Sexuality in children ages 2-6 years old

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stephentlig
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Making a child apologize for something considered wrong in the adult world, is in itself an offence against Charity. It confuses the child and is not an expression of love and charity. Apologies are an expression of love and charity when one has full knowledge of what it is they’re apologizing for. When this knowledge is absent, forcing them to apologize is the opposite of charity.
 
We have different schools of thought. I am sorry if I offended you.
 
no, you would see nothing in Church teaching to support that a child show his genitals to another and touch the other genitals.

to touch another genitals is an agression.

Be very careful, you need to teach your son that it is not something to do, otherwise he will have very serious issues of sexual boundiaries in teenage years.
 
Last edited:
My brother did this growing up to me and when our mom saw it once, she scolded everyone. But, he continued doing it despite me not wanting to until he was basically in puberty (I was younger). I never said anything because I thought I was going to get in trouble. This behavior gave him a feeling of power over me and he bullied me my entire life. Whether or not it is from lust, this behavior allows children to trespass on other children’s boundaries which can lead to other bad behaviors (like bullying) later on. It can give children a false sense of power over younger children and if it is fueled by jealousy or other negative emotions it can continue for years without the parent’s knowledge. I’m not a parent, but I have read up on this because of my own experiences. The worst thing you can do is write it off as “curiosity”.
 
As @(name removed by moderator) said, it teaches them it is wrong. And it also teaches them humility. Indeed, it is not unusual for someone to be upset or offended by my actions, even though I do not consider them wrong. I will often apologize in those situations. You do not?
 
I am so sorry that this happend to you. Realize that what happened to you is not okay, it is not your fault. I pray you have had a good counselor to help recovery.
 
I have taught him that it is wrong, but it’s important not to make a big deal out of it as it can have adverse effects on the child. I’m just following what the church document quoted me is basically teaching. In this instance concerning sexual morality, the child is too young to be blowing it up out of proportion. St.Paul instructs as much when he says not to punish the man too much otherwise you might do him more spiritual harm than good.
 
Please refer to my reply to Thomas. I do it yes but I’m an adult and making a big deal out of something and blowing something out of the water will actually have adverse effects on the child. Two different mindsets and when it comes to degrees of punishment, prudence is necessary with regard to the psychological make-up of the person.
 
I do not see that having a child apologize to someone is making a big deal out of it or is a punishment. I can think of many times I have told one of my children to apologize to another one even thought they were convinced they were in the right. I certainly have never considered that a punishment. And I am not suggesting you make a big deal out of it. I agree, just tell him it is wrong and not to do it again. But apologizing is also a good idea. But it is, admittedly, not really my business. Good luck.
 
I’m confused. The child has been told to keep clothes on going forward, right? But the other child’s PARENTS are the ones traumatized?? I’d leave the kids out of that. YOU can apologize for your kid to the parents without your kid around (“Johnny is so sorry & he will be keeping his clothes on in the future.”) if that’s not good enough for them (which is of course their prerogative to decide) I’d just stop seeing them. They can reach out to reconnect if / when they want at some later date. I wouldn’t make my kid apologize to someone’s parents until he was past the age of reason. What will it teach an impressionable preschooler if he apologizes and the apology is not received well??! I’d think about your child first of all. The adults come second.
 
Recently my 6-year-old son was playing the daughter of another couple. When they were playing alone, my son suggested they show each others genitals and even to touch them. My son was exposed to this behaviour before with other children, the parents of which say “it’s just curiosity”, and they’re not offended. But this couple is very offended.
It’s most likely the influence from other children; Are your kids are in a school or in daycare? Schools are teaching body exploration to youngsters and teaching sex classes to kids these days so once they know about that stuff it’s in their minds. One way to deal with it is to make it clear to your youngsters that their privates are private and should be kept private.
 
I wouldn’t make my kid apologize to someone’s parents until he was past the age of reason. What will it teach an impressionable preschooler if he apologizes and the apology is not received well??! I’d think about your child first of all. The adults come second.
THANK YOU
 
I’m still working through a lot of my issues. And, the past few attempts at therapy were false starts as the mental health professional were not very professional (and one in particular was a creep). I hope to find one soon though.
 
How could a natural act be “shameful”?
Masturbation is a sin. Culpability is reduced or even non-existent for those under the age of reason.

Does not change the nature of the act.

There are dozens and dozens of masturbation threads where you can debate against God’s teachings.
 
In this day and age, parents are terrified of such things. Taking this fear to a couple of six year old kids is a gross overreaction, in my opinion anyway. Write off this girl as a potential playmate of your son, and do calmly explain to your son why this isn’t appropriate, and it shouldn’t be done again.

Freaking out about it, sends the message that our bodies, especially our private parts are dirty and shameful. Include all involved, directly or indirectly in prayers until this blows over. Ask your priest, or DRE at church to recommend when they should by a Catholic book, explaining such things to your children, and when it should be done.
 
That is true, but they can still cultivate bad habits that are hard to break when you do understand the implications.
 
Tell him Adam and Eve were husband and wife, and while it’s okay for husband and wife to be naked together, it’s not okay for others. This instills an understanding that marriage is something sacred, and should quell his curiosity for a few years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top