R
rwillenborg
Guest
I posted this same topic a while back, and many people offered advice and exegesis, but I’m afraid I’m back for more. And this time, it’s personal…
here’s my situation - my husband has always been one who is, I would say, excessively worried. When our daughter was six months old and had the sniffles, he was certain there was a bacteria eating through her skull.
In the time I’ve known him, he has thought he has had polio, scurvy, cancer, and a broken rib cage.
So, anyway, in light of the recent earthquakes, he thinks we should do the following:
The last time I posted this question (I wasn’t this specific), I got alot of answers along the lines of ‘Well, he is supposed to LOVE YOU!’ Yeah, I get that. And make no mistake, he does. That’s why he’s like this. Because between me and the children, is his whole heart. I am absolutely serious when I say that if anything were to happen to me and the kids, I suspect the civilized world would never see him again. I’d bet on it.
So, make no mistake, that man DOES love me. With every fiber of his being.
Another type of answer I got was ‘Well, this sounds crazy, so clearly, you wouldn’t have to obey him’, but, I have to be honest here, the scripture doesn’t say ‘Obey your husband unless he is trying to liquidate the kids’ college accounts’ It just says ‘obey’. There is no stipulation for craziness.
What I am ACTUALLY doing is just saying no. I am saying no to all of this. We’re not moving. We’re not buying guns. No, no, no. And people say that might be deflating his ego, but I think living in squalor in northern Michigan might also deflate his ego.
So, my question is - in this specific situation, how could a wife obey her husband?
here’s my situation - my husband has always been one who is, I would say, excessively worried. When our daughter was six months old and had the sniffles, he was certain there was a bacteria eating through her skull.
In the time I’ve known him, he has thought he has had polio, scurvy, cancer, and a broken rib cage.
So, anyway, in light of the recent earthquakes, he thinks we should do the following:
- Sell everything we own and spend it on rations, guns, gold and silver.
- He thinks we each need four guns. Currently, we have zero. That’s eight too few guns, according to him.
- Move up to northern Michigan. He says we need to be at least 300 miles away from any city. There are no jobs in northern Michigan, and I hate the snow.
- He’s already spent alot of money on ‘emergency food’. They’re like those military meals. I suggested that I just make sure we had a nice supply of things like peanut butter and soups and stuff in the cellar, but he points out that none of THOSE things say emergency anywhere on them and so they are insufficient.
The last time I posted this question (I wasn’t this specific), I got alot of answers along the lines of ‘Well, he is supposed to LOVE YOU!’ Yeah, I get that. And make no mistake, he does. That’s why he’s like this. Because between me and the children, is his whole heart. I am absolutely serious when I say that if anything were to happen to me and the kids, I suspect the civilized world would never see him again. I’d bet on it.
So, make no mistake, that man DOES love me. With every fiber of his being.
Another type of answer I got was ‘Well, this sounds crazy, so clearly, you wouldn’t have to obey him’, but, I have to be honest here, the scripture doesn’t say ‘Obey your husband unless he is trying to liquidate the kids’ college accounts’ It just says ‘obey’. There is no stipulation for craziness.
What I am ACTUALLY doing is just saying no. I am saying no to all of this. We’re not moving. We’re not buying guns. No, no, no. And people say that might be deflating his ego, but I think living in squalor in northern Michigan might also deflate his ego.
So, my question is - in this specific situation, how could a wife obey her husband?
