Search for a Study Bible!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Epistemes
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Epistemes

Guest
The search continues for the one.

I own several translations of the Bible, including the majorly approved Catholic translations and editions, but I still haven’t found the one Bible which can considered my primary Bible to be used for prayer/devotions, studying, and teaching – something which I can turn to 60 years from now, in its worn, ragged binding, and feel reflect on “our” history together.

I accept the fact that different Bibles will offer different merits, that the fluidity of dynamic equivalence often brings a warmth when compared with formal equivalence translations, that certain scholars will highlight different points of interest in different study Bibles, etc. In short, you can’t have it all in one. Fine! But isn’t there something with a little of everything?

The current major contenders for my devoted usage include:

The New Jerusalem Bible. My only discrepancies with this lovely Bible is that with the verse numbers being printed in the margins rather than within the text itself it’s proven not to be the most efficient or timeliest of Bibles for study or teaching. Also, since the translation is more dynamic than formal, it’s often difficult using it with other commentaries which translate the discussed passage more literally. The footnotes are in *extremely *small print. And add to that my discomfort for its use of the divine name ‘Yahweh.’ Regardless, it is a beautiful translation, the footnotes are very helpful (when you can read them), and, well, it’s CATHOLIC.

The New Oxford Annotated Bible (4th Edition) [NRSV]. Since the NOAB is so frequently listed at the top of college syllabi for college Bible students, it makes since that this would be the perfect Bible for study and teaching. But what about devotion and prayers? Does a 2400 page Bible ever lend itself to be utilized for more than study and teaching? And, though I find the NRSV translation to be superb and very faithful to the original languages (minus its obtuse inclusive language designations), I can’t help but regard the NRSV as being a purely academic translation unsuited for devotion/prayer.

The New Interpreter’s Study Bible [NRSV]. Again, another ecumenical NRSV Bible like the NOAB. As far as it’s being a study Bible is concerned, reviews seems to suggest that it is more rooted in discussing theological questions with sound essays (excurses), even some which give fair treatment to the Eucharist in John’s Gospel. However, some reviews seem to suggest that it’s less Catholic-friendly than one would suppose. But what does that mean? Is it blatantly programmatic and anti-Catholic like the ESV Study Bible, or does it ecumenism simply attempt to smooth out (awkwardly, perhaps) issues of tense dogma? Simply put, I’m not going to invest in a Bible for the long run that I must disagree with and rationalize with/against.

The Catholic Study Bible [NAB]. I’d like to say this one isn’t a serious contender, but it is. I mean, it’s really the only formal Catholic Study Bible with historical-critical notes available at the moment. Plus, it’s translation is used at Mass. How much more prayerful/devotional of a translation is needed? Regardless, I’m just not a fan of the NAB. I’ve learned to tolerate it as a Catholic, but that’s about it. The only problem with the CSB is that I’ve owned a copy now for four years yet have consulted only very rarely. Does my history of usage suggest my future usage, as well?

Thoughts?
 
Or, the most poetic, and most beautiful (IMHO) Douay-Rheims!
Or, another very poetic, beautifully written bible, the RSV-CE(as the poster above hath mentioned)
 
I would like to share my search for “one Bible”. I have a passion for books so when I see a Bible that I do not have I tend to pick it up. Since I am frugal I tend to buy used books and Bibles and I do not stop at just having Catholic bibles on hand. You may find having these as reference books very valuable when you are doing a bible study. I use a NAB as my main Bible and have notes and highlights throughout. Having other Bibles to compare and to contrast has been very helpful. You may never find the perfect Bible for every need so having a number of translations is valuable. Add to your collection and read them all. God bless you on your journey.
 
Or, the most poetic, and most beautiful (IMHO) Douay-Rheims!
Or, another very poetic, beautifully written bible, the RSV-CE(as the poster above hath mentioned)
The Douay-Rheims, while a good and trusty Catholic Bible, is definitely far from what I’m interested in considering my mainstay Bible. Though it does faithfully render the Vulgate and the Council of Trent defined the Vulgate as the canon of all canons, even people with an amateur interest in studying the Bible, such as myself, immediately notice that such faithfulness often comes at the expense of accuracy - at least in terms of the original manuscripts and what the holy authors actually wrote or intended to write. In sum, there just simply exists discrepancies within the text itself which I find it difficult to accept knowing that better translations exist.

