Some in U.S. voting with their feet

• Thread starter Thread starter Jeffrey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeffrey

WoW…according to the article…a whopping 18,000 want to move to Canada. LOL! Let’m…more room for the true Americans!!

By Rick Lyman The New York Times
Monday, February 7, 2005

[VANCOUVER, British Columbia](http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?key=VANCOUVER, British Columbia) Christopher Key knows exactly what he would be giving up if he left Bellingham, Washington.

“It’s the sort of place Norman Rockwell would paint, where everyone watches out for everyone else and we have block parties every year,” said Key, a 56-year-old Vietnam War veteran and former magazine editor who lists Francis Scott Key, who wrote “The Star-Spangled Banner,” among his ancestors.

But leave it he intends to do, and as soon as he can. His house is on the market, and he is busily seeking work across the border in Canada. For him, the re-election of George W. Bush was the last straw.

“I love the United States,” he said as he stood on the Vancouver waterfront, staring toward the Coastal Range, which was lost in a gray shroud. “I fought for it in Vietnam. It’s a wrenching decision to think about leaving. But America is turning into a country very different from the one I grew up believing in.”

In the Niagara of liberal angst just after Bush’s victory on Nov. 2, the Canadian government’s immigration Web site reported a surge in inquiries from the United States, to about 115,000 a day from 20,000.

After three months, memories of the election have begun to recede. There has been an inauguration, even a State of the Union address.

Yet immigration lawyers say that Americans are not just making inquiries and that more are pursuing a move above the 49th parallel, fed up with a country they see drifting persistently to the right and abandoning the principles of tolerance, compassion and peaceful idealism they felt once defined the nation.

America is in no danger of emptying out. But even a small loss of population, many from a deep sense of political despair, is a significant event in the life of a nation that thinks of itself as a place to escape to. Firm numbers on potential immigrants are elusive.

“The number of U.S. citizens who are actually submitting Canadian immigration papers and making concrete plans is about three or four times higher than normal,” said Linda Mark, an immigration lawyer in Vancouver.

Other immigration lawyers in Toronto, Montreal and Halifax, Nova Scotia, said they had noticed a similar uptick, though most put the rise at closer to threefold.

“We’re still not talking about a huge movement of people,” said David Cohen, an immigration lawyer in Montreal. “In 2003, the last year where full statistics are available, there were something like 6,000 U.S. citizens who received permanent resident status in Canada. So even if we do go up threefold this year, we’re only talking about 18,000 people.”

Still, that is more than double the population of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. “For every one who reacts to the Bush victory by moving to a new country, how many others are there still in America, feeling similarly disaffected but not quite willing to take such a drastic step?” Cohen asked.

Melanie Redman, 30, assistant director of the Epilepsy Foundation in Seattle, said she had put her Volvo up for sale and hopes to be living in Toronto by the summer. She and her Canadian boyfriend, a Web site designer for Canadian nonprofit companies, had been planning to move to New York, but after Nov.2, they decided on Canada instead.

“I’m doing it,” she said. “I don’t want to participate in what this administration is doing here and around the world. Under Bush, the U.S. seems to be leading the pack as the world spirals down.”

Redman intends to apply for a conjugal visa, which can be easier to get than the skilled worker visa that most Americans require. To do so, she must prove she and her boyfriend have had a relationship for at least a year, so she has collected supporting paperwork, like love letters, to present to the Canadian government.

“I’m originally from a poor, lead-mining town in Missouri, and I know a lot of the people there don’t understand why I’m doing this,” she said. “Even my family is pretty disappointed. And the fact is, it makes me pretty sad, too. But I just can’t bear to pay taxes in the United States right now.”

Compared with the other potential immigrants interviewed, Redman was far along in planning.

Many of those interviewed said the idea of moving to Canada had been simmering in the backs of their minds for years, partly as a reaction to what they saw as a rightward drift in the United States and partly as a desire to live in a place they see as more tolerant, pacific and, yes, liberal. But for all, the re-election of Bush was decisive.

Follow the link for more…

iht.com/bin/print_ipub.php?file=/articles/2005/02/06/news/refuge.html

I think they will miss home, but then if they are so upset then maybe the change will be good for them. I really can’t relate to them at all but I wish them the best. They might find out that things aren’t much better or they might find they like their new home. Either way, it will be their choice. That is what is good about our life here- we do have choices. It would be interesting to list their complaints now, and then talk to them in ten years and see what their complaints are. Some people are never happy.

Now if we could only get some politicians to follow them up there.

PF

IMO…I think its a case of the grass is always greener. They’ll more than likely be sorry IF they even actually move up there…
40.png
Fitz:
I think they will miss home, but then if they are so upset then maybe the change will be good for them. I really can’t relate to them at all but I wish them the best. They might find out that things aren’t much better or they might find they like their new home. Either way, it will be their choice. That is what is good about our life here- we do have choices. It would be interesting to list their complaints now, and then talk to them in ten years and see what their complaints are. Some people are never happy.

To put this in perspective, 18000 people are equal to the population of three towns in the county where I live. About 6 times the number who lost their lives on 9/11. Not an overwhelming loss to our Nation. What is troubling is the fact that they represent probably much less than 1 percent of our disenchanted citizens who are waiting it out till 2008.

