So what is the difference between a potential and an actual human being?

• Thread starter Thread starter Abrosz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t see a flaw.
You don’t see a flaw in the fact that a block of marble will never turn itself into a statue but a fertilized egg will continue to grow without the mother even being aware of its existence?
If you want a different one then it’s like a small trickle of water which becomes a stream which becomes a river. It’s always water but a trickle of water is not the same as a river. There is no fixed point when one can say it’s changed from one to the other and we view them differently.
This analogy is also flawed. Each drop of water is a separate entity and those entities find each other and group together. A fertilized egg is one entity which grows on its own.

I’m not aware of any scientific position that classes a blastocyst as a person.
I doubt you’ll find any scientific classification of a human being (homo sapiens) as a “person”. That is not the realm of science, and is left to philosophy and law.
To say ‘it’s human’ is to say nothing more that the cells, the tissue…whatever is being referred to, is of human origin. Which is stating the bleedin’ obvious if I may.
But it’s bleedin’ obvious that science agrees that as the late stage human blastocyst begins the gastrulation process it does become a “distinct individual”. A unigue human being in the earliest stages of human existence as a member of humanity.

And the scientific existence of a human being occurs long before current law secures that human being’s legal identity as a person.
“Most definitely”? Such certitude must mean the criteria, the dividing line, is clear. What is it then? And when is the leap to human being made?
In medicine, we agree that we ultimately have a unique human being by the time gastrulation commences (day 15 post-conception) because the human epiblast (inner cell mass of the blastocyst) differentiates into the 3 primary germ cell layers that make up the embryo and the primitive streak is visible.

Like I’ve stated earlier, a medical professional is expected terminate the healthy pregnancy of a healthy woman with a healthy fetus upon a woman’s choice via elective abortion up to 24 weeks in the US.

That unique, human being growing naturally in his/her/they/it’s natural environment with a future prospect of personhood can be destroyed by doctors at the woman’s behest. And such destruction is perfectly ethical and legal.

Yet, ethical doctors in a lab are expected to destroy a human embryo in vitro by Day 14 or face scrutiny as an unethical researcher.

@Freddy

How is it fair and just (legally and ethically) to allow one set of medical professionals to destroy the human in utero, while expecting another set of medical professionals to destroy it in vitro by day 14, or maybe Day 28 in the near future?

The disconnect in the reasoning between the two situations is astounding. Location shouldn’t dictate one’s humanity.

First, do no harm.
Do good.

https://www.embopress.org/doi/full/10.15252/emmm.201809437

Last edited:
And the scientific existence of a human being occurs long before current law secures that human being’s legal identity as a person.
You’re conflating human with human being. The former is an adjective and the latter a noun. I’ve been making that distinction all along. And equating human being with person. And I don’t consider a blastocyst to be a person.

You don’t see a flaw in the fact that a block of marble will never turn itself into a statue but a fertilized egg will continue to grow without the mother even being aware of its existence?
This! 👍

40.png
Freddy:
Between what?
Having an abortion and taking a vitiman pill.
I don’t think there’d be as great a problem for woman to prevent the pregnancy happening a day after coitus than by ending it a few weeks later. But you need to ask a woman about that for an individual answer.

40.png
Freddy:
I don’t see a flaw.
You don’t see a flaw…
It’s an analogy, Emma. They’re not meant to correlate exactly. When Jaques says…

‘All the world’s a stage,
And all the men and women merely players’

…do you jump up and shout ‘hang on, there’s a flaw there!’

Last edited:
You’re conflating human with human being. The former is an adjective and the latter a noun. I’ve been making that distinction all along. And equating human being with person. And I don’t consider a blastocyst to be a person.
The term person is I think generally used to incorporate more than “human being“. Eg. Here is one definition but I tend to side with Mama that maybe “person” is a bit philosophical. Human being status is sufficient IMH to conclude killing is wrong.

“ A person (plural people or persons) is a being that has certain capacities or attributes such as reason, morality, consciousness or self-consciousness, and being a part of a culturally established form of social relations such as kinship, ownership of property, or legal responsibility.”. (Wikipedia)

40.png
Freddy:
It’s an analogy, Emma. They’re not meant to correlate exactly.
But Fred, when the analogy fails in what It is intended to explicate - in the key issue, well, that’s just a FAIL.
Something that gradually changes from one form to another is viewed differently throughout that process. That originally it has less value than when it is complete. That it becomes more valuable as the process continues.

Now was I talking about a pregnancy or someone sculpting a statue? If you can’t tell then the analogy is valid.

Something that gradually changes from one form to another is viewed differently throughout that process. That originally it has less value than when it is complete.
Really? “Completeness” is a measure of how you feel human life should be valued.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

The kid obviously is “incomplete” – can’t walk, talk, feed or clean itself, and mostly sleeps.

And great-great-great-great grandma is getting more “incomplete” each year.

