Share your cookware discoveries that you now can't live without

  • Thread starter Thread starter whatevergirl
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hate the way that any little spill - even water, for Pete’s sake - will burn on the smooth cooktop eternally! I have all the fancy cleaners, etc., and can get it shiny, but there is always something that refuses to come off, no matter what. And the idea of having to use a razor blade on my stove…crazy!

For a pot of any sort to be worth $380 to me, it would have to be made of solid gold.

I am going to have to look into one of these enamel coated dutch ovens, though…
Is there an advantage to the enamel coating versus the plain old cast iron?
 
:tsktsk: What? You have broken the cardinal rule of putting your cast iron pot in the…gasp…dishwasher??? hahahaha 😃 Seriously, it states in the booklet, not to do that. I thought…what? And you have never had a rusting problem?? Liza, can you rewrite the booklet? 😃
Glad to!! 😉 I do get a tiny bit of rust in the sink if I let the pan sit for too long, but hardly anything I am concerned about. Never have I had any rust on the top edges that are not enameled. I’ve had both pans for well over a year now, and I’m not particularly kind to them. 😛
Someone in this thread (sorry, too lazy to scroll back up) mentioned the store…’‘Home Goods?’’ I was looking for the UPS store the other day, and ended up in the ‘‘wrong’’ plaza, and drove right by this! I’m excited, I’m going to check it out when I have time over the Christmas break. I didn’t realize we had one here in Tampa. 🙂
I think that was me - I got my larger pan at HomeGoods. Beware of massive addiction to this store!!! It is owned by TJMaxx, so consider that store without the clothing, but only stuff for the home. They have a fantastic food section with all the cool imported stuff, and the clearance is always a great place to shop too. I never go anywhere else for wedding gifts - I go to the crystal aisle at HomeGoods if they have something like that on their registry. 😉

~Liza
 
To get the cooked on food out of your enameled (or any other pan that is stove top safe)…

Put some water and liquid dish soap in the pan and put it on the burner. Bring it to a boil, then let it cool til it is cool enough to put your hand in the water - the food will come right out.
:yup:
 
I just hate the way that any little spill - even water, for Pete’s sake - will burn on the smooth cooktop eternally! I have all the fancy cleaners, etc., and can get it shiny, but there is always something that refuses to come off, no matter what. And the idea of having to use a razor blade on my stove…crazy!
:confused: why? It’s so easy and simple. i frequently overboil potatoes… :o Instead of all the starchy water running down under an electric coil to the inner parts of the stove, it stays right on top… i quick wipe it right away and put the pot back on (after lowering the temp lol). Then when I clean up, I run a blade attached to a handle over the remaining mess, comes right off, then wash with soap and water. Everything always comes off with a very small amt of elbow grease. 🤷

I love my new ceramic cooktop. 🙂 and I loved my old one, too, until I cracked it, and them completely obliterated it by dropping a 20 lb turkey on it the day before Tgiving. 😊
 
Is there an advantage to the enamel coating versus the plain old cast iron?
Yes! Very much an advantage is that you can cook with acidic foods without risking messing up the iron in the pan. If you tried cooking a tomato based sauce in cast iron, it picks up a funny (metallic) taste and any tiny speck of area the pan is not completely seasoned will start to pit. Cook enough times and you’ll see the pit.

With enamel over it, it which is like a smooth ceramic coat, you can cook anything in it and the taste of the food doesn’t pick up a metal flavor. Also, as you cook food, the natural sugars in the food begin to break down and burn (like when sauteed onions begin to brown) and the starch in food will stick these baked sugars to the ceramic (enamel). That will also happen in an iron pan, but with the enamel you can add a liquid to deglaze the pan and it comes off easily with a wooden spoon (which recovers all the flavor of those baked sugars into the liquid). You’d be days trying to remove it from uncoated cast iron.

If you have anything especially sugary foods like molasses stick to the enamel, a little hot water and vinegar will loosen them after a few minutes of soak time.
 
:confused: why? It’s so easy and simple. i frequently overboil potatoes… :o Instead of all the starchy water running down under an electric coil to the inner parts of the stove, it stays right on top… i quick wipe it right away and put the pot back on (after lowering the temp lol). Then when I clean up, I run a blade attached to a handle over the remaining mess, comes right off, then wash with soap and water. Everything always comes off with a very small amt of elbow grease. 🤷

I love my new ceramic cooktop. 🙂 and I loved my old one, too, until I cracked it, and them completely obliterated it by dropping a 20 lb turkey on it the day before Tgiving. 😊
Mine seems to take an enormous amount of elbow grease, and there are some spots that just refuse to budge. I also hate the possibility of cracking a stovetop, which, being a confirmed klutz, I will surely do at some point.

I’m researching gas cooktops. It apparently wouldn’t be too hard to install, as we already have a gas line, so I think I’ll head in that direction when we do new countertops in the next year or so. I prefer cooking with gas anyway.
 