40.png
WanderAimlessly:
Now if we could only get some politicians to follow them up there.

PF
Oh, PUH–LLEEZE :banghead:

If you keep yours, we won’t send you some of ours.

Maybe there’s an island somewhere we could send both yours and ours to? Bikini, or Eniwetok, perhaps?

Forgive me for being less than entusiastic about this, but your loss would not be our gain. We have problems of our own.

Blessings,

Gerry
Burnaby BC Canada

40.png
Jeffrey:
WoW…according to the article…a whopping 18,000 want to move to Canada. LOL! Let’m…more room for the true Americans!!
I figure anyone dim enough to want to live under Martin deserves what he gets! Talk about dim lights in chandeliers.

OTOH what these people say to a reporter in order to get their 15 minutes of fame and what they do is something else. I mean maybe they will go for a week to ski or a year to bum around - anyway one looks at it - it’s all about “choice”.

Here’s an article 😉 on the “refugee” situation.

Blessings,
Gerry

The Exodus

CANADA BUSY SENDING BACK BUSH-DODGERS

The flood of American liberals sneaking across the border into Canada has intensified in the past week, sparking calls for increased patrols to stop the illegal immigration.

The re-election of President Bush is prompting the exodus among left-leaning citizens who fear they’ll soon be required to hunt, pray, and agree with Bill O’Reilly.

Canadian border farmers say it’s not uncommon to see dozens of sociology professors, animal-rights activists and Unitarians crossing their fields at night.

“I went out to milk the cows the other day, and there was a Hollywood producer huddled in the barn,” said Manitoba farmer Red Greenfield, whose acreage borders North Dakota.

The producer was cold, exhausted and hungry.

“He asked me if I could spare a latte and some free-range chicken. When I said I didn’t have any, he left. Didn’t even get a chance to show him my screenplay, eh?”

In an effort to stop the illegal aliens, Greenfield erected higher fences, but the liberals scaled them. So he tried installing speakers that blare Rush Limbaugh across the fields.

“Not real effective,” he said. “The liberals still got through, and Rush annoyed the cows so much they wouldn’t give milk.”

Officials are particularly concerned about smugglers who meet liberals near the Canadian border, pack them into Volvo station wagons, drive them across the border and leave them to fend for themselves.

“A lot of these people are not prepared for rugged conditions,” an Ontario border patrolman said. “I found one carload without a drop of drinking water. They did have a nice little Napa Valley cabernet, though.”

When liberals are caught, they’re sent back across the border, often wailing loudly that they fear retribution from conservatives. Rumors have been circulating about the Bush administration establishing re-education camps in which liberals will be forced to drink domestic beer and watch NASCAR.

In the days since the election, liberals have turned to sometimes-ingenious ways of crossing the border. Some have taken to posing as senior citizens on bus trips to buy cheap Canadian prescription drugs. After catching a half-dozen young vegans disguised in powdered wigs, Canadian immigration authorities began stopping buses and quizzing the supposed senior-citizen passengers on Perry Como and Rosemary Clooney hits to prove they were alive in the '50s.

“If they can’t identify the accordion player on The Lawrence Welk Show, we get suspicious about their age,” an official said.

Canadian citizens have complained that the illegal immigrants are creating an organic-broccoli shortage and renting all the good Susan Sarandon movies.

“I feel sorry for American liberals, but the Canadian economy just can’t support them,” an Ottawa resident said. “How many art-history majors does one country need?”

In an effort to ease tensions between the United States and Canada, Vice President Dick Cheney met with the Canadian ambassador and pledged that the administration would take steps to reassure liberals, a source close to Cheney said.

“We’re going to have some Peter, Paul & Mary concerts. And we might put some endangered species on postage stamps. The president is determined to reach out,” he said.

40.png
rwoehmke:
To put this in perspective, 18000 people are equal to the population of three towns in the county where I live. About 6 times the number who lost their lives on 9/11. Not an overwhelming loss to our Nation. What is troubling is the fact that they represent probably much less than 1 percent of our disenchanted citizens who are waiting it out till 2008.
Count me among the disenchanted who are waiting out 2008. I will not be driven out by GWB, in my mind that would be conceding. I am a fighter.

LOL! :rotfl:
Gerry Hunter:

Blessings,
Gerry

The Exodus

The flood of American liberals sneaking across the border into Canada has intensified in the past week, sparking calls for increased patrols to stop the illegal immigration.

The re-election of President Bush is prompting the exodus among left-leaning citizens who fear they’ll soon be required to hunt, pray, and agree with Bill O’Reilly.

Canadian border farmers say it’s not uncommon to see dozens of sociology professors, animal-rights activists and Unitarians crossing their fields at night.

“I went out to milk the cows the other day, and there was a Hollywood producer huddled in the barn,” said Manitoba farmer Red Greenfield, whose acreage borders North Dakota.

The producer was cold, exhausted and hungry.

“He asked me if I could spare a latte and some free-range chicken. When I said I didn’t have any, he left. Didn’t even get a chance to show him my screenplay, eh?”

