M
Man_of_War
Guest
How’s about simply calling to Jesus and confessing to him. and he is just and righteous to forgive us our sins. It’s Biblical. Very simple.
Jesus, in the bible, said, “Whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven, and whose sins you retain they are retained.” This was said to his apostles right before he ascended to heaven.How’s about simply calling to Jesus and confessing to him. and he is just and righteous to forgive us our sins. It’s Biblical. Very simple.
This may help.How’s about simply calling to Jesus and confessing to him. and he is just and righteous to forgive us our sins. It’s Biblical. Very simple.
Hello Man of War. For someone who is not Catholic, this is a common hang-up. Just keep in mind when a Catholic goes to receive the Sacrament, he/she is conversing with Him directly. God is there, and we feel His presence when we’re there.Thank you very much! I have food for thought here, but confessing to another man who is human like me with faults, give me cause for reservation. I, like yourself love my master and Lord Jesus. It’s hard to wrap my mind around not conversing with him directly for forgiveness and friendship. I feel his kind presence and know he enjoys thanks giving and prayer always. Am I to assume that only through the church I can be with Christ but redemption comes upon the Churches approval? I feel as though such binds a very controlling relationship with Christ.
Your article has great points and I will pass it to some friends for their thoughts as well. You have been very gracious. Thank you!
May I also recommend a book…Scott Hahn’s Lord Have Mercy-The healing power of confession…for further reading.Thank you very much! I have food for thought here, but confessing to another man who is human like me with faults, give me cause for reservation. I, like yourself love my master and Lord Jesus. It’s hard to wrap my mind around not conversing with him directly for forgiveness and friendship. I feel his kind presence and know he enjoys thanks giving and prayer always. Am I to assume that only through the church I can be with Christ but redemption comes upon the Churches approval? I feel as though such binds a very controlling relationship with Christ.
Your article has great points and I will pass it to some friends for their thoughts as well. You have been very gracious. Thank you!
Hmm… if it’s a “clog in the process,” then what did Jesus mean in John 20:23? If apostles were given the authority to forgive sins, then isn’t this a process that Jesus intended?Well said. I think I’m beginning to understand a bit more about your faith. I just know that anyone can call upon the name of Jesus and accept him as savior and confess their sins to him. I did not realize there must be an intermediator for this process to happen, seems like a clog in the process.
Actually, no: Jesus forgave the sins of many who came to him, prior to his crucifixion. The critical notion is that it is by the authority of God alone that sins can be forgiven; in John 20:23, Jesus gives this authority to forgive sins in his name to the apostles.It is by his shed blood only that sins can be forgiven.
Why is that? You’d go to a doctor – “another man who is human like me with faults” – to receive physical healing; you’d go to a minister – “another man who is human like me with faults” – for baptism (in which your sins are forgiven)! What’s different about going to a priest, in order to receive the Reconciliation that Jesus detailed in John 20:23?confessing to another man who is human like me with faults, give me cause for reservation.
HMMM, Thank you, I’m listening and weighing things out. I was raised Catholic to the age of 15, but left because I wanted to hear more about Jesus, not long drawn out sermons that seemed to bore even the priest. I left and accepted Christ at an Assemby of God Church while in the Army in Germany, there I fell in love with the worship and felt Christ’s presence very strongly. Years later in the States I joined a Baptist Church where I learned much,but was burned out quickly with the weekly shouting and guilt trips.Hey Man of War! The Church teaches that it is Jesus Who forgives us through the priest. In fact, if the priest refuses to forgive someone who is truly repenting, or forgives someone who is lying about being sorry, Jesus can see into the heart of the person and “over rule” what the priest says.
The Church also teaches that if one is sorry for offending God, but is not able to go to confession (stranded somewhere without a priest, dies before he has the opportunity, etc.), Jesus will forgive him as long as he is willing to go to confession should the opprotunity arise. Jesus is not barring us from His forgiveness, but is asking us to come and seek it. I once heard a priest say (this is not verbatim) “Of course Jesus can work outside the sacrament! He’s God! He just wants to do it this way!”
Also, Matthew Kelly says that Jesus was acting as the “Divine Psychologist” when he started this sacrament because this way it is easier for people to relieve their need to talk to someone about the wrongs they have done. It also helps prevent us from tricking ourselves into thinking what we did wasn’t “that bad”. This is especially helpful for someone who is having trouble hearing God’s voice in their life.
Glad you are asking questions! I hope this was helpful; let me know if what I said was confusing.
God bless you!