As for the RSV-CE - indeed, I have considered it, but the current Catholic Bible market doesn’t offer a lot of options when it comes to acquiring a study Bible using the actual Catholic edition of the RSV. True, Ignatius Press will be publishing the completed New Testament of their own Study Bible sometime soon, but I find the Ignatius Press Catholic Study Bible to be less concerned with historical-critical and textual concerns, as I am, rather than concentrating on the more devotional aspects of the text, sort of like the Navarre series. Plus, the New Testament is just the New Testament: I am looking for a whole Bible currently published, and at the rate Ignatius Press is going, it may very well be 2020 before we see the full study Bible. There are non-Catholic edition study Bibles which use the RSV, such one of the first editions of the NOAB, but I simply don’t know how comfortable I am buying a Bible originally published in the '70s when other editions have been published.
 
Having other Bibles to compare and to contrast has been very helpful. You may never find the perfect Bible for every need so having a number of translations is valuable. Add to your collection and read them all. God bless you on your journey.
Indeed, I also have a vast array of translations and commentaries, nor will finding “the one” limit me in my acquisition of new commentaries and translations and other study Bibles, but I can only hope that I might find one particular Bible which will serve all my needs even if it isn’t perfect.

I see something like the NLT Study Bible and ESV Study Bible as being the benchmarks of good, solid presentation when it comes to Bibles. Something like this could very well last throughout my lifetime and be handed on to my children and their children. It’s just unfortunate that both texts are published by evangelical Protestants, that one (the ESV) is programmatic and blatantly anti-Catholic, and neither one comes with the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonicals.

So, of all the Bibles available on the market, I really am going to have to narrow down my selection from the four which I listed in my initial post. At least until Catholic publishing companies get their act together and start publishing quality materials like the Protestants.
 
I’m not sure that any of your four finalists will satisfy all of your criteria. I have all four of the editions you are considering and have read large segments of all of them.

It seems you already have a fair amount of familiarity with New Jerusalem Bible, so I won’t discuss that further. (In fact, it seems that you are leaning in that direction.) I find its notes to be fairly scant in information compared to the other three editions you are considering.

The New Oxford Annotated Bible 4th edition is a fine secular Bible, but it is not at all directed toward devotional use. I suggest that you handle this edition of this Bible before you order it – I find the bleed through, the font and long lines used for the notes, and the lack of right-justified Biblical text make this edition difficult to read. (Previous editions were easier to read, so it is more useful to you check this particular edition.)

The New Interpreters Study Bible is a mixed bag – the commentary varies tremendously from book to book since the editors made almost no effort to harmonize the different commentaries. Most of the commentaries tend to have a more liberal orientation and often address contemporary issues – this may or may not be to your taste.

The Oxford Catholic Study Bible was published in two editions – are you thinking of getting the first or second edition? (The first edition had better layout.) My problem with this study Bible is that the commentary (which the editors call the “Reading Guide”) is published separately from the text and NAB notes. Now, there are page references to the Reading Guide in the margin, but if you want to read the Bible with the Reading Guide, you’ll need two copies of this book (or you will need to do a lot of paging back and forth.) It would be just as easy to use a conventional NAB and single-volume commentary (contemporary single-volume Catholic Bible commentaries include the New Jerome Biblical Commentary, the Collegeville Bible Commentary, and the International Bible Commentary; secular single-volume commentaries with Catholic contribution include the Oxford Bible Commentary, Eerdman’s Bible Commentary, and the HarperCollins Bible Commentary.)

As personal advice, it seems you are comfortable with New Jerusalem Bible which by itself is sufficient reason to use it for now; if you later develop dissatisfaction with its shortcomings, you can always buy a new study Bible. (By that time, the revised NAB OT will be published, so the Catholic Study Bible will probably be in a third edition, and you may have even more choices to choose among.)
 
If you’re looking for a good study Bible with commentary, there are three that I would recommend: The Ignatius Study Bible, the Navarre Bible, and the Douay-Rheims with Haydock Commentary.

