Service dogs in church?

  • Thread starter Thread starter angell1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
People don’t show respect for many things/people they either disagree with, or who are “disabled.” It seems that either they don’t understand, or don’t want to. These days, you might say that “tolerance” isn’t what it used to be!
 
I wish, then shopping might not be such an anxiety-inducing ordeal. lol

at least sometimes I can do it online
 
Maybe It’s for partially sighted people who can’t read print?
 
Service dogs are there to help their owner. There should be nothing wrong with them being in church. Most service dogs I have seen are very well behaved.
 
I don’t know if any official statements made by the church regarding this. At my church I’ve seen a bunch of different ways of people who are blind attending Mass. From canes to holding onto someone in front of them and also service dogs. I know not all parishes are the same but what my church does is the first row of every seating section doesn’t stand up for communion, but the Eucharistic minister or priest goes up to them first then everyone behind follows. On the left most side in front of the Mary statue, there’s a second row that has more space in front designed for people with wheel chairs or people who have canes or service dogs. The dogs I’ve seen in the church and all service dogs I’ve seen before in any location are always respectful and quiet and literally just sit there. I think if it’s not out of line with the parish and how they do things having them come to you is a good fix. My church has 4 sections of seating so that’s what 6 or 7 Eucharistic ministers plus the priest and sometimes deacon too. This type of service isn’t calling any one specific person out either, anyone is welcome to sit in the front row. Most people opt to sit in the middle for whatever reason. I like the front best in my opinion. I don’t think my response adds much at all but I hope it all works out whatever is in store.
 
I really don’t want have to hold peoples’ hands in my late 20s
The last girl I met had the loveliest way of taking my arm. (the way she did it just soothed me…) If you’re ever going to mass with a friend after a nice walk you may just want to let your guide dog take that afternoon off.
 
The people that are saying things to you are just ignorant, jealous or looking to start trouble.
This. I’d mention it to your priest if it happens again. It might turn into a message during a homily to be more accepting…

So sad that this is happening to you.
 
The last girl I met had the loveliest way of taking my arm. (the way she did it just soothed me…) If you’re ever going to mass with a friend after a nice walk you may just want to let your guide dog take that afternoon off.
I’m guessing it’s more that, having trained a guide dog so they can get around independently, OP doesn’t want to have to rely on a random person at church just to attend Mass. My understanding is it’s a very different experience when you genuinely require some form of support to get around.
 
Last edited:
40.png
adgloriam:
The last girl I met had the loveliest way of taking my arm. (the way she did it just soothed me…) If you’re ever going to mass with a friend after a nice walk you may just want to let your guide dog take that afternoon off.
I’m guessing it’s more that, having trained a guide dog so they can get around independently, OP doesn’t want to have to rely on a random person at church just to attend Mass. My understanding is it’s a very different experience when you genuinely require some form of support to get around.
I understood all that @DarkLight . Just reminding the OP of such precious possibility, since I myself was recently reminded by someone benevolence’s, having almost forgot.

btw, it’s both brilliant and inspiring the OP is enjoying her independence.
 
Last edited:
If it is a real service dog, then anyone who complains, even if they have good intentions, is being very un-charitable and un-christian.

That’s really all it comes down to. How could anyone be mad that a person with a disability wants to come to church? We should pray and explain to such people so they can be more understanding.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top