J
jlw
Guest
Yesterday on the Hugh Hewitt Show, moment before the democrats killed the cloture vote on the UN ambassador nominee John Bolton.
George Allen knew trouble was coming.
The junior Senator from Virginia, the former Governor of that state, and a guy that would make a very good candidate for president of the United States, started off the Hugh Hewitt Show yesterday from the cloak room, just off of the Senate floor. At the time he joined us, the vote on cloture for John Bolton was to have taken place in mere moments. As it turned out, the minute he finished with us, the vote was called for, ending up in the Democrats filibustering, as Harry Reid couldn’t seem to round up even five Democrats to keep the promise he made on the Senate floor six hours earlier.
You could tell in Allen’s voice that he was exasperated at the upcoming vote. Here’s the transcript:
HH: Senator Allen, thanks for breaking away from the great debate over John Bolton. Will you get to a vote before you go on recess, Senator?
GA: We better. This is…we were supposed to be voting right now, as I’m on the sidelines in the Cloak Room, here. So I’m a sidelines reporter for you, and as is typical with the Senate, punctuality means about as much to the Senate as it does to a pig. And so, here we are waiting. And I’m not sure…we’re going to try to get a cloture vote, and we need sixty votes. John Bolton will be an outstanding advocate for American…our taxpayers to the United Nations, and so it’s going to be a pretty close vote on cloture, and hopefully we’ll get to it this evening.
HH: Senator, will you be speaking later in the evening?
GA: On John Bolton?
HH: Yes.
GA: No, I’ve already spoken today. We were supposed to vote at 6:00 on cloture, and here we are, of course…
HH: Has anyone made the point that Lebanon is heading into crucial elections, about which the U.N. may have a strong influence on their fairness, and we do not have an ambassador there?
GA: I haven’t…a good point, Hugh. Gosh, if I were going to speak, I could say that.
HH: Well, pass on a note to someone.
GA: I can’t pass on a note. No one is speaking now. They’re all huddling in the usual confusion, but the point is, the United Nations actually can be useful. It hasn’t lived up to what we would hope, and obviously with the fraud and abuse and the scandals, people in this country question whether the United Nations is worth the $2 billion dollars we spend every year. But it can be made more credible, more useful, and someone like John Bolton is the type of person who I think would be perfect. He is not going to get seduced by all these meaningless pontifications of bureaucratic functionaries, but he’s going to make sure these reforms and changes are made. And I want a watchdog up there, not somebody who’s just going to be happy to warm a seat.
HH: Well, do you think you have the votes for cloture?
GA: Not sure. We’re not sure.
HH: That’s amazing.
GA: That’s why things are so up in the air right now.
HH: Three hours ago, David Espo, AP, filed a story that Senator Reid said the Monday deal, about which we’re going to talk shortly, could bring bipartisanship…
GA: yea…
HH: …and three hours later they’re denying cloture on the Bolton vote. Is that bipartisanship?
GA: Yup, there you go. That’s pretty good influence there. I think we have every Republican. Even Voinovich is going to vote for cloture. He’ll vote against Bolton, but he’s going to vote for cloture. And so, therefore, we have to pick up five Democrats to get to sixty, although one of our members is apparently on a train, and I don’t know this, Hugh. This is heresay and rumor.
George Allen knew trouble was coming.
The junior Senator from Virginia, the former Governor of that state, and a guy that would make a very good candidate for president of the United States, started off the Hugh Hewitt Show yesterday from the cloak room, just off of the Senate floor. At the time he joined us, the vote on cloture for John Bolton was to have taken place in mere moments. As it turned out, the minute he finished with us, the vote was called for, ending up in the Democrats filibustering, as Harry Reid couldn’t seem to round up even five Democrats to keep the promise he made on the Senate floor six hours earlier.
You could tell in Allen’s voice that he was exasperated at the upcoming vote. Here’s the transcript:
HH: Senator Allen, thanks for breaking away from the great debate over John Bolton. Will you get to a vote before you go on recess, Senator?
GA: We better. This is…we were supposed to be voting right now, as I’m on the sidelines in the Cloak Room, here. So I’m a sidelines reporter for you, and as is typical with the Senate, punctuality means about as much to the Senate as it does to a pig. And so, here we are waiting. And I’m not sure…we’re going to try to get a cloture vote, and we need sixty votes. John Bolton will be an outstanding advocate for American…our taxpayers to the United Nations, and so it’s going to be a pretty close vote on cloture, and hopefully we’ll get to it this evening.
HH: Senator, will you be speaking later in the evening?
GA: On John Bolton?
HH: Yes.
GA: No, I’ve already spoken today. We were supposed to vote at 6:00 on cloture, and here we are, of course…
HH: Has anyone made the point that Lebanon is heading into crucial elections, about which the U.N. may have a strong influence on their fairness, and we do not have an ambassador there?
GA: I haven’t…a good point, Hugh. Gosh, if I were going to speak, I could say that.
HH: Well, pass on a note to someone.
GA: I can’t pass on a note. No one is speaking now. They’re all huddling in the usual confusion, but the point is, the United Nations actually can be useful. It hasn’t lived up to what we would hope, and obviously with the fraud and abuse and the scandals, people in this country question whether the United Nations is worth the $2 billion dollars we spend every year. But it can be made more credible, more useful, and someone like John Bolton is the type of person who I think would be perfect. He is not going to get seduced by all these meaningless pontifications of bureaucratic functionaries, but he’s going to make sure these reforms and changes are made. And I want a watchdog up there, not somebody who’s just going to be happy to warm a seat.
HH: Well, do you think you have the votes for cloture?
GA: Not sure. We’re not sure.
HH: That’s amazing.
GA: That’s why things are so up in the air right now.
HH: Three hours ago, David Espo, AP, filed a story that Senator Reid said the Monday deal, about which we’re going to talk shortly, could bring bipartisanship…
GA: yea…
HH: …and three hours later they’re denying cloture on the Bolton vote. Is that bipartisanship?
GA: Yup, there you go. That’s pretty good influence there. I think we have every Republican. Even Voinovich is going to vote for cloture. He’ll vote against Bolton, but he’s going to vote for cloture. And so, therefore, we have to pick up five Democrats to get to sixty, although one of our members is apparently on a train, and I don’t know this, Hugh. This is heresay and rumor.