=soccergirl;7088996]My friend, who isn’t catholic, goes to a church where they speak in tongues. She says that she has the gift to speak in tongues. I asked her what happens when she did that, and she said that when she is speaking in tongues she is communicating with the Holy Spirit in a language that only the Holy Spirit and her know. I asked what they are communicating to each other, and this is the part where she couldn’t really explain to me what was happening because it seems like the Holy Spirit doesn’t really tell her anything it’s more like a feeling. Personally, it seems like people are just blurting noises out of their mouths without thinking about what they are doing. I thought speaking in tongues was a miracle that meant people of many different languages could understand you. I don’t know what the Catholic Church thinks about this. Could someone explain it to me?
**1Cor.12: 10 **"to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues…**28] **And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various kinds of tongues.
30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
1Cor.14- 50 Now I want [desire] you all to speak in tongues, **but even more to prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than he who speaks in tongues, unless some one interprets, so that the church may be edified. ** [6] Now, brethren, if I come to you speaking in tongues, how shall I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching? 18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than you all;[22]
Thus, tongues are a sign not for believers but for unbelievers, while prophecy is not for unbelievers but for believers. [23] If, therefore, the whole church assembles and all speak in tongues, and outsiders or unbelievers enter, will they not say that you are mad? [39] **So, my brethren, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues; **
Tongues is a gift from God an like all gits is to be used for he building up of the Church.
READ 1 Cor. Chapter 12 for a fuller understanding of Gifts.