Secular children names

  • Thread starter Thread starter PennyinCanada
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, technically, now that you say it, Judas (Ioudas, the Greek form of Yehudah ‘Judah’) isn’t a bad name either.
I just…maybe I’m out in left wing, but to me, just about the only “anti catholic” names I could think of would be Lucifer. Which is a pity, cause that’s such a pretty name, TBH. to me, it’s like…ok. You won’t name your kid Cain because Cain was a murderer…don’t name your kids Jeffrey, then, or Warren, or Jack.
 
I just…maybe I’m out in left wing, but to me, just about the only “anti catholic” names I could think of would be Lucifer. Which is a pity, cause that’s such a pretty name, TBH. to me, it’s like…ok. You won’t name your kid Cain because Cain was a murderer…don’t name your kids Jeffrey, then, or Warren, or Jack.
Come, come, I never said anything about that. 😃 That being said, I am pretty sure that naming kids ‘Caiaphas’ or ‘Pilate’ or ‘Herod’ would be out of the question. 😉
 
Sometimes I wish I had a saints name (I know Benjamin is a biblical name, but my middle name is Deryle, which was my grandfathers name, and not a saint to my knowledge). I think a child should at least have the middle name of the saint if not a first name of one (or a biblical name, nothing like names like Levi or Zebulon or Obadiah, seriously)
Benjamin IS a saint name! catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=338

And, as someone else mentioned, Aidan is also a saint name.

I don’t like trendy names either. And my name (Briana) is a trendy name. All four of our kids have at least one saint in their name; we only pick Biblical or saint names. I like the idea of a particular saint interceding for them in heaven throughout their life.
 
…variants of Breanna are as common as grass here. have been for ages.
 
Benjamin IS a saint name! catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=338

And, as someone else mentioned, Aidan is also a saint name.

I don’t like trendy names either. And my name (Briana) is a trendy name. All four of our kids have at least one saint in their name; we only pick Biblical or saint names. I like the idea of a particular saint interceding for them in heaven throughout their life.
Briana is merely the feminine of Brian, which is a saint’s name. (Bl. Brian Lacey, for instance, was an English martyr, like St. Aiden.) We all know the problems that come with trendy names, though.

It is possible to let a child know that you chose a particular baptismal patron without giving the child that particular saint’s names. Saints, I am sure, are not standoffish about that!
 
Imagine being born on St. Expedite’s day. Or Exuperance’s. Or Aceptismas’. Or Gall’s. Or Mamas’. 😛
There are usually many more than one St. on every day of the year to choose from. God Bless, Memaw
 
I’m still unsure if I should name a future daughter of mine as Hatsune or Miku.
What do you think?
 
Or for that matter, the Chinese. East Asian (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese) names are in general, shall we say, very conventional in nature: in fact, Japanese names are the most diverse of the lot.

BTW, Yoon is an attested Korean surname, so there’s a good start, but Fang I think is more of a Chinese (Mandarin?) name. 😉
By Fang, I mean the English word, not the Chinese name. o:
Here’s Oerba Yun Fang. o:
finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Oerba_Yun_Fang
Remove the Oerba, and you’ll get something awesome. 😉
Sorry for not clarifying earlier.
 
Man, this can start offending people really fast. I don’t know I like some of the names mentioned. My one Brother in Law is named Mason and one of my husband’s coworkers. Also Madison is certainly not a new name. I have a cousin named Madison, not my favorite name, but certainly not a weird one. A lot of people think my name, Jolene, is new or novel, but it just was more popular to name your child Jolene in the twenties.

When you start criticizing people’s names it gets personal. I love my name and I know when I have heard people say they hate it, it does bother me. It is something that people connect with people and saying you don’t like it is almost like saying you don’t like that person.

I do think some of the celebrity children’s names are ridiculous. Like Apple, Banjo, and Audio Science. Those kids are going to be made fun of like crazy. Some parents don’t think about that.
With all the unusual names today, I doubt any name will be made fun of except maybe by us oldies.
I have 9 sons (7 living) and I named every one of them a Saints name, so they would have a Saint to emulate and also so I would have a Saint to pray for them to. We talked often as they grew up of their Saints. God Bless, Memaw
 
