Spanking may be linked to later mental disorders

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gift_from_God
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things:
One, it bothers me to no end that the simple mention of a rod used thousands of years ago in a harsh, harsh time before child psychology (as a guidepost, take for instance that rape of children under three was legal and not considered harmful in any way, seeing as the hymen would regrow and not damage her chances for marriage)… that this mention of the kind of primitive discipline used would still be used to excuse what we know to be ineffective and damaging today…
It is not as crazy as comparing spanking to rape! I guess you know this "arguement is a classic example of begging the question. You appeal to “common knowledge” which happens to be the point you make.
If there is even a shadow of a doubt that spanking might be damaging emotionally, psychologically, and or socially… isn’t it our responsibility as parents to shield our children from that possible (grave) risk, as much as we possibly can?
Now this error is also glaringly obvious. Namely, the converse can be said to be true. If there is a shadow of a doubt that not spanking a child can cause them to be spoiled,… etc.
Why do we defend our “right” to spank?
This is an easy question.to answer. As the parent, I am the one God hwas designated to raise a particular child.
Why not try and learn kind, gentle, and patient ways of instilling self discipline, of “bringing them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord”
Now for the third logical fallacy, we have the classic false dichotomy. One can use corporal punishment and still be kind, gentle and patient, bringing a child up in the discipline and intstruction of the Lord.

Patience, kindness and gentleness must at times give way to punishment, whether one spanks or not. Spanking is not more an indicator that these qualities are absent that grounding or time out is an indication the parent has lost these attributes.
 
Two things:
One, it bothers me to no end that the simple mention of a rod used thousands of years ago in a harsh, harsh time before child psychology (as a guidepost, take for instance that rape of children under three was legal and not considered harmful in any way, seeing as the hymen would regrow and not damage her chances for marriage)… that this mention of the kind of primitive discipline used would still be used to excuse what we know to be ineffective and damaging today…
I would suggest that since you find parallels with spanking and child rape, that you should not spank your children. Leave that form of correction to people who do know the difference.
Two, parents bear the responsibility to set their child up for success- to help them WANT and FEEL ABLE and BE ABLE TO meet their expectations. MANY, MANY parents have unrealistic expectations, development wise. Many parents do not communicate their expectations clearly. No parent can read their child’s mind… to assume the worst possible motivation for an action is uncharitable. As a rule, we should assume the best possible motivation CONSISTENT WITH THE FACTS. Unless you have already exasperated your children to the point that they have lost heart, they probably want very much to please you and to have a loving and respectful relationship with you. Now why did you need to spank again?
I spanked my two boys…one was valedictorian and goes to a top 5 college, the other is a senior in high school ranked 7 out of 450 students. Both are also top athletes.
If there is even a shadow of a doubt that spanking might be damaging emotionally, psychologically, and or socially… isn’t it our responsibility as parents to shield our children from that possible (grave) risk, as much as we possibly can? Why do we defend our “right” to spank? Why not try and learn kind, gentle, and patient ways of instilling self discipline, of “bringing them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord”
Both are also well adjusted and have lots of friends. Neither get into trouble.

I suggest you don’t spank, and leave the rest of us alone.
 
I was spanked as a small child, but so seldom, I can actually remember the incidents. My parents used spanking as a last resort. We usually didn’t need it, the look was enough to keep you in line. But when we did get a swat or two it was to make a firm impression on us, and for the reason of actually protecting us from danger. I remember getting a few swats after I ran out in front of a car on my bike at about 5 yrs.old. The car missed me by about 2 ". Never forgot to look both ways again!..EVER!! To clarify…I got a few swats…not a beating…but was impressed by it BIG TIME.

Same way I handled my own kids…only if something they’re doing is detrimental to their well being, and they are old enough to know better. Did the trick for mine too, and I can count on one hand the number of times we “spanked”. Spanking doesn’t give anyone the right to take out anger or aggression on a child, but put in proper perspective it is a very valuable tool.

Mental disorders?..BALONEY!!
 
Do you really think a three year old gets that? The “do as I say, not as I do???”
I wouldn’t use those exact words. However, I do use that concept–you are going to do as I say. Period. End of story.
Because I would think that would fall into the same category as trying to explain to a three year old why they shouldn’t have run into the street.
I wouldn’t try to explain to a three year old why the shouldn’t run into the street.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top