Take a minute to introduce yourself before Mass begins

  • Thread starter Thread starter georgewithfaith
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree šŸ‘

I pray, rosary, etc… before mass and I can’t stand all of the chatter before mass. It has often put me in a foul mood and I should be at peace not aggrivated with my neighbor.😦
With all due respect, this one is on you, friend.

I dislike the ā€œgreet your neighborā€ thing as much as anyone else – and have also struggled with my own annoyance – but the aggravation you feel should not be pinned on other people. Forgive me, but that is uncharitable and self righteous.

Because the greeting nonsense occurs at seemingly every parish in my vicinity, and because it is at worst a minor issue, I simply nod politely with my hands behind my back if someone catches my eye or flip through the missal or the hymnal. I strive to push aside my annoyance because it is all me – most of these people have no idea that the greeting is inappropriate, after all.

I hope this helps.

Peace,
Dante
 
I was brought up Southern Baptist and this ā€˜greeting your bothers and sisters in Christ’ was how every Sunday service started. I agree that it isn’t appropriate at the start of Mass because of the presence of Our Lord and the fact that so many take that time to pray, but it was nice to give a quick handshake/hug to everyone. We had a potluck lunch together after service two times a month too and that was always nice.
 
With all due respect, this one is on you, friend.

I dislike the ā€œgreet your neighborā€ thing as much as anyone else – and have also struggled with my own annoyance – but the aggravation you feel should not be pinned on other people. Forgive me, but that is uncharitable and self righteous.

Because the greeting nonsense occurs at seemingly every parish in my vicinity, and because it is at worst a minor issue, I simply nod politely with my hands behind my back if someone catches my eye or flip through the missal or the hymnal. I strive to push aside my annoyance because it is all me – most of these people have no idea that the greeting is inappropriate, after all.

I hope this helps.

Peace,
Dante
Do we not greet our neighbor at the sign of peace anyway?

Please forgive me for wanting a quiet reverent environment to pray before mass :gopray:

When I am praying and I can’t even hear myself think because everyone thinks it social hour at the country club, sorry but I turn to them and give them the shuush!

Just one of the many examples of the modern mass.
 
I changed parishes about 5 years ago because of this very thing. I’m not into ā€œglad-handingā€ at Mass. Thought thats what the parish hall was all about.
Exactly!

Thankfully, a couple of times a year, our pastor reminds everyone of the value of quiet to prepare for Mass. We have a well attended social gathering after every Mass. Father also regularly reminds us to move out of our regular groups of friends, to introduce ourselves to strangers and to stay connected to our parish family in between Sunday Masses. But once we are inside the Church, he expects quiet. šŸ™‚
 
It seems right for Father to expect people to be silent before mass to prepare ourselves, but somewhere there has to be some kind of community, it must vary at every parish but at the one I go to, it seems there is an inner circle of people who are ā€œactiveā€ and know each other and only talk to each other.

People are pretty silent as they leave mass as well. Our priest is pretty strict in regards to correct form regarding the mass which is good, but there is such a lack of warmth and friendliness in the church. It’s sad. I’m really thankful I have good Christian friends who aren’t in this church or I would be sunk.
 
Do we not greet our neighbor at the sign of peace anyway?

Please forgive me for wanting a quiet reverent environment to pray before mass :gopray:

When I am praying and I can’t even hear myself think because everyone thinks it social hour at the country club, sorry but I turn to them and give them the shuush!

Just one of the many examples of the modern mass.
It isn’t a problem that you want quiet before Mass. The problem comes when neighbors are asked to great each other and somehow you are upset at the neighbor who is simply doing what they are told.🤷

I won’t even touch how you politely ask people to be quiet. "give them the shuush??? Really.
 
It isn’t a problem that you want quiet before Mass. The problem comes when neighbors are asked to great each other and somehow you are upset at the neighbor who is simply doing what they are told.🤷

I won’t even touch how you politely ask people to be quiet. "give them the shuush??? Really.
Yes, really. Right before mass begins it is announced… a reminder that there is to be no chatting, but most keep on doing it anyway. So if the ā€œtalkersā€ annoy me with their endless chat they get ā€œshuuush!ā€ and I usually give them the look that goes along with it.:tsktsk:

Regardless, we were talking about chatting before mass. Greetings are done during the sign of peace, are they not? What you are speaking of seems to encourage more chatting before mass. 🤷

I’m glad my priests believe in a reverent environment before mass and actually stand up for those of us who wish to ā€˜prepare for mass’ šŸ‘
 
Greetings are done during the sign of peace, are they not?
Ok, so you do greet people during the sign of peace. You don’t just say, ā€œpeace be with you?ā€ You say ā€œhello, it is good to see you, my name is XXXXXX, may the peace of Christ be with you,ā€ right?
 
