Syracuse University Bans Boy Scouts

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tim_in_MI
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim_in_MI

Guest
I saw this story on Fox last week. Being a BoyScout myself once, I wrote the Dean an email, objecting to their stance. Here is her reply:

Thank you for your letter. Syracuse University, like the Boy Scouts of America, is a private institution which is authorized to establish the policies by which it will operate. Syracuse University acknowledges the substantial good works performed on behalf of men and boys by the Boy Scouts of America. However, this work is performed pursuant to a policy that excludes some individuals from participation. While Syracuse University remains willing to host a discussion of this issue on its campus, programs that support the policy of the Boy Scouts of America must be pursued at a location other than Syracuse University property.

We respect that you may hold views different from those of Syracuse
University, but we remain firmly committed to our policy of inclusion.

Sincerely,

Anastasia L. Urtz

Anastasia L. Urtz, J.D.
Dean of Students
Syracuse University
301 Steele Hall
Syracuse, NY 13244-1120
phone: (315) 443-4424
Alurtz@syr.edu

What she failed to mention is that Syracuse is the recipient of millions of dollars of public funding. Unbelievable.
 
40.png
TPJCatholic:
Refresh my memory, is that a Catholic university?
Nope, I didn’t know this till I looked:

1870
The Methodist Episcopal Church, which had established Genesee College in Lima, New York, but was unhappy with its remote location, passes a resolution at its state convention to establish a college in Syracuse. The resolution becomes a reality on March 24, when Syracuse University is chartered.

Being an Irish Catholic, I was always suspecious of them calling themselves orangemen. 😉
 
I am a Scout, and a member of the Order of the Arrow (almost Eagle…).

This kind of thing really makes me mad. I went to the linked site, Scouting for All…I’ve seen their stuff before. Scouting For All seems to be a rather incomplete title–the other half is “those who believe what we do”

May St. George intercede for the preservation of the Scouts!

-ACEGC
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top