C
CountrySinger
Guest
I have friends who work at the Old Navy in town, and the store is open on Thanksgiving! I was in shock. Who would buy clotthes? I could understand a pharmacy or grocery store.
*Yes, that’s true. *Back in the time of Dickens, people didn’t get off for holidays. Remember Scrooge and Cratchit? He wouldn’t let Cratchit off. The book was seen as an indictment of 19th century capitalism. It was written in 1843.
Gradually, workers got rights but began losing them in the 1950s with stores staying open on Sundays. Now we have our holidays being sacrificed for the pursuit of materialism in the 21 century. What goes around, comes around.
*LOL…yes, my husband said the same thing tonight when we were talking about this…he said…Disney’s open every day…no closings ever. lol It’s crazy that his dept stays open, he’s in the group reservations dept …who is calling to make group reservations ON a holiday? He said, the international travelers…so, that makes sense, I guess. He’s off tomorrow, we’re happy…he worked thanksgiving last year.if people did not shop the stores would not stay open
I worked for USPS for several years and during all that time had perhaps 3 holidays off so I don’t really sympathize
When I was young I use to enjoy going down town to shop at the specialty stores. Mix in the shopping with the snow and carols and decorations, and general Christmas spirit it was actualy fun. Much more like in the old movies. I wouldn’t mind taking my kids to an environment like that. Unfortunately it seems like shopping today is a more high stress combative environment.I am not a Black Friday shopper in general, so maybe this is why I can’t relate at all…I have always avoided the malls, shops, etc the day after Thanksgiving…it’s just crazy crowded and busy…and the crowds are very aggressive. Lots of thefts happen too…Just not for me. I’ll pay the extra money to avoid all that!*
It’s almost as crazy as people posting to forums in the middle of the night.I don’t see how these people can go shopping at midnight or 3am. I mean with getting up early Thanksgiving morning to watch the Macy’s parade and start the turkey, cooking half the day, watching football in the afternoon, then movies and leftovers in the evening, I’m beat!And then there are those poor people who have to do dinner with his family early and with her family late so they can spend time with both families.
Personally, I don’t like crowds at all so I avoid all non-grocery shopping from the day before Thanksgiving through the end of the year. I have almost all of my shopping done, and I am a huge fan of online shopping.
:hypno: You mean like those of us who are stuck at work (and have to stay awake) with no phones ringing, no radio traffic and nothing good on TV while everyone else sleeps?It’s almost as crazy as people posting to forums in the middle of the night.![]()
and those who are trying to get stuff ready for thanksgiving -]tomorrow/-]… today:hypno: You mean like those of us who are stuck at work (and have to stay awake) with no phones ringing, no radio traffic and nothing good on TV while everyone else sleeps?
well yes but we’re addicts, hmmmmm:bluelite: on aisle 5 maybe they just can’t help themselvesIt’s almost as crazy as people posting to forums in the middle of the night.![]()
It’s almost as crazy as people posting to forums in the middle of the night.![]()