B
Brady54
Guest
I was asked why does a priest read prayers during Mass instead of saying them from the heart. I didnt have an answer.
Thanks
Thanks
Simply put, the mass, which is Christ’s one sacrifice, belongs to Christ, and so is properly done only in one form - consistent worldwide. It is not a shoot-from-the-hip affair, since, at the mass, we stand both at the Last Supper and at the foot of the Cross.I was asked why does a priest read prayers during Mass instead of saying them from the heart. I didnt have an answer.
Thanks
Simply put, in addition to many prayers that are different every Mass, the priest should make every effort to celebrate the Mass as close to the books as possible.I was asked why does a priest read prayers during Mass instead of saying them from the heart. I didnt have an answer.
Thanks
I must here recommend that you obtain a copy of Catholicism for Dummies. It is an invaluable, almost indispensable resource on our faith. Have a look.I was asked why does a priest read prayers during Mass instead of saying them from the heart. I didnt have an answer.
Thanks
Hi Brady,I was asked why does a priest read prayers during Mass instead of saying them from the heart. I didnt have an answer.
Thanks
This is a great explanation!Simply put, the mass, which is Christ’s one sacrifice, belongs to Christ, and so is properly done only in one form - consistent worldwide. It is not a shoot-from-the-hip affair, since, at the mass, we stand both at the Last Supper and at the foot of the Cross.
By contrast, a protestant service does not render Christ’s sacrifice at Calvary present to the congregation, so the form and purpose of the service are quite different.
there are 4 main Eucharistic prayers and several others that can be used, different prefaces for each feast and season, and changes and additons to the Eucharistic prayers for most feasts and seasons. It would be a phenomenal priest to have all that memorized. The priest may not change the words to suit himself, his mood, his personal preference. He prays with and for the Church, and he prays with and for Christ, so he uses the words of Christ and his Church, not his own words. The minute he starts changing things, trouble starts.I was asked why does a priest read prayers during Mass instead of saying them from the heart. I didnt have an answer.
Thanks
Yes. This is the answer. To change even one word is objectively grave sin Together with that one should use every means not to make every means to say each word properly.Yes, you will see priests who are 40 years past their ordination, and they still use the Sacramentary. The priests simply want to be certain to pray the Mass 100% correctly every time.
I think you mean “from memory.”I was asked why does a priest read prayers during Mass instead of saying them from the heart. I didnt have an answer.
Thanks
That’s the old Evangelical complaint that formal prayer doesn’t have the same value as spontaneous made up prayer.I was asked why does a priest read prayers during Mass instead of saying them from the heart. I didnt have an answer.
Thanks
There may be a certain amount of truth to that. However, most of us wouldn’t know what to say if someone were to put a microphone in our hands and tell us to pray and make it sound like a prayer. We’re good at saying “let us pray to the Lord, Lord hear our prayer” however.That’s the old Evangelical complaint that formal prayer doesn’t have the same value as spontaneous made up prayer.
Not a fan of the Eastern rites I see?Simply put, the mass, which is Christ’s one sacrifice, belongs to Christ, and so is properly done only in one form - consistent worldwide. It is not a shoot-from-the-hip affair, since, at the mass, we stand both at the Last Supper and at the foot of the Cross.
Purpose, yes. But formwise, there’s often very little difference at all. Except that a traditional Anglican or Lutheran service will often be more reverent and traditional.By contrast, a protestant service does not render Christ’s sacrifice at Calvary present to the congregation, so the form and purpose of the service are quite different.
Um I could just as well say that Catholicism tends to turn God into nothing but empty ritual. But that would be inaccurate, mean, and pointless, right?It’s part and parcel of the tendancy of Protestantism to spiritualize God down into nothign more than an emotional feeling.
Haha yes. Some people have the gift for spontaneous prayer. But I think most don’t. And in such cases they shouldn’t inflict themselves on the rest.And don’t be fooled. Most Evangelical pastors write their prayers ahead of time and read them or memorize them. Either that or they draw from a body of prayer that they use regularly. You can usually spot spontaneous prayer “From the heart” as it usually has the word “Just” every third word. “Lord Jesus, we just want to come before you and we just thank you and just ask you to just be with us…”