I visited a Church the other day and the music minister asked us to introduce ourselves to our neighbors nearby us. Now sometimes I pray before Mass. What if I had been kneeling and praying? That would have been kind of intrusive because everyone stood up and started talking.
Well, if it were me and I was kneeling and praying, I would just continue to kneel and finish my prayers. The person next to you would surely see that you are occupied.

But I don’t think it’s a bad thing to introduce yourselves to your neighbors before Mass starts. One of the reasons why we attend Mass is to pray as a community and private prayer is not enough. The early Christians attended together, and the gatherings were smaller, and everyone knew each other, and there was a sense of community and family. Part of the reason why people are active in their religious communities is fellowship. And one of the reasons why people don’t go to Mass (among not wanting to, not having time, whatever) is because they feel alone in a big place, don’t know anyone, feel like they’re amoung strangers, don’t get that sense of community that others say they feel when they go to Mass. Therefore, they don’t feel the need to pray ā€œtogether as a groupā€ because that’s not what they’re doing. I can’t really picture in my mind the Apostles being all quiet and silent at the Last Supper. I’m sure they were talking and interacting as a family before Jesus got serious and got down to heart of it all.

I just don’t see how being Catholic can be a lifestyle and a calling to be Catholic together, if everyone is a stranger to the next one.

If you don’t want to introduce yourself to your neighbor, just don’t. It’s okay, people who see you kneeling and praying will understand that you’re praying. But I personally don’t feel offended at the request to make your neighbor feel welcome.
 
I introduce myself before every Mass

ā€œHi God, it’s me, an unworthy sinner, have mercy one meā€
šŸ‘ My sentiments Exactly.

I sincerely hope I’m not going to sound off as Anti-Catholic or Anti-Christian by being a
party-pooper here.

I’ve seen enough of an influential Predestination flair for the dramatics enter into differentiating aspects of Catholic Liturgy in these last 25-30 years.

#1. Greeters at the main doors just on inside beginning at the entrance nave of the Church behind the last pews.

Outside of Mass I always thought when devout Catholics were entering the Church they were entering the House of God which primarily is House of Prayer for the People of God.

In these last five years all I’ve seen is a house of distraction and noise at the entrance of the Church, which has essentially become a common Meeting Hall for Gossip and the days events. Far, far more than just a place to acknowledge Greeting of your fellow parishioner which can be acknowledged charitably in a quiet humble manner without disturbing other fellow devout Catholics who want to prayerfully acknowledge Jesus Holy Presence inside the Tabernacle.

This seems to be almost completely ignored today without being rudely distracted by boisterous obnoxious noise. I fail to understand to Protestant practice that has infiltrated many Parishes today.

#2. And of course we have the totted much more accepted custom of the communal Peace of Christ just before Holy Communion.

Am I being really picky here? These are after all originally Protestant practices that now have a distinctive Catholic Wash-over flair to it.
 
Ok, so you do greet people during the sign of peace. You don’t just say, ā€œpeace be with you?ā€ You say ā€œhello, it is good to see you, my name is XXXXXX, may the peace of Christ be with you,ā€ right?
If my church were to start this practice pre-mass then I would find another parish. I am there to worship the Lord not make it into a country club atmosphere (which seems like everyone wants these days.) I really don’t see the point. I know I will not remember this person or that person’s name when I am focused on our Lord. I think parish pot luck suppers and activities are for meeting members of the congregation and making friends.

I’m glad our priests respect those of us that desire a reverent environment to ā€˜prepare for mass’
 
If my church were to start this practice pre-mass then I would find another parish. I am there to worship the Lord not make it into a country club atmosphere (which seems like everyone wants these days.) I really don’t see the point. I know I will not remember this person or that person’s name when I am focused on our Lord. I think parish pot luck suppers and activities are for meeting members of the congregation and making friends.

I’m glad our priests respect those of us that desire a reverent environment to ā€˜prepare for mass’
So your answer would be no, you don’t introduce yourself.

Do you attend the pot luck suppers? Are you a member of any parish organizations?

I only ask because I see many people attend mass, walking in, talking to no one, walking out, talking to no one. I have never seen them at any activity. They too believe that they are there only to focus on the Lord. But what about Community, the Body of Christ?🤷
 
So your answer would be no, you don’t introduce yourself.

Do you attend the pot luck suppers? Are you a member of any parish organizations?

