I’m spiritual, but not
religulous.
Thank you. I’ve never heard of it before. I just might have to check it out.
Could you elaborate or explain that a bit Alan? ,its late here ,my mind is in shut down
I don’t know if this is a “theologically accurate” use of the two terms, but I’ll tell you what they mean to me. If I’m using the terms wrong, I still think the concept applies.
I see somebody who is “spiritual” as somebody who is progressing along the spiritual journey. While that’s rather vague, to me it means that the person is seeking transformation by the Holy Spirit, (even if they don’t believe in the Holy Spirit we believe He is the one doing the transforming) and is doing things that are likely to bring that about. Spiritual people are a comfort to those around them, no matter their denomination of dogmatic beliefs. They will experience the fruit of the Spirit, and become increasingly happy and content with their lives, and more loving, tolerant, and especially forgiving of those who think, speak, or act in a way contrary to the Golden Rule. These people may have their own versions of prayer, whether it be formal prayer in a Church or gazing into the sunset letting their minds wander. Like the Good Samaritan, these people are ready to roll up their sleeves and offer help to a person in need.
As far as somebody who is “religious,” I see that as a person who studies theology, follows the precepts of the Church (or the rules of whatever non-Catholic denomination they associate with) and typically lives a righteous life. If they are “very religious” they go beyond the rules as far as prayer, participation in daily Mass, or do other noble things. They may or may not exhibit the characteristics I’ve described for a “spiritual” person, and they may or may not be ready and able to accept the gifts of peace, joy, and all the other gifts from God that Jesus came to enable us to receive. They tend to obey (or “cling to,” depending on the individual and the situation) the rules of their stated religion, but if they do not have true peace they may actually live in fear and paranoia, and might even be susceptible to superstition. Some of them have problems with arrogance, condescending behavior, or divisive thinking, and in some cases they honestly can’t see that even when it is brought to their attention.
Those who are both religious and spiritual are undoubtedly and greatly blessed, and are a blessing to others. They ooze with loving kindness and compassion. But if they have not love, their religion ultimately means nothing. A spiritual person IMO has love, while a religious person may have love also.
1 Cor 13:
1 If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal.
2 And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing.
3 If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, [love] is not pompous, it is not inflated,
5 it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,
6 it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.
7 It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8 Love never fails. If there are prophecies, they will be brought to nothing; if tongues, they will cease; if knowledge, it will be brought to nothing.
9 For we know partially and we prophesy partially,
10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away.
11 When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things.
12 At present we see indistinctly, as in a mirror, but then face to face. At present I know partially; then I shall know fully, as I am fully known.
13 So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
That’s my first shot at it. Does that make any sense?
Peace and joy,
Alan