Star Trek original series - favorite episdoe

  • Thread starter Thread starter tomarin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tomarin

Guest
Do you have a favorite episode of Star Trek? A least favorite? Which ones and why?
 
Favorite “The Trouble with Trimbles.” Loved it, loved it, loved it. So funny with a lighter, less pompous touch than many other episodes.

Least favorite: “Spock’s Brain.” Could they have written anything sillier or more unbelieveable? :rolleyes:
 
Favorite “The Trouble with Trimbles.” Loved it, loved it, loved it. So funny with a lighter, less pompous touch than many other episodes.

Least favorite: “Spock’s Brain.” Could they have written anything sillier or more unbelieveable? :rolleyes:
Yeah “Spock’s Brain” is widely considered the worst of the worst season, Season 3. I guess it does go beyond campiness. The second most-hated episode of Season 3 appears to be the last Star Trek to air, “Turnabout Intruder”.

My least favorite is and has always been “The Omega Glory” (from Season 2, I think).

My most favorite is probably “All Our Yesterdays” but I’m not 100% certain that I have a favorite. There would be a lot of honorable mentions. The Pon Farr episode for example.
 
Do you have a favorite episode of Star Trek? A least favorite? Which ones and why?
My favorite episode is the one in which Capt. Kirk, Spock et al go back in time and Kirk falls in love with a woman who he finds out must be allowed to die because the world will suffer later on if she continues to live. IOW her death in a school fire must not be altered by Kirk. I don’t recall the name of the episode but I remember Joan Collins plays Kirk’s love interest. This one is my favorite since the plot reminds me of a good Twilight Zone episode.
 
Nice screen shot.

Is there a particular reason why this is your favorite, as opposed to say “Mirror, Mirror” or “Balance of Terror” or “Amok Time”? (all of which I can imagine being wildly popular, although we’ll see as more responses come in).

Added: it’s the Organians themselves, isn’t it? It’s satisfying the way they turn out not to be the hapless victims that everyone takes them for (i.e. Belgians).
 
My favorite episode is the one in which Capt. Kirk, Spock et al go back in time and Kirk falls in love with a woman who he finds out must be allowed to die because the world will suffer later on if she continues to live. IOW her death in a school fire must not be altered by Kirk. I don’t recall the name of the episode but I remember Joan Collins plays Kirk’s love interest.
“City on the Edge of Forever.” Yes that is surely one of the finest episodes of the series.
 
Favorite “The Trouble with Trimbles.” Loved it, loved it, loved it. So funny with a lighter, less pompous touch than many other episodes.

Least favorite: “Spock’s Brain.” Could they have written anything sillier or more unbelieveable? :rolleyes:
👍
 
I think my favorite is called “Return of the Archons”; the one with Landru. “Joy be with you, peace and contentment will fill you.” 🙂 I said that to my co-worker after we got our mandatory flu shots last year; she totally got it.
 
I think my favorite is called “Return of the Archons”; the one with Landru. “Joy be with you, peace and contentment will fill you.” 🙂 I said that to my co-worker after we got our mandatory flu shots last year; she totally got it.
I always found that one almost unbearably creepy. Plus it’s one of those Kirk talks the computer to death episodes. But it was creepy. Kind of reminds me of “The Wicker Man”.

Do you also like the “The Spectre of the Gun” where Kirk et al reenact the duel with Wyatt Earp and his gang?
 
I would also like to give a very dishonorable mention to “The Empath” and any other episodes that involve children that have turned against the adult world.
 
Cool, one of my favorite obsessions! First two seasons were absolutely stellar, too many wonderful episodes to mention.

Third season hit or miss. Personally, I love The Empath, The Enterprise Incident and The Tholian Web.
 
My favorite character in Errand of Mercy was Kor the Klingnon leader. He was the villain in the episode, of course, but he rather reminded me of Pontius Pilate–a put upon official trying to tame an inscrutable people.