So, which study Bible to get? Well, it depends on what you want. Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch are working on the Ignatius Study Bible. I have several volumes, and I think they’re great. The notes are very clear, there are ample maps, and there are occasional mini-essays dedicated to important passages for Catholics, or particularly important Greek words that are difficult to translate. The introductory essays are also very good. The main problem with this version is that it is a work-in-progress. It is being released book-by-book; the New Testament has JUST been completed, and the Old Testament is now well underway, although no books have actually been released yet. A single version of the complete New Testament is going to be released around May, so you might want to wait for that. Once totally complete, many people think that this will become the new standard in Catholic study Bibles. This is the version to get if you’re looking for a good, orthodox, in-depth study of the background and interpretation of the Bible.

Here’s a link to the 13-volume paperback New Testament set:
catholiccompany.com/catholic-books/1001916/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Complete-Set/

(and one Amazon.com link to the volume on the Gospel of Luke so you can see inside: )
amazon.com/Gospel-Luke-Ignatius-Study-Catholic/dp/0898708192/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246342183&sr=8-3

And here is a link where you can pre-order the brand-new single volume New Testament on Amazon.com. It’s going to be right around $15, and it will be available on June 1, 2010. There will also be a hardcover and leather-bound edition:
amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249897269&sr=1-10

continued…
 
As far as the Navarre Bible, it is also outstanding. It has several distinctive features. First, it’s complete. Second, it’s available in four versions: a 10-volume hardbound set, a 12-volume paperback New Testament, an abridged single-volume New Testament, and a brand new expanded single-volume hardcover New Testament. The longer versions contain the text of the Bible, the commentary, and the entire Nova Vulgata, along with long introductory essays. The abridged volume drops the Nova Vulgata and shortens the introductory essays. The hardbound version is almost of heirloom quality; it is very well made. The Navarre is printed by Scepter Press, the publishing arm of Opus Dei, so you KNOW it’s going to be orthodox. The Navarre tends to be more of a devotional Bible than a rigorous scholarly study Bible. The great thing is that both Bibles present something completely different. You could read both and learn totally different things. I included links to where you can order them direct from Scepter Publishers, and also Amazon.com. I included Amazon.com links when the page included the option to search inside the book so you can get an idea of the layout.

Here is where you can get the various versions:

The brand-new one-volume expanded New Testament:
scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=526

The one-volume abridged New Testament:
amazon.com/Navarre-Bible-New-Testament-Compact/dp/1889334596/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246340393&sr=8-5

The original ten-volume hardcover series:
New Testament:
scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=618
Old Testament:
scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=514
(and one Amazon.com link of the first volume so you can see inside: )
amazon.com/Navarre-Bible-Pentateuch-Old-Testament/dp/1889334219/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246340393&sr=8-2

The twelve-volume paperback New Testament set:
scepterpublishers.org/product/index.php?FULL=125
(and one Amazon.com link of the first volume so you can see inside: )
amazon.com/Navarre-Bible-Acts-Apostles/dp/1851829040/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246340775&sr=8-23

continued…
 
I might also recommend the Douay-Rheims Bible with Haydock Commentary. This was a Bible commentary written by a Father Haydock in the mid-nineteenth century. It’s very orthodox also, and is known for utilizing a tremendous number of quotes from the Early Church Fathers themselves. If you want to know what the great theologians had to say about various passages, all in one place, than this is also a great resource. Not all Douay-Rheims Bibles have the Haydock Commentary, so search carefully. There is only one readily available version with the commentary, and it runs around $125. I should also point out that it’s available online for free viewing here:

haydock1859.tripod.com/index.html

Here’s a link to the leather-bound hardcover Haydock Douay-Rheims Bible:
loretopubs.org/index.php?target=products&product_id=60

(And here’s a link to a sample interior page: )
catholictreasures.com/pictures/Sample%20Douay.pdf

As a couple of added thoughts:

From EWTN:
The most widely used Catholic commentary is probably the Jerome Biblical Commentary, now in a 2nd edition. There is also a summary version of it. This commentary is the work of well-known Catholic Biblical scholars and is filled with articles on historical, archaeological, linguistic and other subjects useful for understanding the background of the Scriptures. The JBC is, therefore, a valuable resource for those seeking such information. However, the textual commentaries use primarily the historical-critical method, and thus must be read with discernment. The Church approves of the use of this method for the purpose of understanding the historical and literary foundations of the text (see Vatican II, Dei Verbum 11-13), but finds it an incomplete method apart from the Tradition. Scripture must be interpreted according to the analogy of faith, that is, in accordance with what God has revealed in toto, as taught by the Magisterium.

