Skipping mass because of sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pwlj_christ87
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pwlj_christ87

Guest
hi , today is sunday and i usually go to mass to partake in the eucharist, however usually i feel that if i stumble today, that it is not a big deal if i skip mass due to the sin… the fact of the matter is that i dont want to go to mass because i cant partake in the eucharist, and i feel that i sinned way to soon to my last confession… in either event, maybe i should go and not take the eucharist or will god understand how i feel here?
 
the biggest thing that gets me down about this is the fact that before every sunday ifi am to confess, i see the head priest and the other ones and i give off the iemage that i am going to come to mass but continue sinning, which is not my inteent or not the case, i need the sacrament quite often but i dont want it to seem that im just going before the mass so i can quickly get on the way with the eucharist go home and repeat, its more of a mental thing for me .
 
Confession is one of the greatest gifts ever given to us. It is Jesus forgiving us no matter how many times you commit the sin and no matter how bad of a sin it is. Everyone sins, and everyday. So do not be worried about what your priest(s) think of you because we are all sinners, including them. Confession is something that can and should be received as many times as you need, whether that’s every week or twice a year. But do not fear about what they think of you, in fact they are happy that you are growing closer to Christ.

Now the second part you mentioned about Mass. The Mass is a sacrifice, one where we offer up Jesus to God. The Mass isn’t an event that is meant to entertain us for an hour. We are there to worship and praise God. So yes, even if you cannot receive the sacrament of communion you should still go to glorify God.

Hope this helps and God bless,
ChurchSuffering
 
hi , today is sunday and i usually go to mass to partake in the eucharist, however usually i feel that if i stumble today, that it is not a big deal if i skip mass due to the sin… the fact of the matter is that i dont want to go to mass because i cant partake in the eucharist, and i feel that i sinned way to soon to my last confession… in either event, maybe i should go and not take the eucharist or will god understand how i feel here?
Hello, dear one 👋

I have felt the same as you describe – not wanting to go to mass because I cannot receive Holy Communion. I play the organ at mass, and it’s extremely obvious (and a bit embarrassing) if I don’t go up to receive Communion.

But that’s not why I’m at mass. I go to mass out of obedience to Christ, and in my love for Him and His wishes: “If you love me, keep my commandments.” So I go, no matter how yucky my soul feels, and whether or not I am in a state of grace. If I have already committed a grave sin that keeps me from receiving Him in Holy Communion, I certainly don’t want to add to that by committing the sin of not attending mass on a holy day of obligation (Sunday).

So, just to be clear, we do not go to mass for the sole purpose of receiving Communion. We go to mass to be present at the sacrifice of Christ on Calvary. And we go on Sundays and other holy days of obligation because His Church tells us to.

Missing mass on a Sunday for no significant reason (e.g., care of a sick child, personal illness, etc.) is grave matter. If you miss Sunday mass knowing it is grave matter, and with free will you are committing a mortal sin. Not going because you are already in grave sin is not a good reason to miss Sunday mass :nope:

Priests are usually delighted with “repeat customers” in the confessional – it shows we are striving for increased holiness and virtue. So get to confession and keep striving after holiness. We all sin – some of us more than others :whistle: – and we can all be forgiven when we repent 👍

God bless you, and keep trying!

Gertie
 
Confession is one of the greatest gifts ever given to us. It is Jesus forgiving us no matter how many times you commit the sin and no matter how bad of a sin it is. Everyone sins, and everyday. So do not be worried about what your priest(s) think of you because we are all sinners, including them. Confession is something that can and should be received as many times as you need, whether that’s every week or twice a year. But do not fear about what they think of you, in fact they are happy that you are growing closer to Christ.

Now the second part you mentioned about Mass. The Mass is a sacrifice, one where we offer up Jesus to God. The Mass isn’t an event that is meant to entertain us for an hour. We are there to worship and praise God. So yes, even if you cannot receive the sacrament of communion you should still go to glorify God.

Hope this helps and God bless,
ChurchSuffering
We are only required to receive during the Easter Season. Do not let sin keep you away, Jesus waits to welcome you with his loving arms. Go to Mass.
 
I think that skipping Mass can lead to an ongoing downward spiral.

You skip Mass because you can’t receive communion…then you skip praying because what difference does it make if you skipped Mass…then you skip confession because you’re feeling so spiritually in a hole that it doesn’t matter anymore…and it takes a lot of effort to get out of that hole and get back on track.

Keep going to Mass, keep praying, keep going to confession, keep up all the practices you can, even if you’re not perfect at them. They provide a framework that supports us, even in the bad times.
 
