R
rowenacg
Guest
I hope someone can give me some advice.
No-one in my family is Catholic, so I wasn’t brought up Catholic and can’t get personal advice from people I know who know about the Church.
I was confirmed at University last November at the age of 21, but during the meetings with the univeristy’s Priest to help prepare me, I asked him if I needed to go to Confession before being confirmed. He said “No no, don’t worry about that.” So I didn’t and got confirmed, being left with the impression that Confession is optional.
After a few months I strongly started getting the feeling that I wasn’t doing things right, so I started going to Confession. I did my best and have been trying really hard to live a moral life, but as I’ve been learning more from sites such as this one, it’s now plaguing me that because I didn’t confess all my sins before being confirmed that even my confirmation (and every subsequent Holy Communion and Confession) has been invalid.
What do I do? I was ignorant of how essential the sacrament of confession is before being confirmed (not helped by the Priest’s advice), but if it’s all invalid regardless then I’ll be heartbroken.
And, on a more practical level, how do I go about fixing it? I intend to mention it at my next confession on Saturday but I’m scared that the new Priest will say something like “How has it taken you this long to figure it out? You shouldn’t have made several invalid Confessions and received Holy Communion unworthily goodness knows how many times since if you didn’t even know that you weren’t confirmed properly”.
I so want to live my faith my properly but I feel at such a disadvantage that I wasn’t brought up in it and instructed properly

No-one in my family is Catholic, so I wasn’t brought up Catholic and can’t get personal advice from people I know who know about the Church.
I was confirmed at University last November at the age of 21, but during the meetings with the univeristy’s Priest to help prepare me, I asked him if I needed to go to Confession before being confirmed. He said “No no, don’t worry about that.” So I didn’t and got confirmed, being left with the impression that Confession is optional.
After a few months I strongly started getting the feeling that I wasn’t doing things right, so I started going to Confession. I did my best and have been trying really hard to live a moral life, but as I’ve been learning more from sites such as this one, it’s now plaguing me that because I didn’t confess all my sins before being confirmed that even my confirmation (and every subsequent Holy Communion and Confession) has been invalid.
What do I do? I was ignorant of how essential the sacrament of confession is before being confirmed (not helped by the Priest’s advice), but if it’s all invalid regardless then I’ll be heartbroken.
And, on a more practical level, how do I go about fixing it? I intend to mention it at my next confession on Saturday but I’m scared that the new Priest will say something like “How has it taken you this long to figure it out? You shouldn’t have made several invalid Confessions and received Holy Communion unworthily goodness knows how many times since if you didn’t even know that you weren’t confirmed properly”.
I so want to live my faith my properly but I feel at such a disadvantage that I wasn’t brought up in it and instructed properly