I only ask because I see many people attend mass, walking in, talking to no one, walking out, talking to no one. I have never seen them at any activity. They too believe that they are there only to focus on the Lord. But what about Community, the Body of Christ?🤷
You have to remember that the Catholic Church today isn’t the same as the early Church that was established by Christ. It’s evolved into something much bigger, (and no offense, with all due respect, an even sterile) organization from the small, close-knit community that it started out as. It’s fragmented and spread out as a whole, and on the regional level as well.

Some people crave for that community, and some people would rather worship alone. I guess it just depends on the individual. I’m just wondering how many more people would go to Mass if they were an actual part of the community then left alone.
 
You have to remember that the Catholic Church today isn’t the same as the early Church that was established by Christ. It’s evolved into something much bigger, (and no offense, with all due respect, an even sterile) organization from the small, close-knit community that it started out as. It’s fragmented and spread out as a whole, and on the regional level as well.

Some people crave for that community, and some people would rather worship alone. I guess it just depends on the individual. I’m just wondering how many more people would go to Mass if they were an actual part of the community then left alone.
Please don’t think me as insensitive, and I’m all for community involvement in the Church but, a Catholic person does have to ask themselves first and foremost why they chiefly go to Mass. The best community friend any Catholic could possibly have comes down upon the Altar at every Mass.

Peace
Chris
 
Please don’t think me as insensitive, and I’m all for community involvement in the Church but, a Catholic person does have to ask themselves first and foremost why they chiefly go to Mass. The best community friend any Catholic could possibly have comes down upon the Altar at every Mass.

Peace
Chris
Amen šŸ‘ Thats whose friendship I constantly crave, my Lord and Savior.

I am honestly not at mass to socialize with members of the congregation. I recently read a survey about majority of Catholics go to mass for networking. Networking :confused: Sad indeed.
 
Amen šŸ‘ Thats whose friendship I constantly crave, my Lord and Savior.

I am honestly not at mass to socialize with members of the congregation. I recently read a survey about majority of Catholics go to mass for networking. Networking :confused: Sad indeed.
Sad that you see it that way. Because Christ is in each one of us. Amazing how many Catholics miss this, thinking that Christ is only present in the Eucharist. When Jesus confronted Saul, he asked him, ā€œSaul, why do you persecute me?ā€ Did Saul persecute Christ? On the surface, the answer is no. Saul persecuted Christians. But to persecute Christians is to persecute Christ himself. To ignore those other Christians we worship with at Church is to ignore Christ. Switch to biology, every cell of the body works together, they don’t just respond to the brain. Why should the Body of Christ be any different?
 
The buzz of talking before Mass is highly distracting and disturbing to me. There would be plenty of time for people to do that AFTER Mass in the hall, in the narthex, or outside (in nice weather) except after Mass everybody is in a rush to run away as fast as possible. Fact is, if people run away after Mass, isn’t that kind of telling that they really don’t want to be speaking to people anyway? They only do it before Mass because they (apparently) have nothing better to do while they wait.

I think all that behavior has to stop and it starts with the pastor. He needs to instruct everyone on how to behave reverently in church. In the church I used to attend, the pastor had a huge sign on the board in front of the entrance that stated: ā€œReverence for the Blessed Sacrament includes SILENCE in the church.ā€ Guess what? Nobody talked in church there. There was silence before Mass and after Mass they’d talk outside or in the narthex or hall. There was no limitation of being a community. That church had a great community that did a lot of things together.
 
Phoenix, I would have remained in my seat and AFTER Mass we would have had a nice conversation because I share your views. Of course if you told me that you were a pro abortion liberal Democrat even though I disagree with that point of view I would hope to show charity and remain seated next to you instead of moving away from you.
:amen:

Pleased to meet you, georgewithfaith!

:curtsey:
 
Our parish members gather in the narthex to catch up, handshake, hug & chat … also in the community center where we have coffee and donuts & Knights of Columbus breakfasts… but there are large signs on the doors of the sanctuary that instruct us to enter & remain in silence and also to genuflect.

That’s the way I like it.

To prepare for mass, I need to talk to God, not my neighbor.
 
No wonder so many protestants are turned off the true faith if this is how we treat each other!

I attended a parish where someone would stand on the altar and welcome us to Mass at the time it was meant to start, so people kneeling could have time to stand up, he’d usually say what time of the year it as for the Church and a little bit about the Mass or any special reason we were having it. THEN he’d ask us to introduce ourselves to our pew neighbours.

Yes, mass is supposed to be about God, but you really think God would want us to ignore the people celebrating it next to us? Brothers and sisters in Christ, the family of God, what kind of family doesn’t even think to say hi to one another? How utterly snooty, not to mention rude.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top