Small Questions about The Miracle of The Sun...

  • Thread starter Thread starter NormalBeliever
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NormalBeliever

Guest
Everyone has heard by now about the miracle of the sun at Fatima.But…I have a question.

What REALLY happened there?

The sun danced.But really…

Some witnesses say the sun just span on it’s axis…and said that was the ‘‘dancing’’ while other portrayals say the sun slowly moved around a circle in the sky.

Some people when they hear ‘‘dancing sun’’ they think the sun moving wildly across the sky.

I first thought that this miracle was amazing because I thought the sun wildly moved everywhere in the sky…but now…I really do not know and I am not sure.

So what did the sun really do that day?

Also,I am faced with this dillema…what about the people who thought it was the end of the world?

If people thought it was the end of the world,and decided to run or panic,then why wasn’t there a stampede with some people hurt or even killed?
 
Just google “miracle of Fatima” and you can read what movements the sun made. They have photos of the people as well.

As I read it, the miracle of the sun did not happen but for a few moments, so it probably all took place too quickly for the crowd to react and panic.

But another miracle as a result of this sun dance is not sufficiently recognized for the miracle that it was. It was the miracle of the sun drying out the clothes of the people and drying out the muck of the mud as a result of all the rain that poured down the night before.
The people were soaking wet and the ground was a quagmire of slippery mud. And this was all made dry within a few minutes. So this miracle cannot be explained away by any psychological reasoning since it was a fact outside of the mind that took place in reality.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
 
Just google “miracle of Fatima” and you can read what movements the sun made. They have photos of the people as well.

As I read it, the miracle of the sun did not happen but for a few moments, so it probably all took place too quickly for the crowd to react and panic.

But another miracle as a result of this sun dance is not sufficiently recognized for the miracle that it was. It was the miracle of the sun drying out the clothes of the people and drying out the muck of the mud as a result of all the rain that poured down the night before.
The people were soaking wet and the ground was a quagmire of slippery mud. And this was all made dry within a few minutes. So this miracle cannot be explained away by any psychological reasoning since it was a fact outside of the mind that took place in reality.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
Thank you and God Bless, Memaw
 
Just google “miracle of Fatima” and you can read what movements the sun made. They have photos of the people as well.

As I read it, the miracle of the sun did not happen but for a few moments, so it probably all took place too quickly for the crowd to react and panic.

But another miracle as a result of this sun dance is not sufficiently recognized for the miracle that it was. It was the miracle of the sun drying out the clothes of the people and drying out the muck of the mud as a result of all the rain that poured down the night before.
The people were soaking wet and the ground was a quagmire of slippery mud. And this was all made dry within a few minutes. So this miracle cannot be explained away by any psychological reasoning since it was a fact outside of the mind that took place in reality.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.
You sure it lasted for a short time?

Every other article as well as other websites mention it lasted from a few minutes to up to ten minutes.

In fact,I have read that several interviews were done with people still alive today for a small documentary which show people saying ‘‘It wasn’t as friendly as you have been told!In fact,we all thought it was the end of the world,it was actually terrible!’’

So it still seems unanswered as to why they didn’t react and panic…
 
You sure it lasted for a short time?

Every other article as well as other websites mention it lasted from a few minutes to up to ten minutes.

In fact,I have read that several interviews were done with people still alive today for a small documentary which show people saying ‘‘It wasn’t as friendly as you have been told!In fact,we all thought it was the end of the world,it was actually terrible!’’

So it still seems unanswered as to why they didn’t react and panic…
What was your reaction to the mud situation?
 
You sure it lasted for a short time?

Every other article as well as other websites mention it lasted from a few minutes to up to ten minutes.

In fact,I have read that several interviews were done with people still alive today for a small documentary which show people saying ‘‘It wasn’t as friendly as you have been told!In fact,we all thought it was the end of the world,it was actually terrible!’’

So it still seems unanswered as to why they didn’t react and panic…
True, in fact, I think the basic portrayal of the “Miracle of the Sun” in the movie “The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima” from about the year 1953 is actually a fairly accurate portrayal of how it happened.

And as they say, view from up to 40-50 miles away.

This has always been amazing. Too, another good post above is the one saying that the clothes and the mud went dry is what is called a miracle. I didn’t know that.

A good book that indeed are the words of the witness at Fatima; is “Meet the Witnesses”.

amazon.com/Meet-Witnesses-John-M-Haffert/dp/1890137561/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/181-2052467-9040605

How interesting it is as well that reportedly, His Holiness Pope Pius XII had the “vision” and saw the Miracle of the Sun walking in the Vatican gardens, so in fact, this happened not back when it actually happened but a number of years later. Reportedly he saw it a number of times.

zenit.org/en/articles/pius-xii-saw-miracle-of-the-sun
According to his own testimony, the Pope who declared the dogma of the Assumption saw the “miracle of the sun” four times.
 
