Service dogs in church?

  • Thread starter Thread starter angell1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes. the blind community has been circulating that one also.

I don’t think it was a cahtolic church though
 
my pastor has not,
Angel, you’ve missed my point.

If your pastor were to counsel you about offending God then you should give his opinion weight in your discernment. and ask more questions.

Other people: no. The people around you have proven themselves to be utterly outer limits. Pay no attention to them.

Why do you keep believing these people have anything worthwhile to say?
but perhaps there are priests who do think that way too, somewhere
Maybe the moon is made of green cheese.

Really angel, no priest is going to tell you a guide dog offends God.
 
No, it wasn’t a Catholic church. Interestingly the church involved in that story said they changed their policy after public outcry.
 
based on what I read on the issue, I don’t think the problem was a religious one. I think they were afraid of not being able to tell real service dogs from fake ones or that everone would start bringing their dogs to church, something along those lines
 
I agree it was not a religious issue, but it was one of compassion and courtesy.

I saw an interview with the young man at the heart of the story, and (IMO) it was clear that he had a vision issue. Also the gear the dog was wearing was clear (again IMO) to even a novice like myself that it was for guiding purposes. It wasn’t just a leash.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, and if you used a cane and they tripped over that, they’d complain about THAT too. You are never going to make everybody happy, so do what YOU need to do, forget about them and their ignorance. A Service Dog is for service, and that is just what your dog is providing you. Next time they give you grief, tell them to take it up with the Pope…

Here is a story about a dog in church during Masses, and of how folks WITH hearts handled it:

 
Last edited:
Dogs are noble animals, very and loving. I don’t think God minds if a blind person brings his seeing eye dog.

I remember seeing a business person downtown, walking along dressed for work. She was holding onto her seeing eye dog.
 
How sad for you. I dont have an answer to your question but it’s a pity you dont live near my parish cos people do just bring their dogs to mass for fun (I presume). And no one says anything, one elderly lady would not go anywhere without her dogs they sit in her shopping trolley and wait for her, another big border collie just lies patiently under the pew while his owner goes up for communion, I honestly dont think people know he’s there. Personally I think if they are on a lead and under control that’s fine, as service dogs would be. I sometimes use a cane to help me stand up, especially in these modern churches or chapels with chairs instead of good solid pews and I’d hate it if someone took it away and I couldn’t balance. In fact the idea is preposterous - just like it should be to take your dog away. These people are certainly over reacting. I am allergic to cats and if they are kept away from me then I can cope, so likely it would be the same for them and their allergies to dogs. As for phobias, it should be the same otherwise it’s likely they need to seek help because their life would be very limited as dogs are all over the place and can’t be limited as service dogs are allowed pretty much everywhere. If there is a person or persons with such a phobia in your parish perhaps the priest can arrange it so you two share information and go to different masses, but in all likelihood it’s just an excuse. I’d suggest discussing this with your priest to see if he is aware of any reason why this is happening. Or if you feel brave confront them and discuss the issue, though I do realise how difficult that could be and how intrusive for you. God bless you.
 
are these people just overreacting?
Yes. They are showing their ignorance.

My guess is it is a few people making comments to you? In all honesty, I suggest you speak to Father. Perhaps they could use this as a bulletin insert:

https://ncpd.org/resources_and_toolkits/interacting-people-vision-loss (The PDF is available in bilingual form)

The Church has national policies on disabilities, https://ncpd.org/

The Xavier Society is great http://www.xaviersocietyfortheblind.org/

While you did not ask to be the official educator for the people at your parish, the education you do today will help someone else down the road.
 
it’s just tough when people actually accuse you of disrespectingGod, wasn’t sure how to defend myself against that one. according to them animals are just bad for the mass
Please tell your priest what you are experiencing. Maybe he can gently “welcome” your dog to the parish community by talking about your dog and asking parishioners for their support.

(Of course in a way that does NOT make it seem like you were complaining)
 
Yeah, and if you used a cane and they tripped over that, they’d complain about THAT too. You are never going to make everybody happy, so do what YOU need to do, forget about them and their ignorance. A Service Dog is for service, and that is just what your dog is providing you. Next time they give you grief, tell them to take it up with the Pope…

Here is a story about a dog in church during Masses, and of how folks WITH hearts handled it:
Loyal dog attends mass every day at church where owner's funeral was held | Daily Mail Online
Wow… talk about a Catholic dog!

or should I say… a real Catholic, German Shepherd!!! 🤣
 
Last edited:
There’s only one group of people ruining the genuine service dog concept, and that is the people who lie about their (not really) “service” dogs. We happened to go to a restaurant for breakfast over the weekend, and the person in front of us said they had a service dog. The dog was actually a yappy little dog with no training whatsoever, and there were about four other similar yappy dogs all barking at each other, jumping on chairs and people and being generally disruptive. It was like a convention of fake service dogs, and the owners were even introducing their dogs to the other dogs.
 
There’s only one group of people ruining the genuine service dog concept, and that is the people who lie about their (not really) “service” dogs. We happened to go to a restaurant for breakfast over the weekend, and the person in front of us said they had a service dog. The dog was actually a yappy little dog with no training whatsoever, and there were about four other similar yappy dogs all barking at each other, jumping on chairs and people and being generally disruptive. It was like a convention of fake service dogs, and the owners were even introducing their dogs to the other dogs.
There are laws about this. Service dogs are supposed to be trained, and they are supposed to wear jackets identifying them as official service dogs. No jacket – not a service dog.

D
 
Other dogs can be okay, too. Once at a Sunday morning Mass I saw a dog walk in from the street. He sat down in one of the aisles, near the back, stayed there quietly all through Mass and then walked out again. When my wife mentioned it to the pastor, he told her it happens quite often. Always the same dog, and only ever during Mass. He never comes into the church at any other time of day.
 
Last edited:
There is a black cat that wanders into our church during Mass. I’ve tried picking him up and putting him outside, but he rolls on his back for a few seconds and then follows me back in. Perhaps a few service dogs in church would discourage him.

PS Although each church needs to do what it can to maintain the dignity of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, I can’t recall anything Jesus said that would exclude animals.
 
Last edited:
There are laws about this. Service dogs are supposed to be trained, and they are supposed to wear jackets identifying them as official service dogs. No jacket – not a service dog.
I know, but businesses and organizations are afraid of legal repercussions, so it seems to be “if you say it’s a service dog, we better not challenge you”.
 
There are laws about this. Service dogs are supposed to be trained, and they are supposed to wear jackets identifying them as official service dogs. No jacket – not a service dog.
At least in the US, a vest or jacket is not required for the animal to be protected under the law as a service dog. The only legal criteria are that the person is disabled and that the dog is trainee to do at least one specific task.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
See question 8.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top