I think that skipping Mass can lead to an ongoing downward spiral.

You skip Mass because you can’t receive communion…then you skip praying because what difference does it make if you skipped Mass…then you skip confession because you’re feeling so spiritually in a hole that it doesn’t matter anymore…and it takes a lot of effort to get out of that hole and get back on track.

Keep going to Mass, keep praying, keep going to confession, keep up all the practices you can, even if you’re not perfect at them. They provide a framework that supports us, even in the bad times.
👍 👍 👍
 
I think that skipping Mass can lead to an ongoing downward spiral.

You skip Mass because you can’t receive communion…then you skip praying because what difference does it make if you skipped Mass…then you skip confession because you’re feeling so spiritually in a hole that it doesn’t matter anymore…and it takes a lot of effort to get out of that hole and get back on track.

Keep going to Mass, keep praying, keep going to confession, keep up all the practices you can, even if you’re not perfect at them. They provide a framework that supports us, even in the bad times.
AMEN!
We need the Mass! We need the grace of being in the presence of God. We need to pray fro others! The church needs your participation and your prayers. Look outward to the One who waits for you. Not inward so much. The priests would rather see sinners who are trying, than people who think they are above (or below) going to Mass.
God asks so little of us. Go. Don’t ever stay away from Mass. God bless you on your journey. trust me, as our CAF friend says " everyone is fighting some battle".
 
Obviously it is good to receive Communion as often as you can.

However, there are many reasons to go to Mass but not receive Communion, and it is perfectly normal to go and not receive. Nor is it anybody’s business what reason you have.

For example, breaking the Communion fast. Tons of people end up having to do this, even though it’s only an hour before Communion. Of course you go to Mass, and of course you don’t go to Communion. No big deal.

Similarly, it’s still normal for people not to receive Communion because they can’t manage to get properly disposed. If you’re sitting there boiling with anger at the guy who tried to kill you in traffic, instead of putting your mind to prayer – then, even if it hasn’t reached the point of sin, it’s not really a good state to receive the Lord. So you go to Mass, but you don’t go to Communion.

(There are even some people who decide they are not disposed correctly because they feel unappreciative of Jesus, and take a break from Communion for a week or so until they want Him really badly. (But they still go to Mass, of course!) This kind of “Eucharistic fast” is something you should be careful with, but it can be a good cure for complacency.)

Even if you can’t receive Communion for one of the above reasons or because of having a mortal sin on your soul, you can still put your mind to receiving a spiritual Communion by praying to Jesus and being with Him in your heart, during Communion time at church. (Or any time, for that matter.)

If anybody gets nosy about why you’re not going up for Communion, just tell them it’s none of their business. (In a nice way, if possible.)
 
I think if everyone skipped mass because of sin, the churches would be empty.
 
I think if everyone skipped mass because of sin, the churches would be empty.
Oh yes! 😃

A priest I used to know said, when someone would say they didn’t go to Mass because of all the hypocrites, he’d reply: “There’s always room for one more!” 😃

We’re all sinners, so if we all skipped Mass because of sin, we’d never go.
 
thanks guys, i ended up going to mass and even though ididnt receive communion i had a very good time / well spiritual time that is, i felt alot more human than normal and i asked the holy spirit to stir in me desire to go to confession yet also feel humility that i am a sinner,

thanks again , i would have stayed home if you did not all respond

godbless you all
 
I am a recent convert to the Catholic Church having compleated RCIA last Easter, but because of my marital status (a second marriage without an annulment) I have not been recieved into the Church. Of course I do not take communion.
Yet in past year and a half Ihave not missed a Sunday Mass nor an Holy Day of Obligation. I just cant. There is too much distance between me and our Lord as is. I cant bear any more.
Thing is, the members of the Parrish treat me as one of the group even though Im not. An act of kindness and charity for which I am truely grateful.
 
A good question, and a good discussion with excellent responses!

👍👍

I just want to suggest what I have done in similar circumstances - go up to receive a blessing, if that is the custom in your church. The custom itself has generated debate in CAF, but if your parish permits it (and most do), then you are able avail yourself of it.

Apart from anything else, it saves you the awkwardness of staying in your seat.

In the old days fewer people received communion so there was no awkwardness for an individual in not receiving communion. We now have a problem which the church needs to address in some way.
 
If you skip Mass because you don’t want the embarrassment of not going up for communion, then you’ve just taken on another sin to take to confession.

