St. Blaise

• Thread starter Thread starter IrishAm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IrishAm

I was pleasantly surprised this morning that our parish was offering the blessing of throats during Mass. I had anticipated it taking too long to be included in the Sunday liturgy – and am sure some thought it was as we were pulling out of the parking spaces while the next group of Mass goers were pulling in! Made me happy, though . . . 👍

Happy feast of St Blaise!

My parish also offered the blessing of throats after Mass. I am pleased that this old tradition is being upheld; it was a nice thing to see.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning that our parish was offering the blessing of throats during Mass. I had anticipated it taking too long to be included in the Sunday liturgy – and am sure some thought it was as we were pulling out of the parking spaces while the next group of Mass goers were pulling in! Made me happy, though . . . 👍
We did it at the end of Mass - made me happy, too! 🙂

Did your parishes have individual blessings?

The church I attend offered a general blessing for everyone @ mass.

We had individual blessings after Mass. I was wondering how they were going to do this being that St. Blaise’s feast day fell on Sunday this year!

We had the blessing of the throats at Mass last night too. I first time that I saw it was last year and I was so glad that we did it again this year too.

Unfortunately this was the Sunday for the annual diocesan appeal, so we didn’t have time. 😦

We did have the blessing of the throats as well at Mass today. Our Priest made sure we had a relic from the St. there also and used that with the individual blessings. Tim

On my way out of Mass this morning I said that I was expecting to get my throat blessed today. The priest looked surprised and said that’s what happens when he’s out of town for a week – he forgets things like that. So he blessed my throat and said he guessed I was the only one who would receive the blessing this year.

We had them after Mass ended as well. I thought it was wonderful!

we had a general blessing at the closing of mass, and then individual blessings after mass. i was surprised, about 3/4 of the people stayed for the blessing 🙂

It was also Scout Sunday with presentations of medals to the kiddos during mass, so we all got a general blessing of the throat.

Mass still ran about 20-25 minutes long which caused a bit of havoc. People started coming in for the next mass because they thought it should be over and the lots were a mess. Our masses are normally 800, 1000, 1200, 200, 430 & 700, so we barely have time to clear and get the new folks in even when we don’t run long.

I was still happy to get the throat blessing because we have some kind of respiratory yuck going around that seems to get better and then it kicks back up a week later. Our choir is decimated.

They were doing a general blessing after Mass in our parish, but at the 11:30 Mass which I attended, our pastor emeritus, who said the Mass, offered individual blessings afterwards. A lot of people lined up for it.
Does anyone remember the good old days when the priest would use lighted candles for the individual blessings?

Haven’t seen that since the 40’s.
They were still doing that in my parish when I was in Catholic grammar school in the late 50’s. And on Candlemas we school kids were allowed to hold lighted candles during Mass. That was so cool. And we never burned the church down.

Does anyone remember the good old days when the priest would use lighted candles for the individual blessings?
I’m not 100% sure but I think last year the blessing was done with lighted candles. I was home sick this year - sore throat 😃

James

They were doing a general blessing after Mass in our parish, but at the 11:30 Mass which I attended, our pastor emeritus, who said the Mass, offered individual blessings afterwards. A lot of people lined up for it.
I was wondering what the white things the Priest and Deacon were holding. 😊 The ones they used weren’t lit though.

I was wondering what the white things the Priest and Deacon were holding. 😊 The ones they used weren’t lit though.
we had two priests doing the blessings. one had two candles in an X shape, the other had a U shaped candle.

We didn’t have the blessing of the throats… and I can’t even find the feast day of St. Blaise on our calendar!:eek: Which Sunday was it?

I’m so sad that we missed out. 😦 Having our throats blessed as little children in parochial school is a very fond memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back