Secular children names

  • Thread starter Thread starter PennyinCanada
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a nice tradition in its day, but sometimes you ended up getting beaten up on the playground for your parents’ choice!
Imagine being born on St. Expedite’s day. Or Exuperance’s. Or Aceptismas’. Or Gall’s. Or Mamas’. 😛
 
My name is “creative” and I wouldn’t want to eeever be a Mary, Joan, Beth or Ruth. How boring. My top names for chlidren include Daegan, Merlin, Silas, Ayden, Cale and Desiree.
 
I’m not a fan of trendy or misspelled names, although I’m not quite as vocal about it as I used to be. I had a friend who was asking me about what we were planning on naming our baby and I told her some names I would never use and then went on about how I can’t stand when people misspell names on purpose. She seemed a bit upset with me but didn’t say why. She later posted something on Facebook about her daughter’s kids, all of whom had one of those names I said I didn’t like, and all ridiculously misspelled (something like Breighdyn for Brayden, and Juntehr for Hunter). I swear one of the kid’s names had no vowels. She unfriended me not long after that, I can only assume over the name conversation. I now tend to just node and say, “that’s some name!”
 
Man, this can start offending people really fast. I don’t know I like some of the names mentioned. My one Brother in Law is named Mason and one of my husband’s coworkers. Also Madison is certainly not a new name. I have a cousin named Madison, not my favorite name, but certainly not a weird one. A lot of people think my name, Jolene, is new or novel, but it just was more popular to name your child Jolene in the twenties.

When you start criticizing people’s names it gets personal. I love my name and I know when I have heard people say they hate it, it does bother me. It is something that people connect with people and saying you don’t like it is almost like saying you don’t like that person.

I do think some of the celebrity children’s names are ridiculous. Like Apple, Banjo, and Audio Science. Those kids are going to be made fun of like crazy. Some parents don’t think about that.
 
I do think some of the celebrity children’s names are ridiculous. Like Apple, Banjo, and Audio Science. Those kids are going to be made fun of like crazy. Some parents don’t think about that.
So just to clarify Moon Unit and Dweezil are off the table?
 
I’m not a fan of trendy or misspelled names, although I’m not quite as vocal about it as I used to be. I had a friend who was asking me about what we were planning on naming our baby and I told her some names I would never use and then went on about how I can’t stand when people misspell names on purpose. She seemed a bit upset with me but didn’t say why. She later posted something on Facebook about her daughter’s kids, all of whom had one of those names I said I didn’t like, and all ridiculously misspelled (something like Breighdyn for Brayden, and Juntehr for Hunter). I swear one of the kid’s names had no vowels. She unfriended me not long after that, I can only assume over the name conversation. I now tend to just node and say, “that’s some name!”
I’m with you. I have disturbing visions of 90 year old Madysyns, Britnis and Destinees with saggy tattoos.

An acquaintance just named her daughter Aniston, after Jennifer, I guess. 🤷
 
I was thinking more of names that are good for dog’s names, like Rider and Hunter, that are being chosen now. Geez, if I get a male puppy, it would be tough to find a name for him that wasn’t someone living on my street! lol
 
How about Hatsune or Miku? o:
Technically, Hatsune is a last name, but well,I wouldn’t be surprised anymore.

Going back to what I said in my first post here, there have recently been parents who are naming their children things like Shogōki or Luffy or Pikachu or Tackle or worse, even a few stuff I won’t type here (the so-called ‘DQN name’ - and by DQN read dokyun - or namekirakira, which usually (ab)uses ateji ;)). This being Japan, this is a highly controversial issue. 🤷
 
Technically, Hatsune is a last name, but well,I wouldn’t be surprised anymore.

Going back to what I said in my first post here, there have recently been parents who are naming their children things like Shogōki or Luffy or Pikachu or Tackle or worse (the so-called ‘DQN name’ - and by DQN read dokyun - or kirakira name, which usually (ab)uses ateji ;)). This being Japan, this is a highly controversial issue. 🤷
How about Miku? o:

So basically, weird names are solely not a Western problem, yes?
 
How about Miku? o:
Miku is a first name.
So basically, weird names are solely not a Western problem, yes?
No, they aren’t. Only, just as I said, since this is Japan, people here are making a bigger deal out of ‘unconventional’ names when compared to Westerners. For one, many of these ‘DQN names’ use highly difficult kanji for their phonetic value (ateji) or employ unconventional readings that even native speakers have a hard time reading them. And since this is a nation where you have a legion of Taros and girls whose names contain the syllables mi or ko or na, people with such names are going to stand out (a big no-no in Japanese culture).
 
Miku is a first name.

No they aren’t. Only, just as I said, since this is Japan, people here are making a bigger deal out of ‘unconventional’ names when compared to Westerners.
Oh, good! :3
gets ideas that involve Mikufication 😃

I’m not that sure if the Koreans are also making a big deal with weird baby names.
Now, imagine what would happen if a Korean woman was named Yun Fang. Suppose Yun Fang went to a game convention.
 
Oh, good! :3
gets ideas that involve Mikufication 😃

I’m not that sure if the Koreans are also making a big deal with weird baby names.
Now, imagine what would happen if a Korean woman was named Yun Fang. Suppose Yun Fang went to a game convention.
Or for that matter, the Chinese. East Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese) names are in general, shall we say, very conventional in nature: in fact, Japanese names are the most diverse of the lot.

BTW, Yoon is an attested Korean surname, so there’s a good start, but Fang I think is more of a Chinese (Mandarin?) name. 😉
 
Or for that matter, the Chinese. East Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese) names are in general, shall we say, very conventional in nature: in fact, Japanese names are the most diverse of the lot.

BTW, Yoon is an attested Korean surname, so there’s a good start, but Fang I think is more of a Chinese (Mandarin?) name. 😉
Awesome! 🙂
Korean names are always either two syllables or three. It rarely goes up to four. o:

By Fang, I mean the English word fang.
I swear, ever since I had found out that Yun is a Korean surname, I’ve been getting plenty of ideas. And yes, Yun Fang is an odd reference of mine. If you Google it, you shall find out. 🙂
 
Man, this can start offending people really fast. I don’t know I like some of the names mentioned. My one Brother in Law is named Mason and one of my husband’s coworkers. Also Madison is certainly not a new name. I have a cousin named Madison, not my favorite name, but certainly not a weird one. A lot of people think my name, Jolene, is new or novel, but it just was more popular to name your child Jolene in the twenties.

When you start criticizing people’s names it gets personal. I love my name and I know when I have heard people say they hate it, it does bother me. It is something that people connect with people and saying you don’t like it is almost like saying you don’t like that person.

I do think some of the celebrity children’s names are ridiculous. Like Apple, Banjo, and Audio Science. Those kids are going to be made fun of like crazy. Some parents don’t think about that.
Agreed. Let’s just say my real first name is no way near as common as ‘Jane’, and based on some posts in this thread and others in the past, I doubt I would ever feel comfortable revealing it on this site.
 
Talking about giving human names to dogs, or vice-versa, two years ago my daughter and son-in-law were given a Jack Russell puppy which my SIL decided to name Zuma (they live in South Africa, and Jacob Zuma is the president). All well and good, although it did cause some confusion at family gatherings when food scraps were collected for and thrown to Zuma. But a year ago Zuma went missing after a walk on the farm, not wanting to distress the grandchildren my daughter and I said nothing during the afternoon, but when SIL took the children to his parents home for a visit around sunset, I took the chance to go towards the area the dog had last been seen and call him…can you imagine how silly one feels standing in the bush at sunset calling for the president of the country :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top