First I didn’t claim all diseases that afflict children as being the fault of their ancestors. I gave an EXAMPLE of how children sicknesses may come about. And you swoop down on it as if I made a claim for ALL diseases. And you are moving away from the discussion by talking about cancer in dinos. I don’t care about that. I want to see you prove that God is punishing these children. I am suggesting there are other reasons.
I feel like you’re being exceedingly disingenuous, or not actually reading my posts. My point is that you can not blame the existence of disease on “the fall.” The dinos point is that we know for a fact that disease predates human sentience.
Mutation is one way nature evolves. Those that don’t mutate and transform to a stronger organism dies. The environment changes…
And my point here is twofold- one, you said earlier in this very post “I didn’t claim all diseases that afflict children as being the fault of their ancestors.” Okay. So do you accept that some humans get a disease 100% naturally, not caused by any human action? If a child got smallpox in 100 AD, it would seem like nobody is at fault. Even if you didn’t claim that all children get diseases as a result of the deeds of their ancestors, those seem to be the only cases which you’re willing to talk about.
Second, this goes back to the minefield point. If your god exists, then ultimately you can’t use “not god’s fault, it’s natural!” If two parents get together and unknowingly create a child with a heretofore unknown crippling genetic disorder, your god is ultimately the one responsible. Why? Because DNA is his invention and he is all knowing. He knew that if he created DNA in its current form, there would be immense human suffering resulting from its imperfections.
If you want to live in a certain way, God actually let you. That’s freewill. His gift to us. If you want to do evil, he won’t stop you…
Again, more dis-ingenuity. Yes, people have the capability to impact their environment. But hurricanes and tornadoes long predate our current emissions patterns. You might blame humanity for hurricane Sandy, but hurricanes and tornadoes in the 1700’s are squarely on your god’s shoulders.
Even if our positions are different, somehow it made sense for you to blame my God for punishing children? And you just stated above that it makes no sense for you to blame anyone?..
It’s exceedingly simple. In my day to day life, I don’t blame your god for anything. I’d no sooner blame your god for AIDS than I would blame gremlins for stealing my shoes (“I know I left them right here!”). I don’t blame things I view as fictional for real problems. In my worldview, nobody is actually at fault for suffering- suffering just existence in our randomly formed world.
But what I’m doing here is saying IF your god exists, THEN he is to blame.
You are saying the one who made a widget is responsible for all the misuse that arose from using that widget? Cars kill, so we shouldn’t invent cars. Drugs, knives, nuclear devices, radiation devices all can kill if misused…
I have never said bacteria/fungi should not exist. You seem to imply that harm only results when these things are “misused”, again trying to implicitly put the blame for disease on human action. What’s the proper use of smallpox? Of the bubonic plague?
God made the best possible world in which he thinks is the best that allows his creatures to love , have free will and so on.
Okay Candide. So that implies that if your god changed this world, one of two things would happen: the world would get worse, or we would no longer be able to love/have free will.
So imagine if your god had just decided to remove smallpox from existence (from the begging). Would the world be worse? Would our freewill be impaired? Both?
No he wouldn’t make a world in which he intervenes every time somebody were to get hurt. That would make a very inconsistent world. Laws of nature must operate consistently. Otherwise the resulting mess is insanity. And that won’t be the best possible world. No he didn’t make a world to grant everyone their wishes to make them happy…
And that view is absurd and goes back to what I’ve been saying- human sinfulness cannot possibly be blamed for the existence of all the parasites, viruses, flaws in our own DNA, and so on, that plague mankind. It could be that your god introduced these things as punishment- but then this paints him as one who is punishing the innocent for the crimes of their ancestors.
You have to admit bacteria, fungi, germs have good uses other than causing diseases. So each time you catch a cold , you blame God? …
The existence of bacteria is not equivalent to the existence of the common cold- first and foremost, the common cold is virus driven. It’s improper to think that infectious disease is a misuse of viruses/bacteria/fungus. The common cold, the flu, the measles, smallpox, and so forth exist for one purpose: to multiply. In order to do that, they need human hosts. It just so happens that they have a negative impact on their hosts. Nothing is being misused- they are doing what nature intended. Or, if there’s a creator, they are doing their creator’s will. Because if there is a creator of all things, then he is also created the viruses just mentioned, and we aren’t the only things that were told to be fruitful and multiply.