So... What are you doing for your Lenten Devotion?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NotWorthy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
:irish3:
I was wondering, I do post some of my stronger opinions there (especially when it comes to Materialism, Relativism, and Liberalism). I am also a strong advocate for Distributism, and algae Biofuels on my blog. I am also hoping to start my website in the next couple of months.
Never be overly concerned about what those on random websites (which would include me) think of that which you have thoughtfully considered. Algae biofuels? Some of my energy buds here in DC are big “peak oil” people . . .

Best wishes and happy Lent. :irish3:
 
“Shrovetide” means “confession tide.” It comes from the word “shrive,” to absolve, to grant or receive absolution. When I was young (and the dinosaurs roamed the earth) it usually meant three days before Ash Wednesday, but back in the Middle Ages (somewhat before my youth 😉 ) it included the whole week before Lent. In the 9th century, Theodolphus, Bishop of Orleans, wrote “In the week immediately before Lent, everone shall go to his confessor and confess his deeds and the confessor shall so shrive him that he may then bear what (penance) he is to do.” Some religious communities (and me) begin the season on Shrove Thursday (Jeudi gras). Shrove days are feast days, not fast days . . .

Tomorrow, however, we fast . . .
Thanks for the information! 🙂

I wish I’d known that, a week ago. Oh, well. Next year! 🙂
 
:irish3:

Never be overly concerned about what those on random websites (which would include me) think of that which you have thoughtfully considered. Algae biofuels? Some of my energy buds here in DC are big “peak oil” people . . .

Best wishes and happy Lent. :irish3:
I am not one of those “peak oil” people and I will not go into detail here. But if you do a search on my name and “algae” on CAF, you will find a lot of my posts on the subject. There are also links on my blog.
 
I recently got a new job and have been working odd hours and have not found a time to devote to prayer. So for Lent I am going to redevote myself to morning and evening prayer and the daily rosary. I have noticed that I have been going out more that what I usually do, so I am limiting myself to going out 1x per week and spending time in adoration instead.

I actually am giving a talk to a youth group on Lent this Sunday and may use some of your devotions as examples.

May God bless you all on your journey these next 40 days!
 
Last year I began the devotion of saying at least 5 decades of Holy Rosary each day… a practice I still continue

This year I am planning on reading the NT
and
Stations each Friday
Read the NT again. I did that last year and was great. Takes 1-2 hours every day.
Glad to hear it was “doable and enjoyable” Leroy hope I obtain the same results

Pax Christi,
 
Last year I began the devotion of saying at least 5 decades of Holy Rosary each day… a practice I still continue

This year I am planning on reading the NT
and
Stations each Friday

Glad to hear it was “doable and enjoyable” Leroy hope I obtain the same results

Pax Christi,
If you are going to read the NT, I’d advise getting a good bible study to go with it. It will really help to fill out the meanings of what you are reading, which will only kindle the desire to tackle the Old Testament. Ignatius 2nd edition study bibles are a good investment for that.

Tim Gray also has a good series on the Gospel of John on MP3’s that you can download from EWTN.

He also does a fantastic one on the Gospel of Mark.
 
I’m going to go to Mass every weekday. Because we’re sharing a car, that means I have to take DH to work, so I’ll be giving up sleeping in, ever, also.

Giving up sweet goodies and mindless snacking.

Giving up rolling my eyes and the critical spirit that goes with that.

Waste less time.

Be more cheerful.

Make my confessions deeper and better. Take the priest’s advice.

Betsy
 
I pray my daily Rosary-that’s a given-so I’m going to add the Little Office of Our Lady for Lent.
 
OK, Let’s pretend that I’m an idiot and have no clue what you are talking about. 😉

Can you elaborate?
The LIttle Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a liturgical system of prayer patterned on the Divine Office, with Morning, Day, Evening, and Night Prayer, including Scripture readings, Psalms, and prayers and hymns from the Early Church Fathers. It runs on a one-week cycle. You can buy the guides at any reasonably traditional Catholic bookstore. This devotion is one of the requirements of the Brown Scapular, so any place that sells Brown Scapulars will also sell the Little Office.

I hope that helps you. 🙂
 
  1. I’m praying every day for priests, our nation’s leaders.
  2. At least one extra Mass every week
  3. Memorizing two prayers
  4. Taking my family to a Latin Mass
  5. Taking my family to a Byzantine Rite Divine Liturgy
May God bless you and keep you safe.

John.
 
I’ve tried giving up something for Lent in the past, but I always fail at it within the first couple of weeks. I’ve tried adding a devotion, but I’ve never been able to make that stick, either.

This year, I’m not doing either. In the past I always got so stressed-out about the do’s and don’t’s of the season that it became such a stressful time for me and I didn’t enjoy the season.

I know some will say that we’re not supposed to enjoy the season, or something like that. That it’s about sacrifice. However, it isn’t much worth the sacrifice if you can’t make it through or if it’s so stressful that you lose your focus.

M
 
I’m doing the Litany of Humility.
WOW, you are very brave. 🙂

I can’t do that one, yet. I am still far too attached to my earthly loves and comforts.

I knew of a guy who prayed that prayer, and the very next day it was answered. His wife threw him out of the house, he lost his job, and he was arrested for a crime he didn’t commit. He was in jail for five years, and is still homeless and without employment.
 
WOW, you are very brave. 🙂

I can’t do that one, yet. I am still far too attached to my earthly loves and comforts.

I knew of a guy who prayed that prayer, and the very next day it was answered. His wife threw him out of the house, he lost his job, and he was arrested for a crime he didn’t commit. He was in jail for five years, and is still homeless and without employment.
Wow - thats encouraging - thanks!
 
  1. Reading to my wife every night (I don’t enjoy it - she does - she has always ).😃
  2. Introducing a new nightly devotional habit with the family. 😉
  3. Giving more money away (to poor or less fortunate individuals we know). 👍
  4. Praying the sorrowful mysteries daily. :rolleyes:
  5. Something I can’t talk about.:eek:
And now, I need to go to confession for the sin of pride. 😊
 
i am attending a lenten group which our associate pastor is running and attending the stations of the cross with benediction
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top