Hello Cat,
Please see the second half of par. 45 in the GIRM. While a period of silence is not forced upon us, it is encouraged by the church.
Even before the celebration itself, it is commendable that silence to be observed in the church, in the sacristy, in the vesting room, and in adjacent areas, so that all may dispose themselves to carry out sacred action in a devout and fitting manner.
I think a quiet prelude is nice (besides in lent and advent), but it’s still good to have at least a couple seconds of silence between the prelude and the cantor announcement/hymn/introit.
When I play a prelude, I end it a a few minutes before Mass starts to allow for a moment or two of silence. I was taught (in my Protestant church) that the purpose of the prelude is to turn the hearts of the assembly to the Lord and away from everyday life.
After Mass, I like to play a postlude. But then I run into problems with people who insist that we are supposed to have quiet in the nave AFTER Mass as well as before Mass.
Everyone, what I don’t understand is why those who are bothered by human noise don’t just learn to ignore it while they pray. Whenever people complain about noise before and/or after Mass, I always remember Saint Maximillian Kolbe and the Masses he prayed at Auschwitz. From what I have read of the concentration camps, they were ALWAYS noisy. Often the Nazis would play loud music to over the loudspeakers. And there was always violence, fighting, arguing, moaning, crying, screaming, gunshots, beatings, etc. Yet the saint offered Mass. I doubt that he complained about all the noise.
I want to be like him and find quiet in the midst of chaos and peace in the midst of violence. Doesn’t that make more sense than getting irritated, annoyed, angry, etc. with your brothers and sisters in the Lord?
I ask all of you to think about how many years or decades you have been bothered by noise before/after Mass. How many YEARS have you spent fuming and stewing about this and considering “action plans” for making it stop?
Has it stopped? Has all your worry and upset produced the peace and quiet that you desire? I’m willing to guess “no.” I’m willing to guess that even if Father has spoken with the people, or implemented some kind of “quiet” zone in the nave, that after a few months, the people forget and go back to being noisy humans again. That’s just the way we all are. I honestly, truly don’t think that you will have success ever in this life on this earth making the noise stop.
So why not make the noise in your HEART stop? Why not find a way to retreat to your “quiet place” in your soul and shut out all the noise and cacaphony around you? Doesn’t that sound much nicer than being upset so often?
Works for me.