D
Diddi
Guest
Robert Steinback of the Miami Herald compares today to the 1950s. Today, as in the 1950s, we live in a conservative “fantasy world of domestic harmony while stuck in a costly, endless foreign war.”
“Imagine a decade of domestic peace and harmony – but which is an illusion that ignores the cries of a scorned minority trying desperately to make the majority understand that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
“Today’s political liberals are the black Americans of a half-century ago – social outcasts whose protestations about principles and fair play are heard by no one in power.”
“If the pattern holds, I fear global tensions and increasing economic frailty will cause America’s bubble of self-delusion to burst, leading to a period of national anxiety and stress as we reexamine the wisdom of having endorsed the myopic neo-conservative extremism of our current leaders.”
“But I also believe a new wave of enlightenment will occur as it did among young people in the 1960s, for whom love, freedom, peace and justice became ideals worth standing for.”
commondreams.org/views05/0427-22.htm
Wow! I didn’t realize that political liberals were being held back so much. The political liberals I know are pretty well off – good jobs and nice homes and cars, but maybe they are having problems I wasn’t aware of. This is shocking!
I also wasn’t aware that this had become a conservative dream world. When did they let singing Christmas carols back in the public schools? When was Roe vs Wade rescinded? Did I miss something?
“Imagine a decade of domestic peace and harmony – but which is an illusion that ignores the cries of a scorned minority trying desperately to make the majority understand that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
“Today’s political liberals are the black Americans of a half-century ago – social outcasts whose protestations about principles and fair play are heard by no one in power.”
“If the pattern holds, I fear global tensions and increasing economic frailty will cause America’s bubble of self-delusion to burst, leading to a period of national anxiety and stress as we reexamine the wisdom of having endorsed the myopic neo-conservative extremism of our current leaders.”
“But I also believe a new wave of enlightenment will occur as it did among young people in the 1960s, for whom love, freedom, peace and justice became ideals worth standing for.”
commondreams.org/views05/0427-22.htm
Wow! I didn’t realize that political liberals were being held back so much. The political liberals I know are pretty well off – good jobs and nice homes and cars, but maybe they are having problems I wasn’t aware of. This is shocking!
I also wasn’t aware that this had become a conservative dream world. When did they let singing Christmas carols back in the public schools? When was Roe vs Wade rescinded? Did I miss something?