I agree with those who say volunteer. But set some kind of limit, and make sure that you don’t make volunteering a full-time job–it doesn’t pay enough.

I would say to volunteer for three months, and THEN try applying for jobs again, this time listing your volunteer experiences and including references from the person who supervised your volunteer work.
Here is a suggestion–apply for housekeeping jobs in the hospitals in your area. Often housekeeping will hire even if there is a freeze on all the other positions. Yes, it’s humble work, but it’s rewarding, and the people who work in housekeeping are usually really friendly. It’s rewarding because often, patients who are lonely or scared will open up with the lady who comes to clean their room, and then you don’t have to talk–just listen! You will earn crowns in heaven for doing this, and in many hospitals you won’t get in trouble for being “behind” on the job if you are helping patients!
Working in a hospital usually means decent wages, and BENEFITS (the magic word these days!). And many hospitals will either PAY for you to go to school to earn a certificate or degree in a field that they need; e.g., PCT (patient care technician, or CNA, which means certified nursing assistant). If they don’t pay, they will re-imburse. It’s a good deal.
Don’t worry about talking to other people. Most people don’t want someone to talk to them–they want someone to LISTEN to them! I suggest that you practice asking a couple of questions that will get others started talking, and then just smile and listen. You will become one of the most popular people in your city! Examples of such questions are, “So tell me about your interests outside of church” or “If someone wants to have a really nice time in our area, where would you recommend they go?” or “I wish I could join a club in the area–do you have any ideas of really nice organizations that I should check out?”
Good luck to you!