Pitch both into the dustbin.

C’mon Fred, think at least a little bit before you post such drivel.

40.png
Freddy:
Something that gradually changes from one form to another is viewed differently throughout that process. That originally it has less value than when it is complete.
Really? “Completeness” is a measure of how you feel human life should be valued.
In the context of abortion, yes. A blastocyst is not the same as a newly born baby. And is treated differently. Why is this this so difficult to understand?

Last edited:
In the context of abortion, yes. A blastocyst is not the same as a newly born baby. And is treated differently. Why is this this so difficult to understand?
Oh, I understand how you feel. What is lacking is a rational argument that supports how you feel.

Please provide the principles that undergird your position. So far we have none; only your lack of feeling as sufficient permit to kill the unborn.

To wit:
If I cannot feel for the child then I may kill it.
If the child does not resemble me or a newly born then I may kill it (because I cannot feel for that child).

These persons also do not look like newly born babies. Which ones are OK with you to kill?
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) (Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

40.png
Rau:
40.png
Freddy:
But Fred, when the analogy fails in what It is intended to explicate - in the key issue, well, that’s just a FAIL.
Something that gradually changes from one form to another is viewed differently throughout that process. That originally it has less value than when it is complete. That it becomes more valuable as the process continues.
This is an incoherent argument, as it denies life as a continuum. As if a tree appears magically out of nowhere.
Any conservationist know that an acorn is necessary if you are to appreciate the tree. The tree presents a different representation of the reality, but without appreciating the acorn with the same value, your position on the value of a tree is meaningless.

Your reply will be that yes, this is all true but foresters manage the growth and harvest and conservation of trees, and you probably think that justifies the management of human beings at different stages. (“objectification”)
But here we see the inadequacy of the analogy, as humans beings have exceptional value as compared with trees, and the value of human existence outweighs your option to “manage it” at any stage.

Last edited:
A blastocyst is not the same as a newly born baby. And is treated differently. Why is this this so difficult to understand?
Because it doesn’t hold up to the simple question: is the blastocyst “human life” or not? In philosophical terms, does it have the form ‘human’? (Not the physical accidents, mind you – the form. Is it human life?)

That’s why the analogy doesn’t work particularly well. The post-conception being is human; the block of marble isn’t a statue.

Your analogy attempts to conflate “coming-into-being” with “having the accidents of a particular being”, and that’s why it’s being rejected around here. (OK… that, and the fact that “is it human life” is the typical Catholic standard. 😉 )

I don’t think there’d be as great a problem for woman to prevent the pregnancy happening a day after coitus than by ending it a few weeks later.
Yet you would have a problem with somebody else ending the pregnancy agsinst her will, but not giving her garlic against her will. Why is that?

Is the tumor a human life or not? If ONLY the DNA counts, then it is a “human life”. What about a seriously mutant set of DNA? If ONLY the DNA counts, then it is NOT a “human life”.
A blastocyst is a human organism. A tumor isn’t.

Is the tumor a human life or not? If ONLY the DNA counts, then it is a “human life”.
Poor analogy. You might better assert “is an arm a human life or not?” At least that example would illuminate what you’re trying to do here: conflate a part with the whole. A tumor is part of a body, just as an arm is a part of a body. The whole is human. An embryo – or any stage of human development – is a whole, and as such, is human.

40.png
Freddy:
40.png
Rau:
40.png
Freddy:
This is an incoherent argument, as it denies life as a continuum.
No. Just the opposite.

40.png
Freddy:
Oh, I understand how you feel. What is lacking is a rational argument that supports how you feel.

Please provide the principles that undergird your position. So far we have none; only your lack of feeling as sufficient permit to kill the unborn.

To wit:
If I cannot feel for the child then I may kill it.
If the child does not resemble me or a newly born then I may kill it (because I cannot feel for that child).

These persons also do not look like newly born babies. Which ones are OK with you to kill?
I’ve said time and time again that no-one would consider terminating a pregnancy a day before giving birth. So why ask such a question? I’m not sure you have been following the discussion.
40.png
Freddy:
A blastocyst is not the same as a newly born baby. And is treated differently. Why is this this so difficult to understand?
Because it doesn’t hold up to the simple question: is the blastocyst “human life” or not? In philosophical terms, does it have the form ‘human’? (Not the physical accidents, mind you – the form. Is it human life?)
Again, that has been discussed and agreed. Are you reading the thread or just jumping in at random posts?

Last edited:
40.png
Freddy:
I don’t think there’d be as great a problem for woman to prevent the pregnancy happening a day after coitus than by ending it a few weeks later.
Yet you would have a problem with somebody else ending the pregnancy agsinst her will, but not giving her garlic against her will. Why is that?
If you can’t differentiate between pregnancy and a spagetti bolognaise then I’m not sure our discussion will go anywhere from this point onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back