Some new contemporary church songs you hate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicZ09
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kub Ba Yah was written in the 1930s–that’s new?

The copyright date for Gather Us In is 1982–new?

I love this thread! It’s making me feel so YOUNG!
Maybe so, but it is about the worst song ever to be sung in a church. period.
 
“Hate” is rather too strong of a word for it, but I choose not to sing along with the many contemporary songs that are sung with the voice of God. (That is, we sing God’s words in the first person, as if it were us talking. Like “Be not afraid; I go before you always.” Oh, really? Who are you to be going before me?) 😛
 
“Hate” is rather too strong of a word for it, but I choose not to sing along with the many contemporary songs that are sung with the voice of God. (That is, we sing God’s words in the first person, as if it were us talking. Like “Be not afraid; I go before you always.” Oh, really? Who are you to be going before me?) 😛
I know good and darn well that I’m not God. I’m only remembering the promises that He has made. Use your imagination.

Pope John Paul II echoed this when he said, “Be not afraid.” Whenever we sing this song, I think of him.
 
How about…

Day by Day
Wind Beneath My Wings
Brother Sun Sister Moon by Donovan

Hey… these are not supposed to be sung at Mass!!!:confused: Ok you got me… I dislike…

Sons of God
They Will Know We Are Christians
Brother Sun Sister Moon by Donovan:eek:

In Christ:rolleyes:
albertziggy
 
I "HATE " (too mild of a word) anything by Steve Angrisano, especially “Go Make A Difference”.
 
As a Fire is Meant For Burning

hands down the worst lyric ever, “not to preach our creeds or customs” Oh really? I’m so glad the apostles didn’t feel that way.

I wish there was an emoticon for group hug.

It should be banned, banned, banned. In fact, any song book that has this song in it should be burned. I think it is blasphemous and should be left for the hippie campfire.
 
I really dislike the “Lord of the Dance” song. I don’t know who wrote it or when. I don’t care, either. That is one of the rare few that literally makes me cringe when they play it!
 
Maybe so, but it is about the worst song ever to be sung in a church. period.
Are you talking about Gather Us In?

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, and I assume your sweeping statement above is YOUR opinion, although you have phrased it as a statement of fact rather than opinion.

I absolutely love this song, both words and melody. That’s MY opinion, and my opinion is just as legitimate as everyone else’s.

The first time I ever heard Gather Us In (I was Protestant at the time, visiting a Catholic Mass for the first time), I found a napkin in my purse and copied all the words out of the hymnal so that I could read them and be encouraged during the week. I kept that napkin for several weeks because I loved the poem so much. The concept of God “gathering in His people” was wonderful to me. I was used to doing al the work myself to help fulfill the Great Commission and gather in sheaves for the kingdom. The idea that GOD does it was very restful to me.

I find the melody lilting and somewhat Celtic. Some people talk about a song called “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” Well, many people, myself included, don’t know that song. After I kept hearing people talk about it here on CAF, I listened to it. I suppose there’s some similiarity. But I never would have realized it if I hadn’t listened to Edmund Fitzgerald.

Finally, our great bishop, Thomas Doran, uses Gather Us In (a sweeping orchestral arrangement) as the theme music for his weekly radio show. It it’s good enough for our apostle, it’s good enough for me.
 
I don’t know how contemporary it is, but “Sing of the Lord’s Goodness” by Ernest Sands always makes me cringe when it comes on. It always makes me think of “Take Five” by Dave Brubeck. The fact that they are both in 5/4 doesn’t help.

Otherwise, pretty much anything by Bob Hurd, Marty Haugen, Davis Haas, etc…

When I go to Mass, I want to hear something that doesn’t sound like a John Denver, or a Carpenters song. This stuff sounds so incredibly dated, and most of it is less than 40 years old.

Now, when you take into consideration the songs that were hundreds of years old that these new ones replaced, it’s enough to make you ill.

I wish I could go to a church on a Marian feast day and hear “O Sanctissima” instead of “Hail Mary/Gentle Woman”.

Ugh.
 
“Come let us Build”.
Our parish used this for fund-raising.
We sang it EVERY Sunday, usually as the recessional.
The tune is too close to “One Tin Soldier” !!

I also feel that we should be singing praise to God. Songs about ourselves don’t belong in Mass. (Come Let Us Build, City of God, Gather Us In, …)
 
It so funny how some people in this thread like to take the position of dissent. I guess there will always be people who agree to disagree all the time.

albertziggy:rolleyes:
 
I really dislike the “Lord of the Dance” song. I don’t know who wrote it or when. I don’t care, either. That is one of the rare few that literally makes me cringe when they play it!
I know you don’t care, 😉 but I believe I read that it is a Quaker song actually…🤷 My problem is that whenever I hear it, I picture Michael Flatley dancing around with the Irish step dancers! It’s fine there, but for mass? No!
 
I generally like the newer songs, but one of the cantors at our church insists on singing Come to the Water every chance he gets. I can’t think of a more maudlin song! But a lot of people I know get weepy whenever they hear it. I just bury my head and try not to think bad thoughts
 
I wish I could go to a church on a Marian feast day and hear “O Sanctissima” instead of “Hail Mary/Gentle Woman”.
I use both on most Marian holidays and even at other time.
:grouphug:

:grouphug:

There you go. It’s under “solace” after you click More smilies.

Betsy
If you want a group hug, give me some time and I will write a hymn about it that we can all use in Mass. Maybe I’ll call it "Sing a Group Hug into Being"
Lord of the Dance is one of my favorites! Aww, man…
You can’t post that here. [edited] Niceties are not allowed.
 
Are you talking about Gather Us In?

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion, and I assume your sweeping statement above is YOUR opinion, although you have phrased it as a statement of fact rather than opinion.

I absolutely love this song, both words and melody. That’s MY opinion, and my opinion is just as legitimate as everyone else’s.

The first time I ever heard Gather Us In (I was Protestant at the time, visiting a Catholic Mass for the first time), I found a napkin in my purse and copied all the words out of the hymnal so that I could read them and be encouraged during the week. I kept that napkin for several weeks because I loved the poem so much. The concept of God “gathering in His people” was wonderful to me. I was used to doing al the work myself to help fulfill the Great Commission and gather in sheaves for the kingdom. The idea that GOD does it was very restful to me.

I find the melody lilting and somewhat Celtic. Some people talk about a song called “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.” Well, many people, myself included, don’t know that song. After I kept hearing people talk about it here on CAF, I listened to it. I suppose there’s some similiarity. But I never would have realized it if I hadn’t listened to Edmund Fitzgerald.

Finally, our great bishop, Thomas Doran, uses Gather Us In (a sweeping orchestral arrangement) as the theme music for his weekly radio show. It it’s good enough for our apostle, it’s good enough for me.
The huge problem with Gather Us In, aside from the fact that the author is not Catholic, is the fact that it presents a very Protestant understanding of what the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is.

The song is centered around “us” and has very little to do with God. Haugen is focused on the here and now and downplays the notion of some “heaven light years away”. Obviously, because he is Protestant, Marty Haugen is not going to understand a lot of the tenents of the Catholic Faith. However, “Gather Us In” is the antithesis of everything the Mass is about and it shows a complete ignorance of why we gather in the first place.

The Mass is not about us. The warm living bodies in the pews are not the only ones who make up the faithful at the Mass. At every Mass, if you were to pay attention to the preface, we are joined by the entire Church, the saints and angels in heaven, the Church Militant (here on earth) and the souls in Purgatory (the Church suffering).

The lyrics don’t capture that at all. In fact, they downplay the entire notion of what the Mass is and what the Church is.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top