"Sex is for married heterosexual couples only, says Church of England; "sex outside of heterosexual marriage ‘falls short of God’s purpose’.”

• Thread starter Thread starter IanM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Most of the 3rd world/African/SEA jurisdictions in the Anglican Communion tend toward orthodoxy on such questions.

And the TEC and the CoE are different entities, jurisdictionally.

I agree that is the case and you feel and notice it living here. However, they are completely wrong. That is, the people who demand the Church of England should permit whatever society at large deems acceptable. Being a Christian is about what God demands of us and not about what we demand of God or the Church.

I don’t think you need worry about a parallel to the world of Anglicanism developing.

The Anglican Communion has approved contraception since 1930. I don’t think that is likely to change now.

The Church of England’s problem is that they are supposed to be a national church in a nation that generally accepts homosexual relationships. The national church is out of step with national opinion, so they are under a lot of pressure from society to change their views on marriage while also being under pressure to maintain orthodoxy.
Yep. You should see the hysterical outrage these C of E comments have caused on social media.
I agree that is the case and you feel and notice it living here. However, they are completely wrong. That is, the people who demand the Church of England should permit whatever society at large deems acceptable. Being a Christian is about what God demands of us and not about what we demand of God or the Church.
Well sure, but in England, people have not seen it that way for a long time. They believe the church should ‘get with the times’ and bend to their demands. If it doesn’t, it’s backwards and has no place there.

To make matters even weirder, my hometown in USA currently has both an Episcopalian church that’s been there forever, and an “Anglican” church that just opened a few years ago.

I’ve heard some Anglican Parishes in New Zealand have joined the ‘Continuing Anglican’ movement, which I assume is what this new Anglican church belongs to.

It’s a right mess.

Last edited:
I’m actually surprised they’re holding the line on this. They must finally be realizing what a catastrophe all the concessions to the prevalent culture have been for the church. Too late, but, better late than never?

Couldn’t agree more. Do you live in the uk too? It’s hard work going against the grain all the time.

The “Continuing Anglicans” are rightly termed a movement, but there is no formal Continuing Anglican Church or jurisdiction. The term is an umbrella one, and refers to Anglican jurisdictions not in communion with the Official Anglican Communion (which is a formal sort of thing).

I’m way, way confused as to how all that works. It seems you have the Church of England; and the Anglicans; and the Episcopalians. The Episcopalians seem to have the same beliefs as the CofE but don’t recognize the authority of the CoE over them; then you have the African Anglican Bishops; who seem in full communion with the CoE… AAGGHH.
The Church of England is the original Anglican church. Because it is a state church, it has always been confined to England and England’s colonies. When those colonies became independent, the Church of England in the colonies became autonomous Anglican churches.

In the United States, because it was founded in revolution against England, the church is called “Episcopal” because that name was less controversial. An Anglican and an Episcopalian are the same exact thing; its just Episcopal is the more common term in the US.

In Canada, Australia and other places, they just named it the “Anglican Church of X”. (Except for Scotland, they named their Anglican church the Scottish Episcopal Church since they didn’t want to sound too English either).

All of the Anglican churches are independent of each other. But they do acknowledge a common heritage originating in the Church of England.

The actions of the US Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada have caused some Anglican Churches in Africa to distance themselves from those North American churches. In fact, the African bishops were instrumental in helping the Anglican Church in North America form. The ACNA is a conservative alternative to the Episcopal Church and Anglican Church of Canada, but it is not a part of the Anglican Communion.

Anglicans in Africa would mostly consider themselves in “impaired communion” with the US Episcopal Church.

Last edited:
I just wondered if they could have used any language which would have hedged it more than they did. Standing back from the article, it comes across as “sorta maybe wouldn’t it be nice”.

Over the years, I suspect I’ve posted each of these points. More than once.

Nor is the Anglican Continuum a part of the Communion. Though some members of the Communion are in communion with the ACNA. Which is not itself considered a part of the Continuum.

I know. Messy.

Last edited:
@GKMotley, would you mind refreshing my memory on which you belong to. I know it’s one that is conservative and very close to Catholicism. Anytime someone starts to explain Anglican/Episcopalian etc. my head starts getting dizzy. 🥴. Thanks!

So does mine.

I’m in the Anglican Continuum (an umbrella term, remember) . Orthodox/Anglo-Catholic, not associated with either the Anglican Communion or the ACNA. A many splintered thing, the Continuum, though recently, in places, making interesting steps to patch itself together.

I didnt read the article completely but does it also explain sex is solely for the purpose of having a child and if that is not what a heterosexual married couple trying to do they should also abstain?
Why would the CofE preach a heresy from the Catholic Church?

That is not, and has never been, Catholic teaching.
Just wondering, but shouldnt it be?
Why “should” heresy be the teaching of any church?

Thanks. Are most/some/any of the other churches under the continuum more conservative/orthodox or do they also tend to be all over the map? Again, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back