Here is the New Jerome Biblical Commentary at Amazon.com:
amazon.com/Jerome-Biblical-Commentary-Raymond-Brown/dp/0225668033/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246340021&sr=8-1

There is also the brand new “Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture” that is in the works, although only four books have currently been released. What’s out, however, is really good, and written for more of an average audience. Here are links to the what’s available:

The Gospel of Mark
amazon.com/Gospel-Catholic-Commentary-Sacred-Scripture/dp/0801035864/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252704824&sr=8-1

First and Second Timothy, Titus
(This one lets you look inside at some of the pages)
amazon.com/Second-Timothy-Catholic-Commentary-Scripture/dp/0801035813/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252704824&sr=8-3

Ephesians
amazon.com/Ephesians-Catholic-Commentary-Sacred-Scripture/dp/0801035848/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252704824&sr=8-2

Second Corinthians
amazon.com/Second-Corinthians-Catholic-Commentary-Scripture/dp/080103583X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252704824&sr=8-4
 
I realize that you’ve addressed most of these editions up above, but I did want to at least familiarize other people with these good study Bible choices.
 
I realize that you’ve addressed most of these editions up above, but I did want to at least familiarize other people with these good study Bible choices.
Thanks - but let’s be honest: the only reason we Catholics continually laud the same study Bibles (being the ones you also laud) is because there is such a dearth of actual quality study Bibles for us to choose from which bear the imprint of “Catholic.” All of these Bibles have their merits, but I personally find they pale in comparison with what non-Catholic publishing companies are producing, such as the whole line of Oxford and Harper-Collins Bibles or even the top-notch NLT Study Bible. We Catholics are so hungry for a good Bible that we’ll just about consume anything raw that has a “Catholic Edition.”

But I digress.
 
I have an NRSV:CE and a NJB. I use the New Jerusalem the most, because it has more notes and more in depth introductions, and from what I can gather, like the NRSV is fairly literal, that is true to the oringinal texts. However for serious study I don’t think you will find a Bible that will satisfy everything. I have found that going down the road of introductions and study guides on Old and New Testaments, and Bible commentaries, along with reading your Bible to be the most fruitful endeavour.

I only recently dicovered the hostility to the NAB held by some people, but as I’m not familir with it I can’t comment.
 
I’m not sure that any of your four finalists will satisfy all of your criteria. I have all four of the editions you are considering and have read large segments of all of them.
Is it possible that you might recommend other finalists which might meet all my criteria? or are saying that no single Bible will ever meet all my criteria?