Do you know that you can make a spiritual communion, at any time of the day, but certainly at Mass when you do not go up. You can google spiritual communion prayers. Here’s one…

An Act of Spiritual Communion

My Jesus, I believe that Thou art present in the Blessed Sacrament. I love Thee above all
things and I desire Thee in my soul. Since I cannot now receive Thee sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. As though thou wert already there, I embrace
Thee and unite myself wholly to Thee; permit not that I should ever be separated from
Thee (St. Alphonsus Maria de’ Liguori).

Mass is many things but if you consider it as a work that you do, a good work of mercy with eternal rewards, it would be difficult to put it aside so easily. All of us should try to be attentive during the service, to offer the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ to repair for our sins and the sins of the world. There are people who are in their last days and last hours before coming before the throne of God and are not ready. This is our chance to ask graces to shower down upon the world and especially those most in need. Do you have people that you are praying for? There is nothing more powerful than to be present at Mass (and show respect by not receiving when you shouldn’t, there is merit in that) and lay down yourself and those most in need, asking for grace. This truth might become more powerful if you have a loved one who becomes desperately ill, has lost a job or a baby, was in a serious accident. Sometimes we are in a position where we need a miracle. It’s a blessing when, at the moment, our life seems to be pretty smooth sailing. Something very much to say Thank You for too.

I’m glad you went to Mass today despite your inclination, or should I say temptation? God bless.
 
I think that skipping Mass can lead to an ongoing downward spiral.

You skip Mass because you can’t receive communion…then you skip praying because what difference does it make if you skipped Mass…then you skip confession because you’re feeling so spiritually in a hole that it doesn’t matter anymore…and it takes a lot of effort to get out of that hole and get back on track.

Keep going to Mass, keep praying, keep going to confession, keep up all the practices you can, even if you’re not perfect at them. They provide a framework that supports us, even in the bad times.
How do you break out of it?

I consider myself to be a glass cannon. I neither possess courage to face my personal demons of sin, nor do I have conscientiousness (even in college, I was the probably in the 10th percentile of conscientiousness there, as I turned in about two-thirds of assignments, and rarely studied. I got decent grades because I was able to primarily rely on my intellect and memory. I spend my free time doing things such as watching Kanto Pokémon episodes for hours. I actually liked it more in college than as an adolescent.) In other words, my personal attributes render me with a below average ability to persevere.

While I was converting, I did not want to develop such a shallow faith as I was aware of Christ’s rebuke to the Laodicean Church before I converted and it was my favorite passage then, and the idea of missing Mass was an anathema to me. During this process, the Spirit endowed me with (1) zeal and passion so that my innate dearth of conscientiousness would not be a problem and (2) consolation as that allowed me to face my former perceived inadequacies and self-criticism and see myself as a created being loved by God. Those feelings are gone now, and I have to be a Catholic with my less stellar attributes. Furthermore, I had a few negative spiritual experiences that made me doubt the value of my own sincerity and natural benevolence to God; that coupled with my high neuroticism, made me apathetic rather than scrupulous because I decided that I did not want to live my life feeling intimidated by God or inferior. I became dejected as came to realize that I possess few desirable qualities to be a satisfactory saint, much like a prospective Minor League baseball player being told by scouts that he did not have to talent to make it to “the show”.

Now, I often feel lonely since most of my friends attend different parishes and moved. I may be lucky to have someone to confide with or discuss interesting subjects on Sunday. It just feels so alienating not to go and not receive Communion. (I am autistic, and I am often uninterested in most casual conversions and I do not know how to initiate conversions, or even bother with small talk.)
 
I’ve been in that downward spiral myself. Something that’s made a huge difference in my life is having a spiritual director – someone I can turn to when there are issues, someone who will encourage me when I need it and challenge me when I need it, someone who reminds me of God’s love for me no matter what. Perhaps someone similar would be equally helpful for you.
 
I’ve been in that downward spiral myself. Something that’s made a huge difference in my life is having a spiritual director – someone I can turn to when there are issues, someone who will encourage me when I need it and challenge me when I need it, someone who reminds me of God’s love for me no matter what. Perhaps someone similar would be equally helpful for you.
I don’t know if I could find one that would be suitable for me.

I suppose I want someone who I can discuss intellectual topics with as most of the spiritual and personal issues in my life have intellectual dimension. Also I want someone with shared values, since I do not want to have major ideological and philosophical disagreements, particularly the former. I rejected spiritual direction from a parish that had a very conservative priest, and I did not want a director that likely shared his values.

Everyone needs to be challenged someway, but for me, since I do not have resilience, it would require finesse so I would not feel discouraged.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top