Mine seems to take an enormous amount of elbow grease, and there are some spots that just refuse to budge. I also hate the possibility of cracking a stovetop, which, being a confirmed klutz, I will surely do at some point.

I’m researching gas cooktops. It apparently wouldn’t be too hard to install, as we already have a gas line, so I think I’ll head in that direction when we do new countertops in the next year or so. I prefer cooking with gas anyway.
well, seriously, if gas is an option, why consider anything else? 🙂 I don’t have that option :(, so as far as electric goes, I’ll take the ceramic any day. Of course, I grew up with a regular coil, and I HATED HATED keeping that thing clean. what a nightmare.
 
This is a bit off, but I love my Homer Laughlin Fiesta disk pitcher. It is in constant use as I use it for ice tea - 2 large cold brew bags and a pitcher full of cold water makes perfect ice tea. I bought mine at the pottery outlet and did buy one for a gift at Macys. Fiesta ware is great - assortment of dishes, bakeware, etc - many beautiful colors and so durable. Homer Laughlins has a great website with the Fiesta line feautured. fiestafactorydirect.com/
I finally purchased a set of Fiestaware last year and absolutely love it. I bought a variety of colors, and I love the fact that I can always replace a broken dish, even if the color is retired, and it doesn’t matter. I also purchased the small oval platters along with the regular round dishes, as they are great for pasta, the sides being higher. I, too, am a frequent shopper at Homer Laughlin. I have my eyes on that set of gorgeous marigold mixing bowls. Eventually, I’d like to have something in every color. They will be great to someday pass on to my daughter.
 
*I don’t know if anyone has this or not…but what about Princess House stuff? I LOVE this line. A friend of mine back in PA had a friend who would throw PH parties all the time, and I have bought such great things…measuring cups and casserole dishes, but they are pretty also. So, when you put them out for company, they ‘‘look’’ a little more elegant than a simple casserole dish. They are so durable though…they also make more delicate items, I bought a few brandy glasses (not sure if that’s their official name), but the kids dropped a few on the floor when they were younger. :o

I highly recommend that line…

And…how about Pampered Chef? I have not been ‘wow-ed’ with this line. I bought a few things, they were …eh…I wouldn’t buy anything from them again. Nothing horrible about the line, just not wow.*
Probably the one kitchen tool I am really attached to is the garlic press from Pampered Chef. I use it constantly and it’s the best one I ever used. I also have their mixing bowls that you can pour out of, and I love them. Other than those, the only thing I am interested in is that skinny spatula that can fit into a ketchup bottle. My daughter has one, and it is a very useful tool.

My son and daughter-in-law manage restaurants, so if I want a particular utensil, like a nice knife or something, I ask them to order it for me from one of their restaurant supply catalogues. Or I buy at a restaurant supply store. My son gave me a beautiful chopping knife for Christmas one year that I love, that is another kitchen tool I wouldn’t be without. It has a great, comfortable handle, and a well-designed blade, and looks like new. Good knives are a must to me in the kitchen.
 
I have another thing to recommend…well, I’d give it a B+…the “magic bullet.” It’s sold pretty much everywhere, not expensive…it is great for smoothies, salsas, chopping onions, etc. Oh, and it has a separate part for grinding coffee beans…I have liked it. The only thing I’ll say about it, that’s negative, is it doesn’t chop ice as quickly as the infomercial advertises. I also don’t think it chops fruit completely for smoothies, so you might have to keep it running for a little longer than normal to make smoothies, super smooth.
Magic Bullet has that food processor (forget what it’s called) that looks verrry interesting. I was inspecting one the other day at the store. I have a small food processor that I like, but this one seems to be able to do a lot more. Anyone have one, and how do you like it?
 
Wow, this sounds like something my old Italian aunts used to use! 😃 Right off the boat from Italy! I remember as a little girl, visiting with my dad’s sisters and brothers back when we lived in NJ, and they would have that crank type pasta ‘‘machine,’’ and a tomato presser to can tomato sauce! :eek: I imagine my dad’s family (including my dad) are rolling over in their graves knowing that I ‘‘sometimes’’ use jar pasta sauce! :eek::eek: lol I think it’s so cool that you use this! I love homemade pasta so much…it would be a worthwhile venture. 🙂
If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer you can get a pasta maker attachment for it. It costs retail about $129 before any store coupons or discounts. An electric pasta maker costs roughly the same, maybe a little cheaper. I’m waiting for my mother to give me hers, she doesn’t use it any more, but is not quite ready to give it up, although she is close.😉
 
agree whole heartedly about Black and Decker appliances, they make more than drills, quieter, processes food better, easier to clean. BTW when you simply cannot get a jar open, have your hubby drill a hole in the lid with his B&D and that breaks the seal (if he doesn’t break the jar first).

