S
Sword_Brethren
Guest
Do the Septaugint Bible and the Old testament in the Catholic Vulgate have the same books?
YesDo the Septaugint Bible and the Old testament in the Catholic Vulgate have the same books?
I own a copy of the Septuagint. It contains more books then the Latin Vulgate.
What books are different? Thanks!I own a copy of the Septuagint. It contains more books then the Latin Vulgate.
Thanks. I was aware that Orthodox consider those books part of Scripture, I wasn’t aware they were in the Septuagint (or at least some versions of the Septuagint).There is an un-numbered Psalm (151), the prayer of Manasseh, Maccabees 3 and 4, as well as Esdras I (which is a confusingly named text, since there are a variety of different texts that contain that name).
The prayer of Manasseh and (greek) Esdras I were both included in the Clementine Vulgate in the appendix.
Well, the Eastern Churches which use Greek do have the Septuagint for their Bible…Thanks. I was aware that Orthodox consider those books part of Scripture, I wasn’t aware they were in the Septuagint (or at least some versions of the Septuagint).
Do you mean Eastern Catholic Churches, or Eastern Orthodox Churches? Or other Eastern Churches?Well, the Eastern Churches which use Greek do have the Septuagint for their Bible…![]()
Eastern Churches that use Greek as a liturgical language, generally.Do you mean Eastern Catholic Churches, or Eastern Orthodox Churches? Or other Eastern Churches?
Do you mean Eastern Catholic Churches have a different Old Testament than Latin Catholic Churches?Eastern Churches that use Greek as a liturgical language, generally.