Firstly, thank for your post, it is solid in content. I would just like to understand what makes a priest qualified to absolve sin, what rites are applied that the Holy Spirit abides in this fine man. I have known good priests regardless of the media, and they impressed me as great leaders with wit and genuine compassion.Hmm… if it’s a “clog in the process,” then what did Jesus mean in John 20:23? If apostles were given the authority to forgive sins, then isn’t this a process that Jesus intended?
Actually, no: Jesus forgave the sins of many who came to him, prior to his crucifixion. The critical notion is that it is by the authority of God alone that sins can be forgiven; in John 20:23, Jesus gives this authority to forgive sins in his name to the apostles.
Why is that? You’d go to a doctor – “another man who is human like me with faults” – to receive physical healing; you’d go to a minister – “another man who is human like me with faults” – for baptism (in which your sins are forgiven)! What’s different about going to a priest, in order to receive the Reconciliation that Jesus detailed in John 20:23?
I can see that someone else has already cited John 21 to you, so I won’t go over that again.Firstly, thank for your post, it is solid in content. I would just like to understand what makes a priest qualified to absolve sin, what rites are applied that the Holy Spirit abides in this fine man. I have known good priests regardless of the media, and they impressed me as great leaders with wit and genuine compassion.
The only area that really holds me back is the veneration of saints and of Mary. The Bible states we should not pray to familiar spirits. It all seems to over shadow Jesus. I don’t understand that. Jesus should be the only focus.
Now you are referring to Holy Orders. Jesus commissioned the twelve and gave them His authority (bind and loose, forgive and retain sin). Exercising that authority, the apostles appointed successors (Matthias replaced Judas). Those successors still exist as bishops in the Catholic Church. Priests are ordained by bishops. By virtue of their ordination, the priest has the same authority that Christ gave His apostles. When one separates from that line of succession, there is no authority.Firstly, thank for your post, it is solid in content. I would just like to understand what makes a priest qualified to absolve sin, what rites are applied that the Holy Spirit abides in this fine man. I have known good priests regardless of the media, and they impressed me as great leaders with wit and genuine compassion.
The only area that really holds me back is the veneration of saints and of Mary. The Bible states we should not pray to familiar spirits. It all seems to over shadow Jesus. I don’t understand that. Jesus should be the only focus.
One point to mention that apparently has been overlooked. Confession to a priest is only required once a year unless a mortal sin has been committed. A mortal sin is one that has serious matter, is done with full consent of the will, and with full knowledge of its seriousness.How’s about simply calling to Jesus and confessing to him. and he is just and righteous to forgive us our sins. It’s Biblical. Very simple.
Thank you friend this has been very helpful and kind of you, my eyes are opening.I can see that someone else has already cited John 21 to you, so I won’t go over that again.
The priest has this gift through the Sacrament of Holy Orders. The Catholic Church is unique in that EVERY PRIEST was ordained by a bishop, who was ordained by a bishop… …who was ordained by a bishop, who was ordained by Christ Himself. ONLY with this valid ordination may a priest hear a confession and say the prayer of absolution. APOSTOLIC SUCCESSION, and the SACRAMENT OF HOLY ORDERS are topics you may also be interested in. Please feel free to start a thread on both of these topics. Hope to see you there.
You may like this audio clip about Confession. youtube.com/watch?v=fZ0D-BLWY70
There are many threads here about intercession of saints, or you may start your own.
Hope to see you around.
God bless.
In addition to what’s already been shared with you:HMMM, Thank you, I’m listening and weighing things out. I was raised Catholic to the age of 15, but left because I wanted to hear more about Jesus, not long drawn out sermons that seemed to bore even the priest. I left and accepted Christ at an Assemby of God Church while in the Army in Germany, there I fell in love with the worship and felt Christ’s presence very strongly. Years later in the States I joined a Baptist Church where I learned much,but was burned out quickly with the weekly shouting and guilt trips.
Many jumped on the “Once Saved Always Saved” but were still dealing with repeated sin taking the" I just have to confess if I do it again". And that’s where I saw a weakness in non-catholic churches. Gods grace is free but should never be taken for granted. Where is the penance I began to wonder and still am.
Well…that is one thing…but not quite…and there is much more. I think this is in post 5 wherein you stated:*Job 42:
9 So Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite did what the LORD told them; and the LORD accepted Job’s prayer.
Question: Why did God, who spoke directly to Eliphaz, not just forgive him directly? And why did God order him to go through Job?*
Job pleased the Lord and by him was established a line of redemption for them. Am I correct? I am starting to see your point here. Thank sir.