Talking about giving human names to dogs, or vice-versa, two years ago my daughter and son-in-law were given a Jack Russell puppy which my SIL decided to name Zuma (they live in South Africa, and Jacob Zuma is the president). All well and good, although it did cause some confusion at family gatherings when food scraps were collected for and thrown to Zuma. But a year ago Zuma went missing after a walk on the farm, not wanting to distress the grandchildren my daughter and I said nothing during the afternoon, but when SIL took the children to his parents home for a visit around sunset, I took the chance to go towards the area the dog had last been seen and call him…can you imagine how silly one feels standing in the bush at sunset calling for the president of the country :rolleyes:
Did he come arunnin, Memaw
 
I don’t think there is anything wrong with those names either. People need to remember that everyone has a different cultural background, family history, etc. Just because you have never heard a name or seen it spelt that way means it did not exist before. Literature nerds will find names that you may not know but were actually used before, e.g Demi Moore’s daughters all have literary names even though they sound weird they are old names. Also remember that before Saint Polycarp became a saint his parents just liked the name, maybe one day we’ll have a St Brayden or a St Britnee. Paris was a name from Greek mythology, he was the son of the king of Troy.
This is a true story: Two young brothers named Dale and Jason were looking up Saints and when they couldn’t find a St. Dale, Jason looked at him and said, “Hey, Dale, if you start right now to be really good, maybe someday you can be the first St. Dale.” There really is a St Jason. God Bless, Memaw
 
I attended a baptism recently and the priest praised the parents for giving the children good, sensible names (Claudia and Helena) and said that he once had a mother come to him wanting her daughter Pagan :eek: to be baptised - she said she was named after the perfume her boyfriend had given her!
**Claudia ** is the legendary Vestal Virgin in Roman mythology

Helen is the daughter of the king of gods Zeus in Greek mythology.
 
And when I picked a name at confirmation, I was told (wrongly it turns out) that I couldn’t use a male Saint as my patron and my name was literally changed on the day of my confirmation to the name of a city (where Christians were martyred).
My brother has a girls’ name for a confirmation name… Although I still think it would be funny if he had gone with a masculine version– Apollo (for Apollonia)
What I don’t understand is the trend of using fairly common last names as first names for girls. For example, Reagan (already mentioned in this thread), Madison, McKenzie, Kennedy, Addison, etc. I always wonder what will happen to these girls if they grow up and marry a man whose last name is the same as their first name. Then if the girl changes her last name to match her husband’s last name, she will end up with a name like Kennedy Kennedy, or Madison Madison, or McKenzie McKenzie. Yikes.
Two things this makes me think of: 1) Wilson Wilson from Home Improvement and 2) the joke about “What if Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner got married?”
 
Who knows why certain names strike some people and not others? 🤷

Babies cannot name themselves, so it’s always the parents who get to choose the names they like best. I would imagine that at some point in our lives, every single one of us said “I hate my name, I wish I was named _______ instead” (fill in the blank).

My daughters Ushi and Lane don’t like their names either. 😉

Jala
 
Yeah, give me those old fashioned, good Catholic names like Polycarp, and Theophilus!😃
One of my great aunts was named Aquilla (yes, I know it was a male name in the Bible).

She went by “Quillie.”
 
My most recent worst name showed up in Pre-K this year. A parent insists the teacher should teach her daughter to sign her name K8ee. (Katie)

My former wost name story was years ago. I had a middle school girl whose legal name was Ashole. (Ashley)
 
My most recent worst name showed up in Pre-K this year. A parent insists the teacher should teach her daughter to sign her name K8ee. (Katie)

My former wost name story was years ago. I had a middle school girl whose legal name was Ashole. (Ashley)
A few more I know of; Breezy, Kilan, Diva,
Lantia ,Lanoni, Caous. seems no end to it, ha. God Bless, Memaw
 
My most recent worst name showed up in Pre-K this year. A parent insists the teacher should teach her daughter to sign her name K8ee. (Katie)

My former wost name story was years ago. I had a middle school girl whose legal name was Ashole. (Ashley)
:bigyikes::bigyikes::bigyikes:
 
My most recent worst name showed up in Pre-K this year. A parent insists the teacher should teach her daughter to sign her name K8ee. (Katie)

My former wost name story was years ago. I had a middle school girl whose legal name was Ashole. (Ashley)
Oy, vey. Now we can appreciate why countries do have a list of “allowed names”.

I have also heard some child was named Cash Collateral. Another named their girls Gonorrhea (pronounced guh-NOR-ee-uh) and Syphilis (si-PHIL-is). They probably meant well, but that’s just child abuse. Well, and most of us have heard about Moon Unit Zappa and her younger brother, Dweezil.

This is the kind of thing that gives ammunition to those who think people who want to be parents ought to need a license (that is, one that is a lot harder to get than a marriage license).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top