So I'm starting to really like the NRSV

  • Thread starter Thread starter rotlex
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bible Reader,

I made a typo and you are wrong . . .

I MEANT to reference the New Oxford Annotated Bible with Apocrypha Expanded Edition - RSV

Oxford has also published a 4th edition, but it is of the NRSV - not the RSV.

If an RSV translation published by Oxford relied on an NRSV translation published also by Oxford, I think that would defeat the point of having an RSV and an NRSV - would it not?

I own both of those as well, again, based on mccorm45’s bible blog information.

rotlex - sorry your thread was “hijacked” - that was not my intent.
Well…the name is "“Bible Reader”…NOT “Post Reader”! 😃
 
Hi, Rotlex.
I don’t own the Cambridge edition that you are referring to, but it sounds like a very attractive edition indeed!

I do own the Oxford 4th edition NRSV, however, but have only used it for reference so far, and it’ll probably remain that way.

I’m a Benedictine Oblate, and I have spent the past year using the Columba Press Benedictine Breviary, which uses the NRSV and Grail Psalms. The Grail Psalms are fine, and I’m used to them as we use them in the liturgy here in the UK, but the NRSV translations of the Benedictus and Magnificat, which I recite at Lauds and Vespers each day are awful, and I always pray them in Latin rather than use the translations provided in the Breviary.

I really would like to ‘get along’ with the NRSV, and after reading your post I may well give it another go, but I think it’ll be a tall order.

I’m really glad to hear that you’re enjoying your time immersed in the word of God, anyway, and really enjoyed reading your post.

I can almost smell that Moroccan leather…mmmmmm

Peace be with you.🙂
 
Llanbedr,

I own both the Cambridge and Oxford bibles mentioned in this thread, and the Cambridge is, in my humble opinion, the best mass-produced bible on the market in terms of binding and materials used.

To get better, one would have to pay substantially more and most likely resort to private binding.
 
Llanbedr,

I own both the Cambridge and Oxford bibles mentioned in this thread, and the Cambridge is, in my humble opinion, the best mass-produced bible on the market in terms of binding and materials used.

To get better, one would have to pay substantially more and most likely resort to private binding.
I would have to agree, after owning this Cambridge. While I own some very nice Bibles from other publishers, St. Benedict Press, Ignatius and even Oxford, I must say that they pale in comparison to the Cambridge. They truly do live up to their reputation! (The Oxford RSV-CE that I own is probably the closest in quality of workmanship, but it is still, at least IMHO, below the Cambridge).
 
I wish Cambridge would publish an NABRE or RSV-2CE version in their ‘reference edition’ in French morocco leather. Come on USCCB and Ignatius, make it happen!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top