I must say that I find it hard to believe that no single Bible will ever meet all my criteria, which aren’t necessarily hard criteria! Is the study of the Bible so segregated from its devotional and prayerful use that no single Bible can satisfy both requirements?
It seems you already have a fair amount of familiarity with New Jerusalem Bible, so I won’t discuss that further. (In fact, it seems that you are leaning in that direction.) I find its notes to be fairly scant in information compared to the other three editions you are considering.
As much as I may seem to be leaning towards the NJB, I’m leaning away from it as well, especially in regards to using it as my primary Bible. I can definitely see myself using it as my official secondary source, but not as the primary. I find that the lack of inter-textual verse numbering really is a killer for me as it takes far too long to locate Luke 20:24 or some other verse in the middle of a paragraph.
The New Oxford Annotated Bible 4th edition is a fine secular Bible, but it is not at all directed toward devotional use. I suggest that you handle this edition of this Bible before you order it – I find the bleed through, the font and long lines used for the notes, and the lack of right-justified Biblical text make this edition difficult to read. (Previous editions were easier to read, so it is more useful to you check this particular edition.)
If what you say is true, then what a shame! This really seemed to be the Bible which could easily have earned my affections, especially since I imagined its quality surpassing that of the ESV and NLT Study Bibles. Having taken a look at some sample pages on christianbook.com, I can see what you mean by the difficulty in reading the long lines for the notes and the lack of right-justified Biblical text (though, this latter one might could be adapted to with repeated usage).
The New Interpreters Study Bible is a mixed bag – the commentary varies tremendously from book to book since the editors made almost no effort to harmonize the different commentaries. Most of the commentaries tend to have a more liberal orientation and often address contemporary issues – this may or may not be to your taste.
I simply don’t know how I feel about my commentary and/or annotations giving me a moral and/or theological lecture. I’ve heard really great things about this Bible, but something doesn’t sit well with me about it. It seems more like a pastor’s Bible rather than for a simple layman, such as myself, who studies the Bible as a hobby, teaches it in Church and to friends, and prays it on the side.
The Oxford Catholic Study Bible was published in two editions – are you thinking of getting the first or second edition? (The first edition had better layout.) My problem with this study Bible is that the commentary (which the editors call the “Reading Guide”) is published separately from the text and NAB notes. Now, there are page references to the Reading Guide in the margin, but if you want to read the Bible with the Reading Guide, you’ll need two copies of this book (or you will need to do a lot of paging back and forth.) It would be just as easy to use a conventional NAB and single-volume commentary (contemporary single-volume Catholic Bible commentaries include the New Jerome Biblical Commentary, the Collegeville Bible Commentary, and the International Bible Commentary; secular single-volume commentaries with Catholic contribution include the Oxford Bible Commentary, Eerdman’s Bible Commentary, and the HarperCollins Bible Commentary.)
I already own the second edition, and since writing my initial post I’ve been toying around some more with this Bible and see that it really is a possible top contender now for my primary Bible. I have always found the Reading Guide in the front to be something of a nuissance, but perhaps an inserted bookmark can fix that (though that would still entail lots of flipping back and forth). As far as the Reading Guide and Notes are concerned, it’s pretty much spot on with what I want to see.
I think I’ll investigate the NOAB 4th ed. a little bit more since it’s the forerunner at this stage (but is only the forerunner since I’ve not had a chance to handle it like the Oxford CSB). If the NOAB proves as you say, I may have to defer to the CSB.
As personal advice, it seems you are comfortable with New Jerusalem Bible which by itself is sufficient reason to use it for now; if you later develop dissatisfaction with its shortcomings, you can always buy a new study Bible. (By that time, the revised NAB OT will be published, so the Catholic Study Bible will probably be in a third edition, and you may have even more choices to choose among.)
 
The search continues for the one.

I own several translations of the Bible, including the majorly approved Catholic translations and editions, but I still haven’t found the one Bible which can considered my primary Bible to be used for prayer/devotions, studying, and teaching – something which I can turn to 60 years from now, in its worn, ragged binding, and feel reflect on “our” history together.

I accept the fact that different Bibles will offer different merits, that the fluidity of dynamic equivalence often brings a warmth when compared with formal equivalence translations, that certain scholars will highlight different points of interest in different study Bibles, etc. In short, you can’t have it all in one. Fine! But isn’t there something with a little of everything?

The current major contenders for my devoted usage include:

The New Jerusalem Bible. My only discrepancies with this lovely Bible is that with the verse numbers being printed in the margins rather than within the text itself it’s proven not to be the most efficient or timeliest of Bibles for study or teaching. Also, since the translation is more dynamic than formal, it’s often difficult using it with other commentaries which translate the discussed passage more literally. The footnotes are in *extremely *small print. And add to that my discomfort for its use of the divine name ‘Yahweh.’ Regardless, it is a beautiful translation, the footnotes are very helpful (when you can read them), and, well, it’s CATHOLIC.

The New Oxford Annotated Bible (4th Edition) [NRSV]. Since the NOAB is so frequently listed at the top of college syllabi for college Bible students, it makes since that this would be the perfect Bible for study and teaching. But what about devotion and prayers? Does a 2400 page Bible ever lend itself to be utilized for more than study and teaching? And, though I find the NRSV translation to be superb and very faithful to the original languages (minus its obtuse inclusive language designations), I can’t help but regard the NRSV as being a purely academic translation unsuited for devotion/prayer.

