Tattoo question?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wonderingCatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. I don’t like that part of the design, personally. There are other Miraculous Medal designs online that have a cleaner look. But then I tend to like tattoos that are simple and stylised rather than the more realistic designs. But that is just my opinion and it’s not going to be tattooed onto me!
 
No it’s not, just lions. I thought that the back of the medal with Lillie’s would look really good on the bottom. Personally it reminds me of Jesus and Mary. Also daises at the top would be perfect too.
 
Last edited:
well… It reminds me of Nala and Simba… Especially with the new movie coming out.
 
Christians are divided on whether tattoos are acceptable, and there is no clear-cut teaching on the topic.

The Bible only includes one possible mention of tattoos, in the Old Testament book of Leviticus, which includes the command: “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you”.

I personally believe tattoos are not something I would look forward to put on. I believe God’s work is much better than any tattoo I might place. There is also a concern of how tattoos could damage the skin, since after all they are not a natural process of the body.

I would rather have my “Christian faith” engraved in my heart and soul then put any tattoo at all.
 
Well you asked if it was ok to add more tattoos. I gave my opinion which I am entitled to just as you may have a different opinion, since there is no clear Church teaching that I am aware of.

However tattoos are not a natural process and might damage the skin, plus the fact that it can be difficult to remove if you no longer wanted them. God did a very good job with the skin I have, no need for me to add anything to it.
 
You’re right, I’m not getting any new ones I’m just touching up the old ones. As far as the Old Testament reference, I thought Jesus broke all those laws? Like male circumcision for example.
 
Christians are divided on whether tattoos are acceptable, and there is no clear-cut teaching on the topic.
It’s clear that the Church does not forbid tattoos, or consider them sinful unless they portray blasphemous or pornographic images.

There’s no question about this whatsoever.

Some priests and some Catholics do not like tattoos. That doesn’t make them sinful, though.
 
Not break, rather fulfilled with its true meaning. See Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.”

Another consideration that warrants prudence is the amount and placement of tattoos. Your face, neck, or other highly visible areas are probably not wise places to mark your body. In other words, don’t express your grief by getting tattoo tears!

As with anything, moderation is also important. While a tattoo is not wrong, it is excessive and probably immoral to cover your entire body in ink. It is certainly not in accord with the virtue of temperance and the scriptural command to exercise “moderation in all things.” I admit it is difficult to choose a point when tattoos become excessive, but it is always best to exercise a high degree of caution.
 
Last edited:
As far as the Old Testament reference, I thought Jesus broke all those laws? Like male circumcision for example.
Yes, Jesus dispensed with the OT laws except for the Ten Commandments. Basically, we follow the two commandments given us by Jesus, and the Ten Commandments provided by Moses.

The Jewish Law forbade tattoos, as I understand it. This does not apply to Catholics. At all. Period, final.
 
Hello I have tattoos from before, and I was adding some catholic things to them. I wanted to put a rosary through one of them. However I already have crosses and would like to put a miraculous medal instead of a crucifix at the end, and I just wondered if that would be ok?
I actually like the idea of adding a rosary to a “string of 5 tigers.” Sounds amazing. 😃 👍
 
Here’s a pic of what I decided!
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
It’s on my right back leg between the tigers. So my Marian tigers!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top