In an effort to stop the illegal aliens, Greenfield erected higher fences, but the liberals scaled them. So he tried installing speakers that blare Rush Limbaugh across the fields.

“Not real effective,” he said. “The liberals still got through, and Rush annoyed the cows so much they wouldn’t give milk.”

Officials are particularly concerned about smugglers who meet liberals near the Canadian border, pack them into Volvo station wagons, drive them across the border and leave them to fend for themselves.

“A lot of these people are not prepared for rugged conditions,” an Ontario border patrolman said. “I found one carload without a drop of drinking water. They did have a nice little Napa Valley cabernet, though.”

When liberals are caught, they’re sent back across the border, often wailing loudly that they fear retribution from conservatives. Rumors have been circulating about the Bush administration establishing re-education camps in which liberals will be forced to drink domestic beer and watch NASCAR.

In the days since the election, liberals have turned to sometimes-ingenious ways of crossing the border. Some have taken to posing as senior citizens on bus trips to buy cheap Canadian prescription drugs. After catching a half-dozen young vegans disguised in powdered wigs, Canadian immigration authorities began stopping buses and quizzing the supposed senior-citizen passengers on Perry Como and Rosemary Clooney hits to prove they were alive in the '50s.

“If they can’t identify the accordion player on The Lawrence Welk Show, we get suspicious about their age,” an official said.

Canadian citizens have complained that the illegal immigrants are creating an organic-broccoli shortage and renting all the good Susan Sarandon movies.

“I feel sorry for American liberals, but the Canadian economy just can’t support them,” an Ottawa resident said. “How many art-history majors does one country need?”

In an effort to ease tensions between the United States and Canada, Vice President Dick Cheney met with the Canadian ambassador and pledged that the administration would take steps to reassure liberals, a source close to Cheney said.

“We’re going to have some Peter, Paul & Mary concerts. And we might put some endangered species on postage stamps. The president is determined to reach out,” he said.

Ge rry Hunter:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

👋

+veritas+

40.png
Mac6yver:
Count me among the disenchanted who are waiting out 2008. I will not be driven out by GWB, in my mind that would be conceding. I am a fighter.
Not to worry. Given the possible candidates, the winner in 2008, whether Democrat or Republican will be close to the center. The Shi’ite Evangelicals won’t win again, and the far left won’t succeed either. IMO.

40.png
Richardols:
Not to worry. Given the possible candidates, the winner in 2008, whether Democrat or Republican will be close to the center. The Shi’ite Evangelicals won’t win again, and the far left won’t succeed either. IMO.
By far left you mean folks like Kerry and Hilary.

40.png
fix:
By far left you mean folks like Kerry and Hilary.
No, they’re left-wing, but not far left. I’m a liberal, but don’t want Hillary to run. She won’t win.

By far right, I mean the Shi’ite Evangelicals who won in 2004. They won’t have a candidate in '08, but more moderate Republicans will. I want the Dems to win in '08 with a moderate candidate, but a Republican like McCain or Giuliani would be okay.

Greeeeeeeat!!! Let us all know when you’ve figured out what exactly it is your fighting against and enlighten us.
40.png
Mac6yver:

Could you please educate us “unenlightened” conservatives what exactly a “Shi’ite Evangelical” is so I can avoid them, if necessary. Sounds like it could be Grand Mufti Ayatollah al’Creflo Dollar.
40.png
Richardols:
No, they’re left-wing, but not far left. I’m a liberal, but don’t want Hillary to run. She won’t win.

By far right, I mean the Shi’ite Evangelicals who won in 2004. They won’t have a candidate in '08, but more moderate Republicans will. I want the Dems to win in '08 with a moderate candidate, but a Republican like McCain or Giuliani would be okay.

40.png
Richardols:

Kerry, with his voting record, was voted the most liberal senator in the senate, by several left-leaning thinktank publications. How is that not “far” left?? Do you mean he is moderate in comparison to Kucinich or Nader?? Well, duh. But in the real world of electable candidates, wasn’t he the most liberal national candidate ever?? Ok, besides McGovern (pretty darn close though)??

How do you rate these Democrats in the left-wing spectrum:

Dean
Kerry
Leiberman
Boxer
Kennedy
Hillary
Edwards

Order them, in your opinion, from most left, to moderate left.

Even though I am one of those nasty Shi’ite Fundamentalist conservative Catholics, I can do this one.

Kerry - Edwards - Boxer - Dean - Clinton | Edwards - Liebermann - Center of Political Spectrum.
<------- Lost in Space ------> More in tune with most normal human beings.
40.png
jlw:
Kerry, with his voting record, was voted the most liberal senator in the senate, by several left-leaning thinktank publications. How is that not “far” left?? Do you mean he is moderate in comparison to Kucinich or Nader?? Well, duh. But in the real world of electable candidates, wasn’t he the most liberal national candidate ever?? Ok, besides McGovern (pretty darn close though)??

How do you rate these Democrats in the left-wing spectrum:

Dean
Kerry
Leiberman
Boxer
Kennedy
Hillary
Edwards

Order them, in your opinion, from most left, to moderate left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back