TAN books in financial trouble

  • Thread starter Thread starter GregoryPalamas
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GregoryPalamas

Guest
Tan Books is in financial troubleforums.catholic-convert.com/templates/fisubsilversh/images/lang_english/icon_quote.gifforums.catholic-convert.com/templates/fisubsilversh/images/icon_up.gif forums.catholic-convert.com/templates/fisubsilversh/images/icon_report.gifHere are a few portions of an e-mail they sent me

*This is one of the two most distressing letters I have ever had to write you. On February 18, 2005, TAN once again had to file for protection under Chapter 11 Bankruptcy law!

As a result, we are in a very dangerous situation during the next 4 to 8 months while the Chapter 11 filing is in effect, because we have to demonstrate to the Federal Bankruptcy Court that we are able to pay all current bills - that is, we have to show that we can make a profit during these months - and at the end of this period be able to shoulder our old bills besides, according to an approved monthly Payment Plan.

If we cannot show a profit to the Court during the next 4 to 8 months, the Court will probably appoint a trustee to come in and liquidate TAN under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy law - in other words, they will close us down and sell off our assets!

That is why I am calling on you to help us with your best possible order for books at this time - and/or your best possible donation to our Book Mission fund if you have enough books - in order to make 100% certain that TAN consistently shows profit during these normally slower months and will survive the present Chapter 11 period. We desperately need your financial help to insure that TAN keeps going and comes through this Chapter 11 period successfully (the next 4 to 8 months). We must insure that during the 4 to 5 months immediately ahead, which are normally slow months, TAN still meets all its current expenses and that we can demonstrate conclusively to the Bankruptcy Court that we can also show a profit and can reasonably shoulder the repayment of the old debt according to whatever Payment Plan we get approved.*

I’m thinking about placing an order to help them out. If it weren’t for them, so many Catholic classics would be out-of-print. You can go to their site at www.tanbooks.com
 
Hi, I’m always game to buy books. What would you suggest? There seems to be an extensive list and I don’t know anything about this publisher

Lisa N
 
Tan is a great service. I hope and will pray they do not go under. They are authentically Catholic and orthodox.
 
Lisa N:
Hi, I’m always game to buy books. What would you suggest? There seems to be an extensive list and I don’t know anything about this publisher
Here are a few worth buying. :yup:

tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/howt1188th.jpg How To Avoid Purgatory
Fr Paul O’Sullivan, O.P.
$2.00 Product Details Add to Cart

tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/sinn1031th.jpg The Sinner’s Guide
Ven Louis Of Grenada
The favorite author of St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, and others!
$15.00 Product Details Add to Cart

tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/euch1047th.jpg Eucharistic Miracles
Joan Carroll Cruz
Amazing! Illustrated! Reinforces the Church’s doctrine on the Real Presence!
$16.50 Product Details Add to Cart

tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/stor1384th.jpg The Story of A Soul
St. Therese of Lisieux
Famous auto-biography and spiritual journey of St. Therese of the Child Jesus.
$6.75 Product Details Add to Cart

tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/inco0199th.jpg The Incorruptibles
Joan Carroll Cruz
The bodies of 102 saints and blesseds. 33 illustrations. A famous classic!
$16.50 Product Details Add to Cart

tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/loc1943th.jpg The Life of Jesus Christ And Biblical Revelations*** NEW!***
Ven. Anne Catherine Emmerich
$60.00 Product Details Add to Cart

tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/secr0106th.jpg The Secret Of The Rosary
St. Louis De Montfort
Famous and ever-popular! 4 million sold!
$3.00 Product Details Add to Cart

Click to buy a book.
 
I teach Church History. One of my favorite books for undergraduates is “The Thirty Three Doctors of the Church”. I recommend that published by Tan.

Dan L
 
Hmmm, they say they are a Catholic Bookstore yet they do not care the Catechism of the Catholic Church nor do they carry the Documents of Vatican II.

But they do seem to carry a lot that is critical of Vatican II.

Makes one wonder. :hmmm:
 
40.png
ByzCath:
Hmmm, they say they are a Catholic Bookstore yet they do not care the Catechism of the Catholic Church nor do they carry the Documents of Vatican II.

But they do seem to carry a lot that is critical of Vatican II.

