Taking leftover Pepsi

  • Thread starter Thread starter John121
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You took something that you believed to be abandoned. That is to say, you believed that the previous owner had relinquished ownership. When you took the item you had a reasonable belief that nobody claimed it as his own property. I would say that you did nothing wrong. You made an incorrect judgement, but you did not knowingly or intentionally do anything wrong.

When you realised that you had made a mistake you replaced the item with one that was identical. The definition of theft usually involves the intention to permanently deprive the owner of his property. In effect, you returned the owner’s property to him. You could say that you inadvertently borrowed the item.

I would not think that this would constitute stealing in any sensible person’s view. I am sure that the Garda would give you exactly the same answer, but I would not recommend wasting their time with it.
 
It’s called a catholic school ? It is a Christian brothers school !
 
Just some info when the church separated from state in Ireland they took over catholic schools and from talking to a priest and a teacher they stopped teaching the catechism in the schools and the teacher said they don’t teach the Bible because they view it unfair on other religions.
@John121 above you stated that the State runs the school. While a name may still be carved on the building, this is a state run, secular school.
 
@John121 @paperwight @TheLittleLady Would this be what is called in Ireland a voluntary secondary school? These schools receive most of their funding from the state, but they are nonetheless privately owned and managed. Many are privately owned and managed by the Catholic Church. This is similar to the way in which many Catholic schools are organised in the UK but would be confusing to people in the US, where state-funded schools are secular and religious schools are privately funded.
It’s called a catholic school ? It is a Christian brothers school !
I understood that the Christian Brothers ceased involvement in education in Ireland in 2006.



It’s not clear when you left school, but I assume that the school that you went to is now part of the Edmund Rice Schools Trust. This would mean that it is a Catholic school.
 
Last edited:
I do not know the laws about education in Ireland.

In the US, state funded schools may not favor any one religion over another, they are to be neutral on religion.

From the little I have read, the laws in Ireland allow State Funded Catholic schools to give preference in admissions to Catholic students.

The school can have a compulsory Religion class, however, I’d imagine that as the " The Irish constitution says that the state may not endorse any particular religion and guarantees freedom of religion." that these classes will be. as you said, aimed at treating all religious equally.
 
Fire. And. Brimstone. Fer reel. But there’s a way out though. As penance, add back a second can of Pepsi, so that you’ll not only have replaced the original one, but you’ll have compensated for the distress caused by your theft with the additional can. Make sense?
 
The school can have a compulsory Religion class, however, I’d imagine that as the " The Irish constitution says that the state may not endorse any particular religion and guarantees freedom of religion." that these classes will be. as you said, aimed at treating all religious equally.
I’m not sure who you’re responding to, but if you are replying to my comment, I certainly didn’t say that. I have no idea what happens in religious education in Ireland. I just know how Irish schools are funded by the state. Perhaps some Irish forum members can tell us more about it.
 
Our original poster. In error I hit the wrong “reply” arrow, please, I beg your forgivness
 
Aha! No need to beg forgiveness! 😀 I think I was a bit careless and didn’t realize your comment referred back that far. It certainly sounds peculiar.
 
I really want to ask if the pepsi was open and flat, as it was ‘leftovers’
 
This whole thread makes me wonder if I need to go back 35 years and confess the four or five times I ate (stole? ) my college roommates’ leftover food. I forgot about it till now to be honest.
 
Last edited:
Move on from this mistake. My advice: do not drink Pepsi or any other soda. Not a healthy choice. Drink water and natural fruit juice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top