Septuagint Bible question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sword_Brethren
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sword_Brethren

Guest
Do the Septaugint Bible and the Old testament in the Catholic Vulgate have the same books?
 
The Septuagint has the same OT books as the Eastern Orthodox and Byzantine Catholic OT. So no, it has extra books that the Latin Vulgate lacks (though the Clementine Vulgate does put the Prayer of Manasseh in the appendix in the back).
 
From a 1909 version of the Catholic Dictionary:

"(Greek: seventy)

The name given to the Greek translation of the Old Testament made from the Hebrew by different authors, between 300 and 130 B.C., at Alexandria for the Jewish colonists of Egypt. It takes its name from a false legend which says that at the request of Ptolemy II (284-247), 72 scholars were sent from Jerusalem to Egypt to translate the Pentatetuch into Greek. The translation is at times liberal and at times free, but, on the whole, faithful. The inferior version of Daniel was later displaced by the revision of that book by Theodotion. The Septuagint contains also the deuterocanonical books. It was used by the Apostles and the early Christians and is still the official text of the Greek Church, both Uniat and Orthodox. This version was revised by Theodotion, a Jewish proselyte, Origen, and others. The Old Latin, Coptic, Ethiopic, and other versions are based on the Septuagint."

"Hebrew Bible

Except Wisdom and 2 Machabees, which were composed in Greek, all of the Old Testament books were written originally in Hebrew, in the old Phenician characters (later exchanged for the “square” script), but without vowels, separation of words, or division into chapters and verses. These elements were introduced later. The present Hebrew Bible contains only the protocanonical books; the Deuterocanonical books, except a part of Ecclesiasticus, are no longer extant in Hebrew."
 
There is an un-numbered Psalm (151), the prayer of Manasseh, Maccabees 3 and 4, as well as Esdras I (which is a confusingly named text, since there are a variety of different texts that contain that name).

The prayer of Manasseh and (greek) Esdras I were both included in the Clementine Vulgate in the appendix.
 
There is an un-numbered Psalm (151), the prayer of Manasseh, Maccabees 3 and 4, as well as Esdras I (which is a confusingly named text, since there are a variety of different texts that contain that name).

The prayer of Manasseh and (greek) Esdras I were both included in the Clementine Vulgate in the appendix.
Thanks. I was aware that Orthodox consider those books part of Scripture, I wasn’t aware they were in the Septuagint (or at least some versions of the Septuagint).
 
Thanks. I was aware that Orthodox consider those books part of Scripture, I wasn’t aware they were in the Septuagint (or at least some versions of the Septuagint).
Well, the Eastern Churches which use Greek do have the Septuagint for their Bible…🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top