The New Interpreter’s Study Bible [NRSV]. Again, another ecumenical NRSV Bible like the NOAB. As far as it’s being a study Bible is concerned, reviews seems to suggest that it is more rooted in discussing theological questions with sound essays (excurses), even some which give fair treatment to the Eucharist in John’s Gospel. However, some reviews seem to suggest that it’s less Catholic-friendly than one would suppose. But what does that mean? Is it blatantly programmatic and anti-Catholic like the ESV Study Bible, or does it ecumenism simply attempt to smooth out (awkwardly, perhaps) issues of tense dogma? Simply put, I’m not going to invest in a Bible for the long run that I must disagree with and rationalize with/against.

The Catholic Study Bible [NAB]. I’d like to say this one isn’t a serious contender, but it is. I mean, it’s really the only formal Catholic Study Bible with historical-critical notes available at the moment. Plus, it’s translation is used at Mass. How much more prayerful/devotional of a translation is needed? Regardless, I’m just not a fan of the NAB. I’ve learned to tolerate it as a Catholic, but that’s about it. The only problem with the CSB is that I’ve owned a copy now for four years yet have consulted only very rarely. Does my history of usage suggest my future usage, as well?

Thoughts?
It seems as if many people are in the same boat…I have been looking for years now and am now just frustrated to the point of quitting. Of the bibles you mentioned, I only have the NJB…I personally do not like the historical-critical notes, but prefer the JB much better. I have looked at the CSB a few times trying to convince myself to buy it but I just do not like the notes (or text for that matter) that are associated with the NAB as they are not “Catholic” in many places. I have not heard anything good or bad for that matter about the NRSV bibles you mentioned…I have been looking at the translation as a whole but am not sure if I would like it due to the inclusive language and some of the problems I have read about pertaining to the liberalness of the translation. But I have read it online a bit and admit that it flows nice…but can I trust it?? We are really not left with much…the JB/NJB are the best bet as far as an all inclusie bible goes…but these are not real accurate translations such as the RSV or DR, which of course offer very few options for what you are looking for. So I woud say that you should go with one of the N/JB series…I have been reading the Confraternity–not a ton of notes but a pretty decent translation overall. I would be interested in hearing your take on the NRSV though…
 
As much as I may seem to be leaning towards the NJB, I’m leaning away from it as well, especially in regards to using it as my primary Bible. I can definitely see myself using it as my official secondary source, but not as the primary. I find that the lack of inter-textual verse numbering really is a killer for me as it takes far too long to locate Luke 20:24 or some other verse in the middle of a paragraph.
It is funny, because I personally prefer the main text without superscript numbers. If I am using the text for reference, having the superscript numbers is helpful, but if you am reading it as a text or for lectio divina, then the superscript numbers really get in the way.
[Regarding the NOAB, 4th edtion] If what you say is true, then what a shame! This really seemed to be the Bible which could easily have earned my affections, especially since I imagined its quality surpassing that of the ESV and NLT Study Bibles.
Oh, it is true. But the bleed through on the page is the real killer for me. The 4th edition has considerably more text than the 3rd edition but it is a fifth of an inch thinner. You simply cannot make pages that thin without bleed through. Find a copy of the book at a nearby college bookstore and you’ll see what I mean.

The ESV Study Bible is the most beautifully laid-out study Bible I’ve seen (single column, cross-references, beautiful four-color maps) but I’m not very impressed by the notes and essays. It is certainly virulently anti-Catholic. The NLT Study Bible is Protestant, but doesn’t have as much of an anti-Catholic edge to it. However, I think it is pretty shallow.

Good luck on your quest. I hope you find the Bible of your dreams.

(Since you are a collector, let me recommend the Oxford Catholic Comparative New Testament, which is currently on sale (60% off) as a “bargain price book” at Amazon for $14. It has the Rheims (Challoner), RSV-CE, NSRV-CE, NAB, JB, NJB, Good News, and Christian Community Bible – all with imprimatur. It is laid out in a eight-fold pattern so you can see parallel translations on single page spreads. It is one of my favorites – although it is not a study Bible and it does not contain the Old Testament.)
 
Thanks - but let’s be honest: the only reason we Catholics continually laud the same study Bibles (being the ones you also laud) is because there is such a dearth of actual quality study Bibles for us to choose from which bear the imprint of “Catholic.” All of these Bibles have their merits, but I personally find they pale in comparison with what non-Catholic publishing companies are producing, such as the whole line of Oxford and Harper-Collins Bibles or even the top-notch NLT Study Bible. We Catholics are so hungry for a good Bible that we’ll just about consume anything raw that has a “Catholic Edition.”

