Spot the young person at Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter goodcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goodcatholic

Guest
The Masses I attend have a high percentage of older folk. Sometimes I feel the youngest. (I’m 60) I do tend to attend the 7.30am or 8.00am Mass though.
It’s like human beings finally wake up towards retirement. “Maybe I need to start thinking about eternal life.” Or perhaps these people have been coming to Mass all their life. I don’t know.
I think in my twenties and thirtees I felt a little out of place at Mass. Hence why I hardly ever attended. (my secular phase)
Now. I’m feeling much more at home. There are some advantages to getting older! 🙂
 
I’m 35 so I guess that makes me the young person. I don’t mind really just as long as the church isn’t completely empty by the time I’m in my older years.
 
At weekday mass it is similar too where I am. I am probably one of the younger members of the congregation being in my late thirties. I think for alot of my peers it may been seen as a struggle to try to get to 8am mass then on to work in time. I am fortunate I am field based so 95% of the time I can arrange my first site localish to the parish.
 
The time I attend also has the children’s liturgy when they do that so in my case, I’m not the youngest. But the few times I’ve gone to a weekday Mass, I’m surrounded by old ladies. (22 for reference.)
 
Before kids and before we met, my husband and I regularly went to early Mass.

But if you think we can get up, get ourselves dressed, get the kids dressed and fed so as not to implode upon contact, drive a half hour to church for an 7:30 AM Mass every week, I’d like to know what drugs you are on. Perhaps if we were in the city and the drive wasn’t so bad, but not where I live. As it is we go to the 4pm Mass and leave at 3:15. We basically start to get ready at 2.

My husband and I both had gone to Daily Mass. But the 8am makes it tough, and the 9am makes it impossible. The 6:30AM was just too early. (all different parishes) The 7 or the 7:30’s were good.
 
Young is a relative term, but there is a mix of ages at my parish. The very olf (some parishioners are in their 90s, to several toddlers and all ages in between).
 
I’m 34, and when I go to weekday mass by my work (12 noon lunch break mass whoop whoop), I’m usually the whippersnapper.

However, I went to daily Saturday morning mass today at the church closest to me, not realizing it was in Spanish (stated as English on their signage) , and I was happy to see several younger people there 20s and 30s.
 
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
 
I find your statement true about weekday Masses, where retired folks have the time to attend in the morning. But on Sundays, throughout my life, at multiple parishes, I have always found a wide variety of age groups represented.
 
I can empathise with young people now. There are a lot of temptations out there which are far more thrilling than going to Mass. I have to be honest, going to Mass is still a discipline for me. I cant say I really love it. But sometimes I feel very connected spiritually. Hopefully this can happen more often in the future.
 
I was around 30 when I started really practicing. I am nearing 40 now, and and among the younger regulars, but there are people around my age and young families, and people a bit older but not elderly, and of course kids of various ages.

It also depends which Mass you go to. The early AM on Sunday is usually skewing older than the pm on Saturday or the later masses on Sunday.
 
the daily masses on non Holy Days are usually the oldest Masses in my experience. The reason is obvious. Work and school.
 
Sunday evening Mass is always youth Mass here.
Youth need to go out on sat night so can’t go vigil or get up early for sunday morning so Sunday night is ideal for youth.
 
I don’t like seeing young people at Mass since it bothers me and I just can’t concentrate and it distracts me for some reason.
 
Last edited:
I’m 15 and get weird looks at elderly people whenever I serve or visit a chapel under our PP’s jurisdiction. After the weird looks I’ll hear “Finally! A young man that has interest in God!” or something like that. I really like then they’re soooo sweet!
 
Where I live the “old” folks go to the vigil Mass except when they can not get home when it is still light out. When they do not go to the vigil, then they go to the noon Mass. They just feel more comfortable attending church at those times of the day.
 
I don’t get bothered by being with a bunch of people who are older than me. A Catholic is a Catholic and that’s all I see it as. I can’t say I have ever been intimidated or anything, if anything I feel more comfortable because older people are nice and Catholic older people are the best. Now what I do have to worry about is if my friend or a cute girl is next to me (kidding but not kidding lol).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top