Secession, anyone?

• Thread starter Thread starter Elaine_s_Cross
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
pnewton:
Texas might have the best claim, since we were an independant nation.
So was California…

…and Vermont.

And several of the original 13 only ratified the Constitution contigent on their right to leave the Union at a later time.

For those who want to leave for Canada: They don’t want you.

For the “going back to the constitution”: the only people who could vote were white, land-owning males. Does that sound better?

Elaine's Cross:
When our country’s Constitution was drawn up, the central government was supposed to be somewhat weak, with the bulk of the real power vested in the states and the people. The nation was more or less a loose union of sovereign states. I am afraid that that concept died at Appomattox.
I don’t know about that

Article I pretty much gives all the important powers to the Federal government

And the “full faith and credit” clause of Article IV by its very nature prohibits the states from doing anything too out of line from the others

States rights was pretty much a myth from the start
And as the number of states went up their individual importance went down

If you want a weak central government you would need less states.
Elaine's Cross:
The incursions on and shredding of our constitution have accelerated, first under Clinton and now under Bush. What can be done to rein in the federal government?
Vote
Elaine's Cross:
I have heard talk of at least 3 secession movements. One would have the left coast either secede and be an independent nation or secede and affiliate with Canada. Another would have the left coast and the Eastern Seaboard from Maryland northward secede and sign on Canada. A conservative-libertarian movement would have followers move to New Hampshire and once enough supporters control the legislature, the state would secede. The last is a Christian-Right type group that looks to South Carolina.
Yeah there is always some group that thinks that bugging out would solve its problems

After South Carolina’s last attempt you would think that they had learned their lesson

(I can say this becasue I live there)
Elaine's Cross:
This is largely made up of Southern Baptist-Assembly of God types.
Descendants of Dissenters and others who protested the Protestants and who left (or were thrown out of) their homeland because they could play nice over there either 😉

really not the kinda of folk you want to listen to 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back