Most if not all of the witnesses would be dead now, the events of Fatima happened now almost 100 years ago.

1917: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_F%C3%A1tima

But I had the same questions, so to repeat myself, I read the book where a number of the witnesses were interviewed: amazon.com/Meet-Witnesses-John-M-Haffert/dp/1890137561/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/181-2052467-9040605

The book was written in the years after World War II from what I remember. Their testimonies seem convincing.

If one gets EWTN, the Fatima movie they show is okay as well. I believe it is a more modern Portuguese version.

The feast of Our Lady of Fatima is October 13th, so it is approaching.
 
What was your reaction to the mud situation?
I thought it was another miracle that was definetly more proof of the validity of Fatima.An additional proof to confirm the miracle to confirm the events,if you will.
 
Most if not all of the witnesses would be dead now, the events of Fatima happened now almost 100 years ago.

1917: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_F%C3%A1tima

But I had the same questions, so to repeat myself, I read the book where a number of the witnesses were interviewed: amazon.com/Meet-Witnesses-John-M-Haffert/dp/1890137561/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top/181-2052467-9040605

The book was written in the years after World War II from what I remember. Their testimonies seem convincing.

If one gets EWTN, the Fatima movie they show is okay as well. I believe it is a more modern Portuguese version.

The feast of Our Lady of Fatima is October 13th, so it is approaching.
I still feel as one question is still left unanswered…

That is,why didn’t the people flee in panic hurting or even killing people when they thought it was the end of the world near the end of the miracle?
 
What I found most compelling about the Miracle of the Sun was testimony from the big city cosmopolitan journalists who were dispatched to Fatima from Lisbon, with the idea of debunking the “myth”–IOW, a bunch of enlightened, educated big shot city folk were going out to expose a bunch of hill-billy/rednecks for their tom foolery…

But what they actually witnessed and experienced, sent them back to Lisbon, signing an entirely different tune.

IMO, it was their secular ‘cred’, that has buttressed the ‘staying power’ of this Miracle.

The Lord indeed works in mysterious way…
 
I still feel as one question is still left unanswered…

That is,why didn’t the people flee in panic hurting or even killing people when they thought it was the end of the world near the end of the miracle?
They were probably a bit paralyzed; again, it seems there was a variation of hues and yes, at one point, the sun seemed to come down as if it was going to crash to earth.

I have thought before, too bad CNN didn’t exist back then.

Of course, the NY Times reported on it, I’ve seen the article.

As did the Portuguese paper, the Century or “O Seculo”, all of those things can be found on the web.
 
I have my own questions about it too.

It’s sort of hard to go into in full, I’ve seen it brought up before.

It’s the way the message comes out. So the children, Lucia, Francisco and Jacinta experienced this, Francisco and Jacinta passed away from the flu (Spanish Flu?) epidemic.

Lucia relates the message of Fatima, that Russia would spread her errors and so on. But when exactly did this come out? Not exactly in 1917 from what I can tell but a few years after. So the whole timing of the message I sometimes wonder about. OLF telling them, this war (World War I) would end soon but a greater one would come.

It actually takes a lot of research and there are a number of books out there.
 
You sure it lasted for a short time?

Every other article as well as other websites mention it lasted from a few minutes to up to ten minutes.

In fact,I have read that several interviews were done with people still alive today for a small documentary which show people saying ‘‘It wasn’t as friendly as you have been told!In fact,we all thought it was the end of the world,it was actually terrible!’’

So it still seems unanswered as to why they didn’t react and panic…
If I thought it was the end of the world why would I panic? No where to run to, no where to hide. I would pray.
 
I still feel as one question is still left unanswered…

That is,why didn’t the people flee in panic hurting or even killing people when they thought it was the end of the world near the end of the miracle?
Panicked running isn’t the only response to fear - often people freeze. In this case they had something to look at, too, so that would keep them from running. Also, the feeling that it was the end of the world may have been something they talked about later. Memories are notoriously unreliable.
 
I still feel as one question is still left unanswered…

That is,why didn’t the people flee in panic hurting or even killing people when they thought it was the end of the world near the end of the miracle?
Simply put, to a faithful Catholic the end of the world is not a bad thing to be feared, but rather a good thing to be embraced. If the world were ending, that would mean that Christ is returning and that the Kingdom of Heaven was about to be fully realized. That’s not something to fear, it’s something to rejoice over.

