B
backtocatholic
Guest
Hi there.
When is spiritual pride a mortal sin.
Thanks
When is spiritual pride a mortal sin.
Thanks
When we find ourself looking with pride at our works, self-denial, penance, etc and think that we are any more than just sinners!Hi there.
When is spiritual pride a mortal sin.
Thanks
For a Christian who is seeking to follow Christ and live his faith - Pride is rather often of the venial sort. Though to be fought against…Hi there.
When is spiritual pride a mortal sin.
Thanks
Hum…you mean if one thinks “I pray the rosary everyday and read scripture for half an hour…that is better than Jack’s praying only a decade and reading scripture only on occasion”That’s a relief.
However, the type of spiritual pride that I thought would be a mortal sin would be looking down on others who are not as "catholic"as you are, and considering yourself to be much better spiritually than you really are.
I am also concerned that pride when it relates to spirituality would be more serious than general pride.
Or if I say thought “I am so spiritual I do not need the Church”… now that would seem rather grave…Hum…you mean if one thinks “I pray the rosary everyday and read scripture for half an hour…that is better than Jack’s praying only a decade and reading scripture only on occasion”
Or you think that yourself better spiritually than you are…
Even though it is “spiritual” - I would not say it is grave matter.
Your confessor can guide you - bring up the particular question with him.
Now if you looked down at the person with say contempt… that would be another story…
Just remember where you came from. You weren’t always as good of a Catholic or Christian as you are today (that is the nature of discipleship). Show the sinner love and counsel if he is willing to accept.That’s a relief.
However, the type of spiritual pride that I thought would be a mortal sin would be looking down on others who are not as "catholic"as you are, and considering yourself to be much better spiritually than you really are.
I am also concerned that pride when it relates to spirituality would be more serious than general pride.
I guess yours was inferiority complex. I also experienced that sort of being under more spiritual people, but I realized that I should gain more profit from them by asking for their guidance. I developed spiritual pride at the peak of my ministry and successes ( I did wish for Jesus to humiliate or rather humilify me (humiliate to humble me down) and He did. It was very painful…but it revealed alot of things about me and my weaknesses.I think it can be like this. People always seem to think that in order to reduce someone’s spiritual pride they have to put them down in some way and spell it out to them that they’re not as good as they think they are etc. But that might not be the best way to do it.
God provides examples Himself. In my life, I have met people (some not catholic, but in communion with the church) who I consider to be very devout and holy - and I feel inferior spiritually in comparison. They are much kinder, considerate and loyal to the teachings of the church in every way eg. they fast religiously (much more than what is required in the catholic faith) and do other things. I find myself objectively acknowledging their holiness and virtue, and at no painful cost to myself. In fact it is delightful to realise there are such people.
From St John of the Cross:That’s a relief.
However, the type of spiritual pride that I thought would be a mortal sin would be looking down on others who are not as "catholic"as you are, and considering yourself to be much better spiritually than you really are.
I am also concerned that pride when it relates to spirituality would be more serious than general pride.
I appreciate your comments however acknowledging other people’s apparent holiness does not equate to an ‘inferiority complex’. Of course if you’re always, yet again, put down in some way, it adds up.I guess yours was inferiority complex. I also experienced that sort of being under more spiritual people, but I realized that I should gain more profit from them by asking for their guidance. I developed spiritual pride at the peak of my ministry and successes ( I did wish for Jesus to humiliate or rather humilify me (humiliate to humble me down) and He did. It was very painful…but it revealed alot of things about me and my weaknesses.
I think now spiritual pride or pride in general is a great sin because it rationalizes and covers all of the person’s sins…such that the person is unwilling to repent or surrender to God his weakness. It made me really blind to my sins. It hid many of them.
well in my case…it is inferiority complex…but I’d like to say that subtly it is really pride behind it (I dont know exactly how to explain it) but it somehow bothers me that some people are really holier and this makes me want to be like them.I appreciate your comments however acknowledging other people’s apparent holiness does not equate to an ‘inferiority complex’. Of course if you’re always, yet again, put down in some way, it adds up.
I don’t understand how you can be blind to your sins: what about going through the 10 commandments? What ministry do you have?