Answer’s Voter Guide for Serious Catholics. And it’s interesting that the Seamless Garment is oft-criticized as an excuse for voting for pro-abortion candidates (usually Democrats) in the name of other issues. But I guess it’s no big deal when people make excuses to vote for pro-abortion Republicans.

Was the democrat candidate pro-life? If yes (and if I were in PA), I would have voted for him over Specter. I doubt this was the case, so the republican would be a good choice because it would move the cause forward. This is consistent with the voting guidelines I have read.

My guess (based on articles and radio at the time) is that most pro-life republicans voted for Toomey in the primaries, despite Santorum’s support for Specter. Most conservatives were upset over Santorum’s decision even though they understood the politics involved.

God Bless,

Robert.

katherine2 said:
(January 19) Senator Rick Santorum, a favorite of Catholic conservatives but who disagrees with the Catholic Church leadership on many social welfare, labor rights, world peace and criminal justice issues may face an opponent known for being part of a family that supports the “whole Catholic agenda.” However, neither Casey nor Santorum have been supportive of the Catholic bishops’ call for stricter gun control laws.

Pennsylvania State Treasurer Bob Casy, Jr, son of the late Governor, is looking at running against Santorum in the 2006 senate race. Democratic Party officials have been meeting with Casey and encouraging him to run.

Katherine, do you understand the difference between principle and prudence? That first paragraph about stricter gun control laws is totally irrelevant to being a good Catholic. Last I checked owning a gun is not sinful, but procuring, performing, or promoting abortion is. Last I checked opposing welfare laws is not sinful, but homosexual activity is. All of this “seamless garment” business is no more than a way to confuse principle with prudence and leads to such iodicy as Richard Durbin declaring John Kerry to be the best Catholic in the Senate according to the USCCB voters’ guide.

I think Santorum was wrong (and perhaps even sinful) to support Arlen Specter. Santorum has however probably been the most principled Senator in office today on life and family issues. He always votes consistent with Catholic principles.

40.png
katherine2:
I’ll be voting for Casey.
Wow. What a shocker. Other than not being a republican, what is it about him that you like/support?

Santorum was wrong to support Spectre. That does not mean seamless garment is not lefty propaganda.

40.png
rlg94086:
Wow. What a shocker. Other than not being a republican, what is it about him that you like/support?
pro-life and pro-economic justice.

katherine2 said:
(January 19) Senator Rick Santorum, a favorite of Catholic conservatives but who disagrees with the Catholic Church leadership on many . . .

Do you have a link for this article?

40.png
katherine2:
Then it will be hard to distinguish him from Santorum, who is also pro-life and pro-economic justice.

40.png
katherine2:
Excellent! It’s nice to have a choice between two pro-life candidates. While I am a republican myself, I hope Casey runs. It then sounds like a win-win either way. In CA, I usually have the opposite problem (i.e. lesser of two evils). You are very lucky katherine2.

God Bless,

Robert.

40.png
fix:
Santorum was wrong to support Spectre. That does not mean seamless garment is not lefty propaganda.
Neither would a Republican’s declaration that seamless garment is lefty progaganda make it such. That said, I think that the murder of the unborn outweighs any of the other issues on the hem of the garment, so how great Katherine has it, to choose between two-prolife candidates. When I lived in New Mexico, there was brave, lone, pro-life Democratic who ran for congress. Anyone care to guess if he made it out of the primary? I was honored to get to cast a vote for him, though.

40.png
JKirkLVNV:
Neither would a Republican’s declaration that seamless garment is lefty progaganda make it such. That said, I think that the murder of the unborn outweighs any of the other issues on the hem of the garment, so how great Katherine has it, to choose between two-prolife candidates. When I lived in New Mexico, there was brave, lone, pro-life Democratic who ran for congress. Anyone care to guess if he made it out of the primary? I was honored to get to cast a vote for him, though.
I am not a republican, but I believe you are left of center. Despite your protests.

40.png
katherine2:
He has been pro-life and he has criticized his party for being completely wrong on the moral values, namely the abortion issue. The question is would they actually let a legitimate pro-lifer run for senate? I’d love to see it but will wait until I do.

Incidently, I don’t see what any good Catholic could have against Santorum. All politics involves some give and take - it is the only way to move forward. But it doesn’t get much better for Catholics than Santorum.

40.png
fix:
I am not a republican, but I believe you are left of center. Despite your protests.
Left of center of what? I don’t think you know me well enough to make that assessment.

40.png
JKirkLVNV:
Left of center of what? I don’t think you know me well enough to make that assessment.
I guess I used the same logic as you did to determine I was a republican.

40.png
fix:
Well, let’s see. I oppose abortion, gay marriage (I support a constitutional ammendment to protect marriage), I support very limited gun control (registration and background checks, no one can own an automatic weapon, but you can have rifles for hunting and a handgun or a scatter gun to protect your home, heck, as many as you want!), reasonable taxation and prudent budgets, but social nets for the elderly, children, the ill, and the insane (not the able bodied who can work, but won’t), pro-private property, pro-business with reasonable regulations regarding labor and the envirionment, but not handing the keys to unions or tree-huggers, support the troops in the war, think we had to get shed of Saddam Hussein, wish we could close our borders to Moslems, cannot stand Barbara Boxer, like Condi, but wish Colin was still there, hmmmm…what else? I have on occasion wondered about socialized medicine. I do sit the fence on that one. Gosh, maybe you don’t know me as well as you think you do. That’s the trouble with labels, they don’t always fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back