Makes one wonder. :hmmm:
What do they carry that is critical?
 
I have a book from TAN publishers called Catholic Apologetics Today by Fr. William Most. It’s a fairly small book with a purple cover. I like it, it’s well-written and makes lots of good points and argumentes.

If I had some extra money, I would definitely buy more from them. They have lots o’ books that look interesting.
 
TAN is a publisher NOT a Bookstore (although you can buy direct). That is why they don’t carry everything. They publish long out of print Catholic works and it would be a real shame if they go under.
 
I would also recommend This Is the Faith by Canon Francis Ripley. I’m not very impressed w/ TAN on the business side–we’ve had to wait 9mo from date payment was cashed to shipping for one of our ordered books, so I will mention that as a cautionary. We buy more from Ignatius, ordinarily.
 
40.png
cabiria:
TAN is a publisher NOT a Bookstore (although you can buy direct). That is why they don’t carry everything. They publish long out of print Catholic works and it would be a real shame if they go under.
Thank you for pointing that out. I stand corrected.

But they seem to publish much that is critical of Vatican II.
 
I think they criticize some of the abuses which have come out of Vatican II, but not the Council itself.

I highly recommend Miracles of the Eucharist, or any of Joan Carroll Cruz’s other titles. Tan also publishes Blessed Mary of Agreda’s Mystical City of God…
 
I teach Adult Catechesis in our parish, and I use Tan books regularly. This Is The Faith by Canon Ripley is an excellent resource. We as Catholics really need to support our all things Catholics, specifically all things orthodox Catholic. If we set aside some of our money to support publishers, bookstores, a particular apostolate, our Catholic institutions would be strong and vibrant. There are supposedly 63 million Catholics in this country. Granted, if we deduct the culturally Catholic and the cafeteria Catholics, we could still support our institutions with a roboustness and vigor that would prevent any of them from going under. Tan provides a valuable service. Their books educate us. For many of us, it was books that led us back to the faith (not unfortunately our bishops), so we should really make an effort to keep these institutions afloat.
 
I have a few Tan publications…they are excellent books…I like them and I hope they don’t go under.
 
Thanks for the recommendations. I bought several books and told them I heard about them on Catholic Answers. Hope this helps

Lisa N
 
40.png
GregoryPalamas:
On February 18, 2005, TAN once again had to file for protection under Chapter 11 Bankruptcy law
How is this possible? They publish plenty of good books, reprints of classics you can’t get anywhere else. And why “again”? Does anyone know any background to this?
 
I know nothing about TAN, but it should be noted that all is not doom and gloom if they go under. As noted in the letter, the court would liquidate TAN’s assets. This means that the rights to some of these books would come into the hands of other publishers, who may be more fiscally responsible and provide better customer service.

Of course the older books are in the public domain, so there is nothing stopping other publishers from printing them, except lack of demand and the prospect of competing with TAN for a tiny market. However, while the content may be public domain, TAN has these books in a ready-to-publish form, so that may lower the cost of publishing for a potential successor to TAN.

Just some thoughts.
 
40.png
buzzcut:
How is this possible? They publish plenty of good books, reprints of classics you can’t get anywhere else. And why “again”? Does anyone know any background to this?
Tan has been having bankrupcy problems for years, probably at least 5. I don’t remember things like that well, and did not save their letters, so I can’t go back and look. I do remember getting letters in the past about their bankrupcy status.

They do have a number of nice books. A few of their selections worry me, but most are wonderful.
 
I can’t believe no one has mentioned what is probably the most important book they have: Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma by Ludwid Ott. This is a must have for anyone even remotely interested in apologetics.

And yeah, they have some questionable material. Here is the review from Catholic Culture: catholicculture.org/sites/site_view.cfm?recnum=219 (Note: Need to register)
TAN Books and Publishers was founded by Thomas A. Nelson in 1967 and is now one of the largest publishers of orthodox Catholic books in the United States. The site features an excellent design, hundreds of titles on a large variety of topics, an e-Newsletter, online ordering, and much more. There is even a section devoted to ideas for gifts. Unfortunately, this great resource is marred by its inclusion of a few titles that tend to undermine the authority of the Church by attacking the New Mass.
Scott
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top