I’ve reiterated this story before, but I’ll tell it again as a point of view based on personal experience.
I had an old, wise, prophetic pastor who once said, “I think you’ll be doing cleaning. You won’t like it much and you won’t be doing it for long, but I think the Lord will just want you to hear about a ghost.”
He also predicted I’d lose the government job I then had, and that I’d become Catholic.
He would have made that prediction circa 1990/91 as he died himself in 1992.
I lost my government job in 1995.
I became Catholic around 1996 or 1997.
I was doing a cleaning job in 2006 for about 4 months, didn’t like it much, and heard about a “ghost”. Apparently the ghost was that of a manager who committed suicide by hanging himself in the basement of old store I was cleaning.
To cut a long story short I contact the local priest circa 2008 and asked for a mass to be said. He said he would, but I kept getting this nagging query as to whether he had. After all I was just a strange voice on the phone with a peculiar story.
But around 2010 I just “happened” to notice an Australian priest on this forum (I think the only one I’ve seen), and he just “happened” to be located in the very same church where I’d rung the original priest, no more than a few hundred metres from the store in question.
So we had a brief exchange of em ails viar the Forum resources, and he assured me he definitely would have a mass said.
I checked the church web site a few months, ago, and he’s since moved somewhere else.
So … If there was a reason for the “Lord wanting me to hear about a ghost”, I first had to lose my job so that I’d even do a clearning job in the first place. Then I had to become Catholic so I’d even think about having a mass said. Then I had to do a cleaning job for a short time, not like it much, and hear about a ghost. Tlhen against all the odds I had to hear about a singular Australian priest on this very forum who just happened to be right where I needed him, at the very time I was having my doubts about a mass being said.
Coincidence? I don’t think so.
My opinion was that this particular suicide was doing his purgatory in the very store where he committed suicide. Since I’ve read somewhere the average Purgatory stay is about 40 years, then he was in that store for somewhere from 40 to 50 years, not much outside the average.
In other words, I don’t know just what God’s judgement is on suicides. But that’s my story, based on experience.