But I digress.
Yes. Outstanding observation. I am thinking of purchasing the ESV version even though it might be somewhat anti-Catholic. At least it wont have heretical stuff in there like “Matthew didnt write the Gospel, neither did John…” “The book of Daniel was written in 168 BC because there is no way those prophecies are that accurate…” Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a biotch?

Its embarrassing that Catholic commentaries are so lacking and bibles are such low quality. Seriously. We have the truth, tradition, an actual mass not a glorified bible study, churches that look like…churches. We cant make a high quality Bible? Really?
 
It is funny, because I personally prefer the main text without superscript numbers. If I am using the text for reference, having the superscript numbers is helpful, but if you am reading it as a text or for lectio divina, then the superscript numbers really get in the way.

Oh, it is true. But the bleed through on the page is the real killer for me. The 4th edition has considerably more text than the 3rd edition but it is a fifth of an inch thinner. You simply cannot make pages that thin without bleed through. Find a copy of the book at a nearby college bookstore and you’ll see what I mean.

The ESV Study Bible is the most beautifully laid-out study Bible I’ve seen (single column, cross-references, beautiful four-color maps) but I’m not very impressed by the notes and essays. It is certainly virulently anti-Catholic. The NLT Study Bible is Protestant, but doesn’t have as much of an anti-Catholic edge to it. However, I think it is pretty shallow.

Good luck on your quest. I hope you find the Bible of your dreams.

(Since you are a collector, let me recommend the Oxford Catholic Comparative New Testament, which is currently on sale (60% off) as a “bargain price book” at Amazon for $14. It has the Rheims (Challoner), RSV-CE, NSRV-CE, NAB, JB, NJB, Good News, and Christian Community Bible – all with imprimatur. It is laid out in a eight-fold pattern so you can see parallel translations on single page spreads. It is one of my favorites – although it is not a study Bible and it does not contain the Old Testament.)
Sir, can you give me some examples where the ESV SB is anti-Catholic? I have one on hand as it is going to be a gift for someone I know who is not Catholic but I will have it for a while before he gets it so I can look some stuff up if you point it out for me.

Thanks,
Keith
 
Can you give me some examples where the ESV SB is anti-Catholic?
Well, it is not hard to find – the ESV Study Bible notes are all written by fairly hard-line Calvinists. You can certainly start by looking at pages 2613-2615 – certainly an inaccurate portrayal of the Catholic approach to Scripture.

For example:
Purgatory … is based on an apocryphal writing (2 Macc. 12:46, which is not canonical Scripture) and on misinterpreted biblical passages (Matt. 12:31; 1 Cor. 3:15). Furthermore, the doctrine is the logical outgrowth of the Roman Catholic misunderstanding of salvation.
So rather than just saying that Protestants and Catholics disagree, the ESV Study Bible says Catholics misinterpret the Bible and misunderstand salvation. Not a very ecumenical spirit in that passage.

Or, look at the notes to any of the verses Calvinists love to quote – for example, Romans 3:21-4:8 (an example of the extreme bias is in the note Romans 3:28.) If you want, I can find many, many examples of this sort – or you can find them on your own.

The ESV Study Bible itself points out that it should definitely not be confused with a Catholic Bible, including on page 2615 this clear statement:
Despite the many points of doctrine they hold in common, there remains a vast difference between Roman Catholics and Protestants. Their Bibles are different, their idea of interpretation is different, and their view of Scripture’s clarity, authority, sufficiency, and necessity is different…
I don’t have a problem with a fair, reasonable discussion of the differences between Calvinist and Catholic theology. But when someone starts saying that Catholics misinterpret and misunderstand the Bible – that’s not an acceptable learning source for Catholics.
 
Personally, I use and recommend the ESV Study Bible. It’s the best study bible I’ve found, regardless of persuasion. The translation is excellent – a nice balance of literalness with elegant and readable English – as are the extensive notes and maps… but as others have said, it is very definitely edited from a Calvinist perspective. That’s something I know enough about to be able to mentally compensate for. It is not specifically anti-Catholic, but it is specifically pro-Calvinist.

Would I still use it were I to convert to Catholicism? Probably, but in conjunction with Catholic sources, such as the DR and NJB.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top