Service dogs in church?

  • Thread starter Thread starter angell1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angell1

Guest
I have experienced people thinking that service dogs at mass is offensive and disrespectful to god because no animal should be in church. I am visually impaired and use a guide dog and have received comments that it’s also distracting to them and their worship. (don’t really see how since the dog is just lying under a pew). people claim that I should ask for human assistance when going to church instead of relying on an animal, which is not always possible and I really don’t want have to hold peoples’ hands in my late 20s, when I use my cane, I am way more likely to trip people, run in to people, get lost in the maze of pews, not to mention getting to and from church, the dogs just make life a lot easier, mobility wise, which is the whole point, it’s not like I am just bringing my pet for fun. it’s a comparison to a person’s wheelchair or walker, if you will. but somehow I am still getting accused of being entitled. obviously, I would always do my best to accommodate, if others have severe phobias or allergies. I’ve even gotten suggestions to leave the dog outside certain places. which is an absolute non-negotiable no, not after two years of intense training and $30000 of cost, in a public place unattended, where anyone could just walk off with it.

but is there anything in the bible, or the catechism or church teaching that could specifically show that this doesn’t disrespect god? the only thing I can think of is the old testament worship where they actually sacrificed animals, in the temple, no less, so it doen’st seem like the presence of animals inside a space of worship is somehow a desecration like they claim.

are these people just overreacting? maybe I should just try and ignore it. I feel like the church wold have a specific statement if there was really an issue with it. I am just very tired of all the ignorance in society, church is certainly not the only place there issues arise
 
Service dogs are for service. Don’t let ignorant people get to you. If you use a service dog for everything else, continue to use one at church. Real service dogs are so well trained they bother no one. The people that are saying things to you are just ignorant, jealous or looking to start trouble.
 
I also think that stores allowing non-service dogs in is ruining it for actual service dogs like yours.
 
I don’t think you’ll find anything in the Catechism that addresses this question, or in any other Church teaching. As I see it, it isn’t a question of religion. It’s just a question of civility and courtesy. People with service dogs take them with them wherever they go. That’s what they’re for. Nobody has any right to object.
 
Last edited:
it’s fine if an establishment chooses to be pet-friendly, I have no issue with that. we encounter dogs outside all the time, the guide dogs are trained against dog distraction

however, what does cause issues for us is when people pretend that their dogs are service dogs when they are not, you therefore have the general public thinking that their (usually) not well-behaved and barely trained pet is indicative of what real service dogs are like.
 
I have experienced people thinking that service dogs at mass is offensive and disrespectful to god because no animal should be in church
You, as has been established in prior posts, have experienced a high concentration of nutty people.
am visually impaired and use a guide dog and have received comments that it’s also distracting to them and their worship. (don’t really see how since the dog is just lying under a pew).
Too bad. Angel, you need to toughen up. People say all sorts of nonsense. Doesn’t mean you owe them an attention or a response.

JUST IGNORE.
people claim that I should ask for human assistance when going to church
Ignore these “people”.
but is there anything in the bible, or the catechism or church teaching that could specifically show that this doesn’t disrespect god?
Angel, stop. These people are idiots and you do NOT have to justify anything to them. They are getting a rise out of you. So just stop. Do not go searching for “proof” of anything.

You’ve spent more time typing this out than than it’s worth.
are these people just overreacting?
These people are nutcases.
 
actually all religious establishments are technically exempt from the public access law, that’s why I was asking if it there was anything that could make it a Christian issue, I didn’t think so either, but other religions do have such things, islam for example.
 
it’s just tough when people actually accuse you of disrespectingGod, wasn’t sure how to defend myself against that one. according to them animals are just bad for the mass
 
i thought so too, btu sometimes I second-guess myself, especialy when claims of offending God are involved
 
This is a topic that has been discussed in Judaism. The great Lubavitcher Rebbe Menachem Schneerson has written about it and believes that not only should it be allowed to bring a service dog to synagogue but it is unjust not to be permitted. He cites biblical reference to support his case. And his written letters on this topic were in 1959, long before the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 was passed.
 
Last edited:
Any Catholic has the right to be at Mass, unless their behavior is by itself actively dangerous or disruptive to others and cannot be accommodated. The mere presence of a dog is not that.

I wish I could show you our parish. We’re one of the places they use to train dogs, as well. It’s a good place to teach dogs to stay quiet and focused on their handler.

OP, I would suggest smiling at whoever says that and saying “I’m sure God prefers me to be at Mass!” And then walk away. Some people seem to be under the impression that they can speak for God.
 
Angel, whenever anyone but your pastor Makes uninvited comments to you about things that are offending God, that is your cue to just ignore them. Because they do not speak for God.
 
They can take it up with the Monsignor at my parish, whose golden-retriever puppy doesn’t actually attend Mass … but who’s been known to frolic happily around in the church beforehand.
 
In our part of the country service dogs are pretty rare. However, there is a lady in our parish who occasionally comes to Mass with her “emotional support dog,” and I don’t think anyone has ever said anything to her about it.

On a related topic, there is a famous routine by Southern Gospel comedian and singer Wendy (yes, he’s a guy) Bagwell, on the subject of service dogs in church. Don’t worry; it’s completely fictional. Audio only.

 
Well God blesses you with that dog as a help and companion. Some rude people who should be grateful they don’t need assistance like you do. Next time they suggest human assistance say ‘oh thank you so much! When would you be available ?’
 
Last edited:
lol, yeah, I have thought of that actually, of course, they usually don’t mean that they want to volunteer. nor do I actually really want them to, for that matter.

those of us with disabilities like to have our independence and autonomy, just the same as everyone else, so comments like that are quite mind-boggling
 
my pastor has not, but perhaps there are priests who do think that way too, somewhere
 
Oh absolutely but would hopefully make them think about their comments and make them feel just the ‘right’ amount of awkwardness !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top