one thing I am looking for that also stayed with the old trailer is a self-cleaning garlic press, you flip it backwards and little teeth punch the goop out of the holes

till then I will stick with chopped garlic in jars from the produce dept, or roast whole garlic heads

I finally found a one-sandwich size electric fry pan, horrible, heats unevenly, burns half the sandwich, and the rest of the cheese does not even melt, nearly impossible to get the handle with the controls on and off

my GF grill is a one-steak or fillet size. when it is unplugged and cool I fold up 4-5 paper towels and get them wet, put them in the grill and close it and let it sit for a while. the goop wipes up with paper towels. then I spray the whole thing inside and out with spray kitchen cleaner like windex, wipe until there is no brown residue anywhere, and store it with a piece of paper towel in between the grill plates. I wipe with a damp towel before I use it, and never grease it or use pam. yes it could be easier to clean but even the ones with removable grill plates still seem to need a lot of cleaning of the base.
The Pampered Chef garlic press has a little gray utensil with tiny prongs that comes with it. All you do is press it into the holes when you’re done and it gets all the leftovers out. Very easy to use–takes a sec.
 
Sorry folks, for so many posts. I just got in on the thread and cooking is one of my favorite subjects!
 
Like an earlier poster, my Rabbit wine cork remover is an essential. We bought some Calphalon cookie sheets this year and they are the best I’ve ever used. The most well used item in our kitchen is our toaster over with the crock pot a close second.
 
well, seriously, if gas is an option, why consider anything else? 🙂 I don’t have that option :(, so as far as electric goes, I’ll take the ceramic any day. Of course, I grew up with a regular coil, and I HATED HATED keeping that thing clean. what a nightmare.
That is the only drawback with this cast iron pot…really takes a lot of work to clean it, and I hate cleaning. 😛
 
*Well, just wanted to give a little cookware update. For Christmas, I mentioned that my dh and I were going to buy some additional things for the kitchen, as opposed to buying for each other, separately. So, we ended up buying a food processor…and some additional pots and pans. Oh and new silverware. Spoons are like socks…where do they disappear to?? :ehh:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this food processor. We have a very small version, but it only is good for chopping nuts, onions, etc. This FP is AWESOME…how did I ever live without this? I made omelettes tonight in literally half the time it would take me to chop all the veggies by hand. Unbelievable! I love this.

I tried chopping strawberries afterwards, and oops…I think I did something wrong, they came minced. Minced strawberries are really weird looking and tasting. Guess I either did something wrong, or it’s not meant for chopping fruit?*
 
If you have a KitchenAid stand mixer you can get a pasta maker attachment for it. It costs retail about $129 before any store coupons or discounts. An electric pasta maker costs roughly the same, maybe a little cheaper. I’m waiting for my mother to give me hers, she doesn’t use it any more, but is not quite ready to give it up, although she is close.😉
*On my list for next year. It was between this and a food processor, and we opted for the FP. I can’t believe how much I love it. Thank you for your post here, because I’ll keep this in mind. *
 
*Oh my…this sounds wonderful! 🙂 Thank you for this recipe. I’m surprised a little booklet didn’t come with this pot because since I’ve never cooked with something like this (well, we had a regular cast iron pan a while back in our marriage) I need some help.

I was wondering how this sounds for Christmas dinner? It will be just me and the kiddos this year…we’re not traveling until AFTER the holiday, since dh has to work ON Christmas. :mad: That’s a topic for another time…grateful for work, but amazing that Disney is keeping his dept open. Oh well. I was wondering after kage posted about braising beef…about making something along those lines for our Christmas dinner…what kind of seasonings do you ‘‘rub’’ onto the meet before braising? Giada made something like this recently, I need to see if she has any tips on her page.

Thx in advance for the help!*
I never ended up making the braised beef for Christmas dinner yesterday. Opted to make lasagna. Maybe the braised beef for a new year’s meal. :hmmm: Yes, think that’ll be a good idea. Sorry, thinking out loud everyone. :whistle:
 
I tried chopping strawberries afterwards, and oops…I think I did something wrong, they came minced. Minced strawberries are really weird looking and tasting. Guess I either did something wrong, or it’s not meant for chopping fruit?*
I dunno about strawberries in FL but this time of year they’d be quite soft. I’m not sure that it’s the best time to automatically chop them. On a side note if there’s a lower setting or a wider blade you should try that.
 
I dunno about strawberries in FL but this time of year they’d be quite soft. I’m not sure that it’s the best time to automatically chop them. On a side note if there’s a lower setting or a wider blade you should try that.
Yes, something definitely went awry! lol My dh actually took the bludgeoned mess, and made jam out of it. I was upstairs last night, when he was doing this, after he came home from work…but, saw it this morning, and it actually looks pretty decent. 🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top