On a more practical level, I tend to think that movies get it wrong when depicting the end of the world. There will be small pockets where people panic, but the majority of the world is still deeply religious in one way or another, and all religions have a set of beliefs regarding the end of the world. Rather than widespread panic, I’d wager that if the end of the world were announced it would be met with a great deal of prayer, and long lines at the confessional. Those who believe -this- is all there is would probably panic or go nuts, but anyone who has a strong faith in the existence of an afterlife would likely great it calmly.
 
amazon.com/Meet-Witnesses-Miracle-John-Haffert/dp/1877905356/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411142660&sr=1-1&keywords=meet+the+witnesses+of+the+miracle+of+the+sun

“Meet the witnesses of the miracle of the sun”.

I just wanted to add in, this edition of the book I earlier posted can be purchased inexpensively used. The other earlier link was rather expensive so just saying, in case one is really interested. It always is good to see if there are other editions of the book.

Good reviews also: amazon.com/Meet-Witnesses-Miracle-John-Haffert/product-reviews/1877905356/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1
I loved hearing how the people who witnessed the miracle reacted and responded to it.
From one of the reviews:

If I witnessed the sun change colors and spin on its axis as is said and the falling towards the earth was during the last part of the miracle, I might be too awestruck to start running.

But from the way it is portrayed in the movie, I do believe some people did scream and panic but the sun fell and then, just as suddenly drew back up into the sky according to witnesses.
 
It seems that everybody is always talking about the great miracle of the sun and yes I surely think that a miracle took place. However does the number 13 facinate anybody as much as it does me in this wonderful event that took place. check this out.

Lucia, Jacinta and Franciso saw OUR LADY in a series of apparitions on the 13th of six consecutive months in a field called cova da iria near Fatima, Portugal.

The apparitions at the cova culminated with “the Great Secret” the virgin revealed to the children on July 13, 1917.

Lucia died on Feb. 13, 2005.

On May 13th 1981 on the anniversary of the very first apparition of Our Lady, pope John Paul II escaped death. (In which occured on the 13th of may in 1917).

Could all of these things happening on the 13th be signs that are connected to this miracle? Also didn’t our Lady warn Lucia that something would happen to a person that was of high authority of our Holy Catholic Church ahead of time? I think she did.
 
One of the reviews from the above posts mentions the reviews, I quote one of them:
I am lucky to have this book and cherish it,What Happen In Fatima in 1917 Just when The Bolsheviks came in and Destroyed Russia,Our Lady’s Message has stand the Test of time because it was and is True.Russia would suffer many years sadly and many other Countries.
The only thing I wonder about is Our Lady of Fatima is said to have said this in 1917, the Russian Revolution occurs in 1917 I believe. However, the apparition is not officially approved until about 1932. Too, things were different back then. I’m not sure about at what stage these words of the apparition got out to the general public. See, it’s great to say “OLF said this in 1917 about Russia and that the war would end soon” but we get these messages after these events occurred. Then, you also have the part that in spite of all 3 children being witnesses, Lucia is the only one who really survived some years and basically, we get all of the messages through her and no one else.

Also, apparently she had another vision while praying some years later in the Convent in Spain, 1942 I believe. A vision of Christ crucified and God the Father and the Holy Spirit appearing as well. Basically, it is this vision: christorchaos.com/images/visiontuy.jpg
 
It seems that everybody is always talking about the great miracle of the sun and yes I surely think that a miracle took place. However does the number 13 facinate anybody as much as it does me in this wonderful event that took place. check this out.

Lucia, Jacinta and Franciso saw OUR LADY in a series of apparitions on the 13th of six consecutive months in a field called cova da iria near Fatima, Portugal.

The apparitions at the cova culminated with “the Great Secret” the virgin revealed to the children on July 13, 1917.

Lucia died on Feb. 13, 2005.

On May 13th 1981 on the anniversary of the very first apparition of Our Lady, pope John Paul II escaped death. (In which occured on the 13th of may in 1917).

Could all of these things happening on the 13th be signs that are connected to this miracle? Also didn’t our Lady warn Lucia that something would happen to a person that was of high authority of our Holy Catholic Church ahead of time? I think she did.
Our Lady removes the superstition connected with certain numbers.
I’ve always felt that 13 was rather kind of a lucky number due to these apparitions.
Also, those people came there expecting and HOPING to see Our Lady or a miracle. Anything out of the ordinary would not immediately instill fear. They were hoping to see something extraordinary. And they did.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top