My favorite line come from Kor who says, after the Organians deny the Klingnon Empire and Starfleet to go to war over them, “Too bad. It would have been galooorious!” Oh yeah, ya gotta love the Klingnon perpective of life. 😛
 
Cool, one of my favorite obsessions! First two seasons were absolutely stellar, too many wonderful episodes to mention.

Third season hit or miss. Personally, I love The Empath, The Enterprise Incident and The Tholian Web.
To be fair (and I want to be fair) I should probably re-watch “The Empath” now that I’m an adult to be sure about my ranking. I just remember as a kid the feeling I would get when I realized it was that particular episode, with all of its pyscho-drama and claustrophobia, that was airing. I’ve been selectively re-watching episodes and there have been some that are better than I remember them, some that are worse.
 
My favorite character in Errand of Mercy was Kor the Klingnon leader. He was the villain in the episode, of course, but he rather reminded me of Pontius Pilate–a put upon official trying to tame an inscrutable people.

My favorite line come from Kor who says, after the Organians deny the Klingnon Empire and Starfleet to go to war over them, “Too bad. It would have been galooorious!” Oh yeah, ya gotta love the Klingnon perpective of life. 😛
You must have an affinity for evil Klingon commanders!
 
Some people don’t like this one (thinking Spock is being nasty throughout…I think it’s highly entertaining) but it’s probably my favorite: That Which Survives. Scotty: “I’ll sit on the warp engines myself and nurse them.” Spock: “That position… would not only be unavailing, but also, undignified.”

“Mr. Scott, since we are here, your comment is not only illogical but also unworthy of refutation.” etc.

Doomsday Machine is good. I actually like Spock’s Brain. It’s goofy enough to be amusing…sort of like the Batman shows from that timeframe. Others mentioned are good (Amok Time, Balance of Terror, Mirror Mirror).

I never cared for Charlie X, The Naked Time (somebody important must have liked it, though, since they basically remade it in the Next Generation…)…

Dan
 
You must have an affinity for evil Klingon commanders!
Actually, I do, and I’m not even Russian. 😉 We got to know the Klingons better in the next generations of the series, but especially in Deep Space Nine. We came to know them as a noble people who are barbaric, but with their own code of honor–a warrior’s code which they ruthlessly apply to everyone. That’s their flaw–that they have such a hard time seeing things from outside their own universal view, much like the ancient Romans in that regard.
 
My favorite episode is the one in which Capt. Kirk, Spock et al go back in time and Kirk falls in love with a woman who he finds out must be allowed to die because the world will suffer later on if she continues to live. IOW her death in a school fire must not be altered by Kirk. I don’t recall the name of the episode but I remember Joan Collins plays Kirk’s love interest. This one is my favorite since the plot reminds me of a good Twilight Zone episode.
“City on the Edge of Forever”
 
Some people don’t like this one (thinking Spock is being nasty throughout…I think it’s highly entertaining) but it’s probably my favorite: That Which Survives. Scotty: “I’ll sit on the warp engines myself and nurse them.” Spock: “That position… would not only be unavailing, but also, undignified.”

“Mr. Scott, since we are here, your comment is not only illogical but also unworthy of refutation.” etc.

Doomsday Machine is good. I actually like Spock’s Brain. It’s goofy enough to be amusing…sort of like the Batman shows from that timeframe. Others mentioned are good (Amok Time, Balance of Terror, Mirror Mirror).

I never cared for Charlie X, The Naked Time (somebody important must have liked it, though, since they basically remade it in the Next Generation…)…

Dan
I just re-watched “The Doomsday Machine” and I have to say it seemed much better than I remember it. I especially like it when you can hear the terror starting to creep into Kirk’s voice as he’s ordering Mr. Scott to beam him off the Constitution as it comes dangerously close to the maw of the Doomsday Machine – “Beam me up, Scotty. Do it now, Mr. Scott…”

I mean, you know he’s going to make it out of there but it’s a very suspenseful moment. I think the transporter is malfunctioning at the last minute or something.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top