Some new contemporary church songs you hate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicZ09
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicZ09

Guest
“Gather Us In” by Marty Haugen - That song makes my skin crawl.
“Let Us Go to the Altar of God” by Dan Schutte
“Thanks Be to God” by Stephen Dean
“On This Day” by Ricky Manalo
“All Good Gifts” by Kevin Keil
“Save Us, O Lord” by Bob Dufford, SJ
“Save Your People” by Jim Farrell
“In These Days of Lenten Journey” by Ricky Manalo
“Now Is The Acceptable Time” by Barbara Bridge
“Beyond the Days” by Ricky Manalo
 
If I never ever EVER hear “Here I Am, Lord” again it will be too soon.

Gather Us In - AGGGGHHHH

On Eagle’s Wings is pretty for a concert, not for Mass.
 
I am not willing to use the word “hate” as it seems a little argumentative for something that some here may hold dear. However, I do not like the song “Sing a New Church”. Besides the fact that the verb and the noun are nonsensical when placed together, it uses a tune that is quite beautiful and replaces a great hymn with lyrics that make no sense. Finally, there is not a new Church that I care to be a member of. I prefer the Church establised by Christ, thank you.
 
If I never ever EVER hear “Here I Am, Lord” again it will be too soon.

Gather Us In - AGGGGHHHH

On Eagle’s Wings is pretty for a concert, not for Mass.
Awww, I really like “Here I am, Lord”. I’m tired of “City of God”…it gets played as the recessional ALL.THE.TIME.
 
I’m not personally a big fan of Gather Us In, but there are very few songs I actually dislike. My old parish at home was raising money for a new church, and so they decided that for the next year the entrance hymn would always be “Building the City of God”, with the exception of Advent and Lent. So…I guess I got to hate that song.

On the whole, though, I think I have a mostly positive impression of church hymns.
 
Any song can be wearisome if overdone. I use the procrastination method to spread music out. I remove the music from the looseleaf binder for the week and place the previous weeks music in a pile. Then I deliberately and consciously plan to file it, but always find something else to do before I get around to it. The next week, I do the same thing, adding to the pile that I intend to file as soon as I get around to it. When I run out of music to choose, I finally breakdown and refile everything back into the binder and start over.

What I really need is a list to track the frequency of songs I use. I plan on making such a list as soon as I get around to it.
 
If I never ever EVER hear “Here I Am, Lord” again it will be too soon.

Gather Us In - AGGGGHHHH

On Eagle’s Wings is pretty for a concert, not for Mass.
I could give or take “Gather Us In.” Rather like “Here I Am Lord,” though.

Used to like “On Eagles Wings” until I heard it at a funeral; now I can’t stand it; however that’s just me:shrug:

Other than that one instance I am ok with the hymnology. ICXC NIKA
 
“Whatsoever you do”. I don’t know who wrote it, but I wouldn’t admit it. 😛
 
I recall a number of years ago in a Lutheran church we sang “Sing to the Lord a new song” or something similar to that title. I don’t remember the whole song, but I was amused by the verse:

…Clasrooms and labs
loud boiling test tubes
Sing to the Lord a new song…
 
I don’t like this baptism song

“you have put on Christ,
you have been baptized,
ALLELUIA, ALLELUIA.”

It has no real tune. also there is a foot washing song that is just terrible.
 
Here are mine:

Pescador de Hombres/Lord, You Have Come to the Seashore
Gather Us In
Anything by the St. Louis Jesuits
Anything by Bernadette Ferrel
Anything by Bob Hurd
We Remember
I, Myself, am the Bread of Life
Just about everything in Spirit and Song
Lord of the Dance
Hail Mary/Gentle Woman
They’ll Know We are Christians
Hosea
The King of Glory
Seek, Ye First
Most of the OCP catalogue
Song of the Body of Christ
 
I recall a number of years ago in a Lutheran church we sang “Sing to the Lord a new song” or something similar to that title. I don’t remember the whole song, but I was amused by the verse:

…Clasrooms and labs
loud boiling test tubes
Sing to the Lord a new song…
That’s called “Earth and All Stars,” and it’s in the Episcopal hymnal, too. I just love it, because of the way our organist does it. On the verse about construction things, he bangs on the keyboard with his whole forearm, and on the “He has done marvellous things” part, he does a glissando all the way up and down the keyboard. It’s wonderful. However, I have a friend who does not like this hymn, and she says she’s always waiting for the verse about “loud flushing toilets!”

We only do it once a year, though, so no one gets tired of it.

Betsy
 
Kub Ba Yah was written in the 1930s–that’s new?

The copyright date for Gather Us In is 1982–new?

I love this thread! It’s making me feel so YOUNG!
 
Kub Ba Yah was written in the 1930s–that’s new?

The copyright date for Gather Us In is 1982–new?

I love this thread! It’s making me feel so YOUNG!
Did you note the built in bias in the OP? No posting of classics, chants or polyphony one hates here!
 
That’s called “Earth and All Stars,” and it’s in the Episcopal hymnal, too. I just love it, because of the way our organist does it. On the verse about construction things, he bangs on the keyboard with his whole forearm, and on the “He has done marvellous things” part, he does a glissando all the way up and down the keyboard. It’s wonderful. However, I have a friend who does not like this hymn, and she says she’s always waiting for the verse about “loud flushing toilets!”

We only do it once a year, though, so no one gets tired of it.

Betsy
Yes! That’s the one.

“He has done mar-ar-ar-ar-vo-lus things…”

We used to make up some…verses…for it while we were in college. 😊 Can’t repeat them here. 😉

I have since repented. 🙂
 
What’s wrong with Lord, You Have Come to the Seashore? I rather like that one. Same goes for The King of Glory; I like that one (as long as its used sparingly).
 
I rather like “Lord, You Have Come.” I also like “Blest Are They” by David Haas. Really nice tune.

I remember singing “The King of Glory” in Advent. It’s one of those folksy late sixties songs. I like it. However, it can be played/sung too fast.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top